Will Classic WoW have old PVP ranking system?

Classic Discussion
Yes the old ranking system will return with classic. This does not require your permission or approval.
11/12/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Zenshigen
I hope not, because the old honor system makes absolutely no sense today, we are not pooling from a group of 200-300 people for high ranks anymore, pvp should be based around skill and not time spend grinding random bgs.

You needed skill to own up BG's and grind. Old PvP system greater than now. The old PvP system is where Legends were born.
it will probably be like it was in 1.12, like everything else that isnt related to the hardware or or security changes

we are likely to have much higher realm capacities with sharding this time though, so that would make an impact on the old honor system
11/13/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Abombanation
Old PvP system greater than now.

ROFL. Yes, PvP players notoriously prefer grinds over systems designed around climbing via skill.

11/13/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Abombanation
The old PvP system is where Legends were born.

The old PvP system is where that South Park episode came to life. Truly legendary.
Will be a sweet gift when the pvp rank system is redone for todays standards and all the tears of the no changers just flow like a river tbh, cant wait.
11/13/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Zenshigen
Will be a sweet gift when the pvp rank system is redone for todays standards and all the tears of the no changers just flow like a river tbh, cant wait.

Tbh that makes you sound like an a******
11/13/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Zenshigen

it will be like it was in 1.12, and plenty of people will complain about that too

if you paid attention you would see that they are not changing much from 1.12, other than whats related to the modern hardware and anti cheat stuff. i guess there is color blind mode too
If it doesn't then it's not classic. I busted my butt to get to the rank of Lieutenant so i could see all the jazz that was the officer's hall.
I only made it as far as General in vanilla and was 1 week off grinding out warlord.

The classic honour system was a pyramid... it didn't matter how good you were at PVP, it didn't matter how much PVP you did, it was only about how much honour you farmed in relation to everyone else farming honour.

11/13/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Zionfist
if you paid attention you would see that they are not changing much from 1.12, other than whats related to the modern hardware and anti cheat stuff. i guess there is color blind mode too

They also outlined progressive release of content so its not a 1.12 sandbox even though the talents/client is based on it, an extension of that is itemisation (even though they explicitly said no itemisation change), if a later patches raid content is not available it doesn't make sense for the catch up items to be in the game (agrent dawn/silithus revamps).

They also they mentioned they will not retune\change raids. Again once play testing begins I expect they will secretly tweak numbers as later talents/gear trivialises earlier content a little too much.
U gained honor by killing individual players 3-4 times per day. After that they were worth no honor to you. There was also no cross server pvp back then so you were limited in the number of opposing faction you could farm per day. Not sure if there will be cross server pvp in classic.
Be sure to get in good with the group at the top who decides who's rank 14 next week.
11/13/2018 03:15 PMPosted by Lightouch
There was also no cross server pvp back then so you were limited in the number of opposing faction you could farm per day. Not sure if there will be cross server pvp in classic.

1.12 did have crbgs
every reset, there was a tab in-game that would tell you how you placed in honor gained for the previous week in relation to everyone else on your faction/server.

around the time arathi basin was released and for about a month after, i felt as if all i did was pvp. i'm talking 12 hours+ a day with a dedicated team and every single one of those weeks, i never hit #1 for my faction/server; the best i ever did was #2 several times.

rank 14 generally required the top pvpers to coordinate among each other to pull back a little in select weeks in order to allow someone else to hit rank 14 so they would stop being competition. i wasn't even warlord yet and there were several people ahead of me in line for rank 14 on my premade team and i was already incredibly burned out so i called it. it's a pretty stupid system, but it's entirely optional, i guess.

this was personal, but part of my problem at the time with the grind was i took it too seriously too early. it's a mistake to take it seriously until you're rank 10 or 11 or so. this was also before the implementation of BG weekends so because AB was the most recent BG released, it was ALL that popped. doing AB over 12 hours a day for weeks/months is !@#$ing terrible.
So here's how you find the answer to this question... was it in 1.12.1? Yes it was so it will be in classic.
11/14/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Starrs
So here's how you find the answer to this question... was it in 1.12.1? Yes it was so it will be in classic.

i mostly agree with you, but i think it's a reasonable thing to wonder if something as problematic as the original pvp grind would be included in the new iteration.
11/12/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Ephemere
High Warlord was hard but not from a skill standpoint but rather the time it took to farm all the honor to get you there. You had to be the top dog on your server.

The level of time management skill required to go after a high PvP rank "back in the day" was really awe inspiring. I was constantly amazed that some people could find the amount of time to even try to get high PvP ranks, while juggling full-time jobs, family responsibilities and a social life, but somehow they did.
11/12/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Vaenora
11/12/2018 07:10 PMPosted by Härländ
you will adapt if you're any good at video games.

There's no adapting to the Vanilla rank grind. It was purely based around time investment relative to the rest of the playerbase.

That's not true though.

Someone putting in 3 hours with a good premade can probably get about as much honor as someone who puts in 8 hours playing solo. Having a good premade makes a huge difference. You can win all of your games in 5 minutes a game instead of maybe winning half of them in 20+ minutes.