As predicted! Disc isn't OP as all thought.

Priest
It's the start of the expansion and every1 is whining about disc priest being too OP at everything. Little did they know that the information they were seeing was incorrect. With some number crunching towards higher item levels you can clearly see discs aren't as OP as everyone thought. Sure disc priest throw out some good healing numbers but that is because they are a reactive class meaning you have to plan ahead. So the only reason you see them beating out other healers is because well. they are planning ahead and basically healing the team asap which means less healing for the other healers.

Not only that but what people are being shown are basically top tiered players playing with other players that basically do not mess up mechanics 99% of the time. Go into a group with pugs that do not do mechanics as well as the top 1% and what you will see is other healers taking over because disc is sooo reliant on others not making any mistakes.

It's sad to see but U can always level a pally alt or go holy. Disc is getting pushed into the ground due to inaccurate information and impatience leading it's way to being one of the worst healing specs in the game until the full rotation of buffs and nerfs come around once again. Blizzard is unable to balance this game and that is a simple fact. The game was way more balanced back in the day with the rock paper scissors class theme in mind.
Example; vanilla wow warrior are underpowered until they get geared.
Except in this case it shows that discs were already underpowered as more ppl get geared.
10/17/2018 02:48 AMPosted by Michaelsog
It's the start of the expansion and every1 is whining about disc priest being too OP at everything. Little did they know that the information they were seeing was incorrect. With some number crunching towards higher item levels you can clearly see discs aren't as OP as everyone thought. Sure disc priest throw out some good healing numbers but that is because they are a reactive class meaning you have to plan ahead. So the only reason you see them beating out other healers is because well. they are planning ahead and basically healing the team asap which means less healing for the other healers.

Not only that but what people are being shown are basically top tiered players playing with other players that basically do not mess up mechanics 99% of the time. Go into a group with pugs that do not do mechanics as well as the top 1% and what you will see is other healers taking over because disc is sooo reliant on others not making any mistakes.

It's sad to see but U can always level a pally alt or go holy. Disc is getting pushed into the ground due to inaccurate information and impatience leading it's way to being one of the worst healing specs in the game until the full rotation of buffs and nerfs come around once again. Blizzard is unable to balance this game and that is a simple fact. The game was way more balanced back in the day with the rock paper scissors class theme in mind.

ANY healer that is capable of anticipating raid damage and preparing for it 10 seconds in advance is a better contributor to the raid team than uninformed panic healing. Disc is still top parse in mythic content.
ANY healer that is capable of anticipating raid damage and preparing for it 10 seconds in advance is a better contributor to the raid team than uninformed panic healing. Disc is still top parse in mythic content.[/quote]

Only difference is Disc priests rely on this in order to compete in the healing charts. Or else they are not gonna do well.
Would be great to see what OP is actually talking about - what are you referencing?

Current Mythic Stats show disc #1 by about 5% (except for holy), and about 13% over shaman. Which I would say would be "higher item lvl content"

In Heroic - Disc is still strong but sits under mistweaver - the main reason likely being the skill cap of disc vs mistweaver in the more general population AND raid scaling for > 20 players.

In Mythic + - disc still sits on top looking at "all" key levels - but @ key 10ish (general population) most healers are within 3-5% of each other. Going 15 and up - MW, Disc, Resto druid are all viable it seems, and we cant take the % because it becomes more about composition, utility and strategy than throughput.

So you are right, to a degree, that disc isnt the overall god of all content as some presume, but it was really only the troll GD kiddies who were spewing this, and most of us understand that "viable" is a horrible word and the situation is actually more complex and multifactorial than this.

Throughput is only part of the story re: upcoming nerfs. Disc will still be strong and viable in all content. We may have to cut back on spot healing and lean more into our role as raid healing with PW:S mana costs, but that is probably a good thing. No 2% damage loss wont affect our ability to prepare for large raid wide damage.

What I AM worried about is blizzard blindly changing things without clear direction - and without communicating this direction to the playerbase.

Rant over <3

Grumpsey
Yes and as time goes on (if they never included nerfs) you would continue to see that 2-5% gap in mythics get closer and closer until disc priests fall behind every other healer (which would have been around ilvl 413). With the incoming nerfs to disc you will see the class fall off really soon and every1 will be holy... or a pally.

Even in pvp they are not so great because ppl in ilvl 310-340 gear were versing disc priests when they were at their strongest... if they waited around 40 more ilvls there would have been 0 disc priests are OP threads. The only PvP disc priests are good in are Rated BGs. All the high rated 2v2/3v3 Disc priests you see are because they got there when the class was at its strongest (around ilvl 310-390).
both holy and disc are good for all levels of content. both are easy to play if you spend even a little bit of time with them.

the difference between them are marginal.

the problem is groups won't take holy over disc because of human biases. not because it actually matters.
People are bothered by the double standard where Blizzard has said that it is ok that Shamans and Palis have lower throughput because they bring such unique utility to raids and groups, but Disc throughput is not taxed for its damage/utility.

