The price of potions is unsustainable

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
I've sent north of two hundred thousand gold on battle potions of agility since the release of raids in BFA because, just like every expansion, my guild expects me to use them twice every pull.

It's not like I don't want to use them either, since they increase your damage done.

It's simply the price. It's ridiculous. The change of mats required to 10 riverbud and 8 sirens pollen hasn't changed anything. They're still 500g-750g each. When you use 30-50 per progression raid night, that's 200k gold in 10 raid nights, or 3-5 weeks for most guilds.

That coupled with the fact that it takes about an hour and a half or more to farm the mats yourself for only 15-20 potions, it's like Blizzard wants bots to be the only people that have gold.
I sell hair gel at Silvermoon 5k each, Promise to keep that bounce even at the most dreaded hair flips
10/12/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Stryg
I've sent north of two hundred thousand gold on battle potions of agility since the release of raids in BFA because, just like every expansion, my guild expects me to use them twice every pull.

that is part of the raider mentality.

been this way for ages now.

Hence why herb/alch are always best early on in xpacs and fall off late xpac.

If you dont like it....make an herb/alch alt and spend an hour farming a day and you can make your needed weekly ones and sell excess.

That coupled with the fact that it takes about an hour and a half or more to farm the mats yourself for only 15-20 potions,

umm...find better farming routes?
in an hour I can amass multiple stacks of varied herbs. thats ALSO stopping for mining nodes (as my dh is a dual gatherer so a dedicated herb would do it faster)
If you dont like it....make an herb/alch alt
^This

It's funny that I'm an alch and I haven't bothered making pots to sell...really ought to get on that. Maybe then the price will come down for you, OP.
10/12/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Brahmina
If you dont like it....make an herb/alch alt
^This

It's funny that I'm an alch and I haven't bothered making pots to sell...really ought to get on that. Maybe then the price will come down for you, OP.

yuuuup. I sell enough excess after supplying myself and two friends with raid pots that I was able to buy a few tokens.

herb farming isn't as bad as people say it is. it's pretty quick and easy to get PLENTY of herbs. I keep myself and my inscription alt fully stocked on herbs by farming for roughly three hours a week spread across a few days.

It's not like I don't want to use them either, since they increase your damage done.

It's simply the price. It's ridiculous. The change of mats required to 10 riverbud and 8 sirens pollen hasn't changed anything. They're still 500g-750g each. When you use 30-50 per progression raid night, that's 200k gold in 10 raid nights, or 3-5 weeks for most guilds.

That coupled with the fact that it takes about an hour and a half or more to farm the mats yourself for only 15-20 potions, it's like Blizzard wants bots to be the only people that have gold.

Which is why I farm herbs and make my own. Don't even need the dreaded anchor weed for pots.
If you're spending 200k+ ... if you're THAT serious about raiding...

... and you DON'T have an herb+alchem alt...

... then you're not that serious.

Because if you were, you'd know, that's what's required. If it was just showing up and pressing buttons for 3 hours, a couple more people would do it. It's all the OTHER work, too. And one way or another, you pay for it.
10/12/2018 01:55 PMPosted by Seger
I sell hair gel at Silvermoon 5k each, Promise to keep that bounce even at the most dreaded hair flips

Lol
not everyone has professions or wants to do professions. the prices are much higher this expansion than other expansions. telling someone to just get a profession is missing the point. besides, if it's so easy then why do these potions cost so much? supply obviously isn't keeping up with the demand and it's probably due to the recipes for the potions.
10/12/2018 03:30 PMPosted by Lockedheart

that is part of the raider mentality.

been this way for ages now.

Hence why herb/alch are always best early on in xpacs and fall off late xpac.

If you dont like it....make an herb/alch alt and spend an hour farming a day and you can make your needed weekly ones and sell excess.

That coupled with the fact that it takes about an hour and a half or more to farm the mats yourself for only 15-20 potions,

in an hour I can amass multiple stacks of varied herbs. thats ALSO stopping for mining nodes (as my dh is a dual gatherer so a dedicated herb would do it faster)

Every raider I know is currenly alch or herb as one of their professions, but we raid 3 nights a week and when you have other hobbies and a life, its hard to find the time to log in to blindly farm gold just so you aren't the dirtbag in your raid group who doesn't want to pre-pot.

I only play this game to raid and if blizz isn't ok with that they aren't going to convince me to play more with this change, but they may make me skip another expansion and hope they don't !@#$ up the next one.

10/12/2018 03:41 PMPosted by Brocknor
If you're spending 200k+ ... if you're THAT serious about raiding...

... and you DON'T have an herb+alchem alt...

... then you're not that serious.

