The price of potions is unsustainable

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
10/12/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Oakttg
<span class="truncated">...</span>
thing is I'm already doing something I don't want (herbing) and couple hours is enough for only one night of progression.. which leaves me constantly doing it every single week so far I can't catch a bloody rest from the herbing simulator it's annoying me more than my raid leaders think..

I can grind out a wow token with less than an hour of real world work, then buy the pots on the AH, I started leveling herb and alch, but the amount of time it would take to grind out in game isnt worth it when I can put less effort into the real world, buy a token, and have more hours to do things I want to.

If you really don't like herbing just farm real world money and convert it to gold.

good for you I guess? and no, you're not going to tell me how I do my things in game but you do what you do.. if it works for you then good for you.
Blizzard could care less. They want the use potion mentality to die in a fire anyway.
10/12/2018 03:46 PMPosted by Oakttg

that is part of the raider mentality.

been this way for ages now.

Hence why herb/alch are always best early on in xpacs and fall off late xpac.

If you dont like it....make an herb/alch alt and spend an hour farming a day and you can make your needed weekly ones and sell excess.

umm...find better farming routes?
in an hour I can amass multiple stacks of varied herbs. thats ALSO stopping for mining nodes (as my dh is a dual gatherer so a dedicated herb would do it faster)

Every raider I know is currenly alch or herb as one of their professions, but we raid 3 nights a week and when you have other hobbies and a life, its hard to find the time to log in to blindly farm gold just so you aren't the dirtbag in your raid group who doesn't want to pre-pot.

I only play this game to raid and if blizz isn't ok with that they aren't going to convince me to play more with this change, but they may make me skip another expansion and hope they don't !@#$ up the next one.

10/12/2018 03:41 PMPosted by Brocknor
If you're spending 200k+ ... if you're THAT serious about raiding...

... and you DON'T have an herb+alchem alt...

... then you're not that serious.

Because if you were, you'd know, that's what's required. If it was just showing up and pressing buttons for 3 hours, a couple more people would do it. It's all the OTHER work, too. And one way or another, you pay for it.

You are an LFR hero who has no idea what it takes to raid in BFA. I raid 9 hours a week, and that is the bulk of my wow play time. I won't give up other things I enjoy just because I really should be clicking nodes in the open world.

If clicking nodes was fun, I would do that instead of raiding, its not, and for most of the game you could raid successfully without professions, or when they had bonuses, you just took the 2 best bonuses for your spec, and maxxed the professions, and forgot about them.

Professions in wow are not fun, thats why I have never cared about them in my entire time of playing this game. If you are the type of player who just like going around in your sky golem clicking on nodes, thats great, but don't force the rest of us to play that very boring minigame.

You sir, don't know sh!t about raiding, then. If you <snort> actually think you're competitive, then you farm what you need to farm, buy what you can't/don't want to, and like it. And you don't whine on the forums about it. 9 whole hours a week raiding and that's the bulk of your play time? You sir, are just as much of a casual as we are.
10/12/2018 03:55 PMPosted by Onlinecutie
The alchemists are going to come out of the woodwork here and hate on your post, OP, but I agree. I believe I made a few forum posts months ago about potions being too expensive/cost too many materials to craft. It's so bad that Method uses Potion of Prolonged Power for prepot.
Hah, not RAIDING alchemists. I'm too busy trying to provide my guild with flasks and potions to even think about actually selling anything (or have anything left to sell for that matter). I'm spending more time than I ever have before trying to make 6 cauldrons a week for raiding purposes. And let's not even discuss the pre-pots.

And fish for feasts. I think I'm spending more time farming than I am actually raiding.
LOL. It’s fine. Farm for your pots if you need to. Don’t touch my alchemy and herb markets. My guild gives me the mats needed to make our cauldrons and I get to to keep the extra procs.

I also get to keep all the extra battle potion procs from all the guild ones who give me the Mats to make them their battle potions. This more than enough covers my raiding needs and also leaves me heaps to sell. I got it it set up pretty sweet.
They only cost that much because people are willing to buy it.

If you do not like the price withhold or make them yourself until the prices are what your willing to pay.
Legion Alchemy was great. Stat potions were dirt cheap to make because Bloods were always in good supply, and they still sold pretty decently. Starlight Rose was incredibly abundant for making flasks as well.

Now, there is no such system. Flasks are dependent on one rare herb and potions require flask-level material costs. On top of that everyone and their mother is out farming herbs on their Druid or Sky Golem. And Siren's Pollen is one of the most annoying things I've ever had the displeasure of farming because of its scarcity, yet it's required for almost every recipe.