If the Meta is going to be "either you can pump HPS or you can help in other ways" ...right now Disc is doing both.
Sounds like someone's salty because they switched to Disc hearing how amazingly OP it was going to be and discovered it's not faceroll. All of us here thought it was HILARIOUS people thought Disc was going to be OP at everything.
The fact that you say this;

Go into a group with pugs that do not do mechanics as well as the top 1% and what you will see is other healers taking over because disc is sooo reliant on others not making any mistakes.

...just makes it clear that you really don't know what you're talking about, though. So. Mmhmm.

~Lil
10/17/2018 06:44 AMPosted by Lillin
The fact that you say this;

Go into a group with pugs that do not do mechanics as well as the top 1% and what you will see is other healers taking over because disc is sooo reliant on others not making any mistakes.

...just makes it clear that you really don't know what you're talking about, though. So. Mmhmm.

~Lil

Wrong. The fact that I say that shows I know exactly what I am talking about. Go ahead and try it out yourself and clear heroic uldir with pugs.

No1 here is salty... only pointing out facts. I already have every healer class to 120 so I can play the ATM fathom class on rotation because that's what blizzard does and has been doing since the last few expansion... Buffing and Nerfing classes until every class has had its moment to shine and then the Rotation starts over again but in a different order.
10/17/2018 07:31 AMPosted by Michaelsog
Wrong. The fact that I say that shows I know exactly what I am talking about. Go ahead and try it out yourself and clear heroic uldir with pugs.

So, think of it this way. Your primary job, as Disc, is to cover raid wide damage. The vast majority of said raidwide damage throughout Uldir that you will get most of your HPS from are mechanics that are going to happen whether your group is the best group in the world, or the least organised PuG of slobbering single cell organisms. Taloc doesn't stop casting Cudgel because he recognises the uber 1337ness of your top parsing Hall of Fame guild.

If your group is bad at mechanics, then yes, of course, your group is going to take more damage. But if you're playing Disc with a mindset that it is your job to spot heal said damage through a fight, you are wasting the strength of your spec. In a solid group, you want your Disc healer to focus on covering the predictable damage, which is your strength, and your other healers reactively healing up incidental damage, which is their strength.

Ergo, the ability of your group to get through a fight with excess, unplanned incidental damage from people standing in the bad really doesn't change your job as Disc, rather it puts more pressure on your other healers. So, when all is said and done, Disc is actually the healer least affected when it comes to 'bad' groups.

~Lil
Go read what I wrote over again and then read what you just posted. You proved my point.
10/17/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Michaelsog
Go read what I wrote over again and then read what you just posted. You proved my point.

Except the part I had issue with being you saying that Disc relies on others not making mistakes, and my point being excess damage resulting from said mistakes do not affect Discs' playstyle in raids due to them not really being responsible at all for healing said mistakes?

What?

~Lil
10/17/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Michaelsog

There is actually very little avoidable damage in uldir that will kill someone so fast off that you don’t have time to apply atonement to them and heal them reactively. Disc priest reactive healing is significantly better than people such as OP claim.

The HPS difference between disc in mythic and disc in heroic is mainly caused by the limitations of raidiance charges and atoning larger raid sizes vs the total scalability of other healers raid wide cooldowns.
I have to say It doesn't matter where you go on the forums the sky is falling. Shamans complaining that they can't get into PuGs because people think their trash. Paladins QQ'in that they aren't the best healers anymore and Disc priests scared of losing their top spot. Every time the patch notes get you down I have a little song for you, always makes me feel better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54PbMfCs48
The whole point is they didn't need to nerf priests bcuz around ilvl 413 they would have gone down in healing ranks ne ways. With the nerfs to disc and buffs to every1 else you will see the disc class drop off and be dead ne ways. They could have just buffed the other healers that needed buffs and left priest as is, it would have worked out just fine.

Oh and I didn't really like the song.
I think OP meant to say that Disc is proactive; It's probably the worst reactive healer. Disc shines when you know the fight and know when you absolutely need Atonement rolling on everybody, vs when only a couple or few people need it so you can focus instead on increasing your damage and throughput. In particular, Disc has to know when the burn phases of the fight are since that is when their healing is going to shoot up as well.
Yea yea, w/e the word is.
all those discs over 1800 in arena bro so op in world pvp