Because if you were, you'd know, that's what's required. If it was just showing up and pressing buttons for 3 hours, a couple more people would do it. It's all the OTHER work, too. And one way or another, you pay for it.

You are an LFR hero who has no idea what it takes to raid in BFA. I raid 9 hours a week, and that is the bulk of my wow play time. I won't give up other things I enjoy just because I really should be clicking nodes in the open world.

If clicking nodes was fun, I would do that instead of raiding, its not, and for most of the game you could raid successfully without professions, or when they had bonuses, you just took the 2 best bonuses for your spec, and maxxed the professions, and forgot about them.

Professions in wow are not fun, thats why I have never cared about them in my entire time of playing this game. If you are the type of player who just like going around in your sky golem clicking on nodes, thats great, but don't force the rest of us to play that very boring minigame.
OP is correct. My guild just downed H G'huun last night, and has spent 1.5 million on consumables for progression this tier . . . and that's on TOP of all the farming that the raiders themselves did. (Which was more than we had to do before.)

1.5 million is more than we've ever spent on any tier prior, for a team of 20-25.

I'm farming almost as much as I'm playing the content I enjoy.

This is a problem.
10/12/2018 03:30 PMPosted by Lockedheart
in an hour I can amass multiple stacks of varied herbs.
Yeah, so can I.

It takes roughly 7,000 - 8,000 herbs to feed my team prepots/flasks per raid night.

Let that sink in.
10/12/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Zandozan
not everyone has professions or wants to do professions. the prices are much higher this expansion than other expansions. telling someone to just get a profession is missing the point. besides, if it's so easy then why do these potions cost so much? supply obviously isn't keeping up with the demand and it's probably due to the recipes for the potions.

Well, he could do some math and see if buying the herbs and actually crafting the pots would be cheaper, but supply and demand always seem pretty on par for prof stuff.

Telling someone if they don't like spending the gold then make them yourself isn't harmful though because there's still two options. I don't usually like farming mats, but I don't have the gold anymore and I hate spending gold in the first place more than I hate farming.

He could also make friends with an alch person and see if they could work out an arrangement for cheaper pots. Getting upset about prices when there are other options is just... bad.
Part of the problem is the predicament around the lack of a Potion of Prolonged Power equivalent. It wasn’t as powerful as other potions, but it was a plus and pretty easy to have plenty.

That’d be a good use for Hyrdocore or Sanguicell
The alchemists are going to come out of the woodwork here and hate on your post, OP, but I agree. I believe I made a few forum posts months ago about potions being too expensive/cost too many materials to craft. It's so bad that Method uses Potion of Prolonged Power for prepot.
10/12/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Kirela
10/12/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Zandozan

Well, he could do some math and see if buying the herbs and actually crafting the pots would be cheaper, but supply and demand always seem pretty on par for prof stuff.

Telling someone if they don't like spending the gold then make them yourself isn't harmful though because there's still two options. I don't usually like farming mats, but I don't have the gold anymore and I hate spending gold in the first place more than I hate farming.

He could also make friends with an alch person and see if they could work out an arrangement for cheaper pots. Getting upset about prices when there are other options is just... bad.

Post on your raid main so I know you now what your talking about. If you don't suck down stacks of potions every single raid night you literally have no idea just how expensive raiding is right now.

You saying every raider should just spend more hours farming isn't going to get people to dedicate more of their limited time to the game, they will just cut raiding and wow out of their lives completely, and the guilds and players who stick around will be fighting the roster boss the entire expansion, and if the pool of raiders dwindles too much, some guilds will just no longer be able to field a raid team.

If you think this a good change for the health of the game please explain your reasoning.
Prices won't come down much until flight is added. You can thank Blizzard for your astronomically priced damage enhancers.
10/12/2018 03:57 PMPosted by Oakttg
you literally have no idea just how expensive raiding is right now.

Well thanx for buying all the consumables and draining your gold

It will sustain because we are talking about gold in the game since WoD, for the first few patches of bfa you can expect 200 -500 g pots.

This is why right now spending gold is whack, wait for sometime and prices will come down drastically expect under 50 k tokens in winter
Potions are 500g each on my server.

we use across 20-23 people 20-40 potions a person an evening of raiding.

this is between 200,000g and 400,000g A NIGHT. on potions.

This is like 600k-1.2m gold a week in potions. This is absolutely asinine. Anyone who says this isnt a problem doesnt raid.
10/12/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Sphinctus
Anyone who says this isnt a problem doesnt raid.
Exactly. I'm the guild alchemist. I make everything from cauldrons to prepots to HP and mana pots.

I've done the math, and it's scary.