If I didn't raid or do high level mythic+ I'd be drowning in gold right now. But I simply cannot afford to sell what I farm because it all goes towards flasks and potions for my Hunter. The rate at which I use them is unsustainable even if I try to ration them. Otherwise I'd have to spend several hours a day just running around picking herbs, if I wanted to actually start making some gold of my own...
10/12/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Zandozan
not everyone has professions or wants to do professions. the prices are much higher this expansion than other expansions. telling someone to just get a profession is missing the point. besides, if it's so easy then why do these potions cost so much? supply obviously isn't keeping up with the demand and it's probably due to the recipes for the potions.

What do you expect to happen? Blizzard to set a max price per potion. People will charge what they want.
10/12/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Stryg
I've sent north of two hundred thousand gold on battle potions of agility since the release of raids in BFA because, just like every expansion, my guild expects me to use them twice every pull.

It's not like I don't want to use them either, since they increase your damage done.

It's simply the price. It's ridiculous. The change of mats required to 10 riverbud and 8 sirens pollen hasn't changed anything. They're still 500g-750g each. When you use 30-50 per progression raid night, that's 200k gold in 10 raid nights, or 3-5 weeks for most guilds.

That coupled with the fact that it takes about an hour and a half or more to farm the mats yourself for only 15-20 potions, it's like Blizzard wants bots to be the only people that have gold.

Learn to make them yourself.
10/12/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Stryg
I've sent north of two hundred thousand gold on battle potions of agility since the release of raids in BFA because, just like every expansion, my guild expects me to use them twice every pull.

It's not like I don't want to use them either, since they increase your damage done.

It's simply the price. It's ridiculous. The change of mats required to 10 riverbud and 8 sirens pollen hasn't changed anything. They're still 500g-750g each. When you use 30-50 per progression raid night, that's 200k gold in 10 raid nights, or 3-5 weeks for most guilds.

That coupled with the fact that it takes about an hour and a half or more to farm the mats yourself for only 15-20 potions, it's like Blizzard wants bots to be the only people that have gold.
better get out there and farm your herbs bud because it's time consuming making these things.
not everyone has professions or wants to do professions. the prices are much higher this expansion than other expansions. telling someone to just get a profession is missing the point. besides, if it's so easy then why do these potions cost so much?

#1 if your not using ANY prof...you have no rite to QQ about cost. as you are skipping income opportunity.

#2 They are higher...and that is becasue...
a) tons of gold was put into the economy casue of the token boom.
b) early on in xpac where gold isnt handed out in fistfuls by misisonboard.
c) people know they can sell em high becasue they know people will buy them if they cant make em themselves.

supply obviously isn't keeping up with the demand and it's probably due to the recipes for the potions

except supply isnt an issue. Its the simple concept of herb/alch know their profs are REQUIRED by raiders so they keep prices as high as possible (it slowly lowers with undercutting) and it stays liek that. Unlike tailors and bags ppl know not to crash the herb/alch market by selling low.

I only play this game to raid and if blizz isn't ok with that they aren't going to convince me to play more with this change, but they may make me skip another expansion and hope they don't !@#$ up the next one.

raiding requires effort outside of actually raiding.

you dont just start in raid gear afterall ^_~

if you cant accept that then since your time is sooooooooo precious buy tokens for gold and get em that way :|

The game isnt gonna change becasue of the economy driven aspects liek you seem to want.

I won't give up other things I enjoy just because I really should be clicking nodes in the open world.

then maybe you shouldnt worry about beign a hardcore raider?
Ask many raiders. It isnt all sunshine and rainbows.

for most of the game you could raid successfully without professions,

yeah.....this is a lie :^D

the "raider mentality" of flask/pots started in what....end of Wrath? or mid Cata?

"most" of the gamesl ife has now been "pre pot/flask" centralized for many XPAC now.

You are an LFR hero who has no idea what it takes to raid in BFA. I raid 9 hours a week, and that is the bulk of my wow play time.

Becasue people can' have alt accounts, watch streams, etc in this day and age?

also 9hrs a week x 4 weeks = 36hrs a month....if you ONLY play 1 1/2 days a month...that is a waste of $14.99. (but do what you want with your money)

10/12/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Wrynli
1.5 million is more than we've ever spent on any tier prior, for a team of 20-25.

I'm farming almost as much as I'm playing the content I enjoy.

This is a problem.

and most X-pacs before this were tossing gold at players (so prices could remain low) BFA actually DOESNT hand youmuch gold.

also not a problem. Game is MEANT to be played. Not just what you WANT to do. Else everyone would be max lvl w/o leveling, have infinite gold, reps all maxed, etc at start.

the "problem" is the raiders mentality. Raiding ISNT the only part of this game.
Just like PVE and PvP.
the gam,e includes multiple stuff. you can enjoy one over the other, but doesnt mean you can skip what you dont like all the time.

10/12/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Wrynli
Yeah, so can I.

It takes roughly 7,000 - 8,000 herbs to feed my team prepots/flasks per raid night.

Let that sink in.

what about it?
if ONE PERSON is doing it..yes thats a pain, but a guild should SUPPLY their own.

lets take 8k herbs x 3 (assuming raid 3 days a week) = 24k herbs a week

24k divided by 20 (using smallest for the MAX per person value) is 1200 herbs.

much easier to do isnt it?

a person who wont TRY to gather their mats they know they will need cant QQ.

you can make a DH on your connected realm, quickly lvl them in islands (or quest like normal and make around 50k in process), and then have a gathering alt. few hours a week WILL cover YOUR needs and you sell what you dont want to use for profit.

10/12/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Sphinctus
this is between 200,000g and 400,000g A NIGHT. on potions.

so 20-40 stacks of ore in value. (based on my realms 10k for 200 ore)
or
666-1200~ anchor weed (again by my realms MIN price of 300ga pop)

EASILY obtainable in a week.
If your guild is having ONE person gather all the mats..thats not games fault. thats called bad teamwork.

1 person can EASILY gatehr the mats req for a weeks raiding with very little actual farming done when you learn your routes.

p.s. dear lrod this is long as Bwonsamdi's soul list..

p.s.s. not meaning to be a prick to any of you..but fact is it is easy to gatehr herbs for pots/flasks. Heck spending 1 or 2 days gatehring would net you mats for weeks of raiding. (and the herbs you dont need you can sell and make $ to buy other stuff you want)
You guys really want to kill the only two professions that are profitable these days by making them less profitable? Be careful what you wish for. If they become much less profitable, folks will stop crafting and selling the very things you need and are complaining are too expensive. Then you really will have to get out there and make your own. ;-)

Note: I don't raid and I use my crafting mats on my own characters. I like leveling crafting professions more than I like gold so using my mats is more important than selling them.
10/12/2018 08:49 PMPosted by Truthspeaker
If they become much less profitable, folks will stop crafting and selling the very things you need and are complaining are too expensive.

you mean like engineering.
if it wasnt for me wanting maxed profs i'd never lvl it this xpac as it has $#!^ use atm and is a money pit.
Pretty much, if you aren't playing the AH this expansion you are falling behind the curve.

People saying that it's not hard to farm for 2 -3 hours. Sure, it's not hard, but that's still time spent not having fun. This is the overwhelming problem with this game. It's just work. Some people here aren't kids, some of us already work 9 - 5 jobs, and we aren't interested in coming home to work some more. We'd rather just have fun.

If that offends you, kindly piss off.

Every raider I know is currenly alch or herb as one of their professions, but we raid 3 nights a week and when you have other hobbies and a life, its hard to find the time to log in to blindly farm gold just so you aren't the dirtbag in your raid group who doesn't want to pre-pot.

You are an LFR hero who has no idea what it takes to raid in BFA. I raid 9 hours a week, and that is the bulk of my wow play time. I won't give up other things I enjoy just because I really should be clicking nodes in the open world.

If clicking nodes was fun, I would do that instead of raiding, its not, and for most of the game you could raid successfully without professions, or when they had bonuses, you just took the 2 best bonuses for your spec, and maxxed the professions, and forgot about them.

Professions in wow are not fun, thats why I have never cared about them in my entire time of playing this game. If you are the type of player who just like going around in your sky golem clicking on nodes, thats great, but don't force the rest of us to play that very boring minigame.

You sir, don't know sh!t about raiding, then. If you <snort> actually think you're competitive, then you farm what you need to farm, buy what you can't/don't want to, and like it. And you don't whine on the forums about it. 9 whole hours a week raiding and that's the bulk of your play time? You sir, are just as much of a casual as we are.

I dont farm in the game because its more time efficient to convert money into gold, it still sucks to dump more cash into the game then I used to.

Also casual doesn't mean plays for less than 30 hours a week, my 9 hours raiding brings me more character progression than the majority of players, yourself included, people are hardcore because they are good at the game, not because they spend a huge amount of time playing the game, and if you do spent an innordinate amount of time on the game for that much progression your not being efficient with your time.

Someone who just farms old content for mogs for 40 hours isnt a hardcore player, just a casual player who plays too much.
Devs probably designed this as a gold sink. No doubt they have locked a lot of people out of raiding.
Whats with all these non raiders trying to tell raiders how to enjoy the game? I bet they would !@#$ a brick if they made the game raid or die again.
10/12/2018 09:14 PMPosted by Jelybeantoes
Devs probably designed this as a gold sink. No doubt they have locked a lot of people out of raiding.

A gold sink is money leaving the game to an NPC.

High AH prices just shifts money around to other players (and the negligible AH cut fee).
alchemy and herb have been this way for a while. its really the only viable professions that will last the life of an xpack.
This is a guild issue, not a game issue.

If the guild expects you to do this then they should fund some of it.