Shadow Priest Changes in 8.1

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prev 1 6 7 8 33 Next
Was really hoping to see our painfully long ramp up time shortened to help in M+ and solo content. (Would not miss void form)

Was also hoping to see fixes for our squishiness in solo content. The healing component on dispersion could help in some situations, but putting it on a talent that competes with Body and Soul probably means I won't get it--too situational and too CD dependent compared to always useful/frequent movement speed. The Focused Will passive might help some, will have to see. But I was really hoping to see a big buff to the healing from Vampiric Touch and/or PW: Shield.

I typically play healer in groups, but when I need to go do solo content, it's always frustrating that our one dps spec is so bad for it.

Also agree with other comments about SW:Death

Clearly haven't had a chance to try the changes yet, and while any buffs are always nice, they're not addressing the biggest frustrations I have with the spec.
10/22/2018 10:49 PMPosted by Waywithwords
Even so, the community has laid it all out for them in the most explicit possible way. It's an incredibly spot-on analysis. All the hard work was done for Blizzard by the community.
Oh, absolutely agree! There has been pages and pages of feedback given by normal players. The document is just much better articulated than I could ever bring forward.

All this solid information, and it's ignored...

@Seph: The communication is appreciated. And I really do not want to jump down your throat. Unfortunately, the state of Shadow needs to be looked into deeper.

The DR from Dispersion and Shadow Form is appreciated, as are the talent changes. But there is so much information that could improve on the spec.
  • Voidform's issues with non-raid content!
  • Mind/Void Blast sync with Void Bolt.
  • Shadow Word: Death as a talent.
  • 10/22/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Seph
    This had some positive impacts, which many of you are aware of – mainly this greatly reduced the harsh penalty for dropping out of Voidform early – a common occurrence in any content outside of raids, including dungeons or questing.
    You even said it yourself! Voidform is closer to baseline to avoid this very issue, yet you've made the changes!!!

Seriously, pages of feedback explaining how Voidform feels horrible in how it restricts an ability that feels amazing to press. Voidform that is punished from movement, and trash-pack to trash-pack ramp.

You desperately need to do better!!!
    10/22/2018 08:52 PMPosted by Apropos
    75% damage reduction, 50% movement speed increase AND 50% of your total health healed for the duration? 10% physical damage reduction to 15% ALL damage reduction?
    10/22/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Seph
    we think we went a little too far

I think you've gone a little bit further than that.

Yeah. Shadow definetelly is gonna be OP AF in the next pvp season if they don't see what is coming. Well, hard NOT to see when they are already being picked up in tournaments.
    Still would like to see DoTs last longer. With longer VF now, DoTs are going to be falling off, which will be very annoying gameplay.

Also, Vampiric Touch needs to have some upfront damage to make it worth casting. If a DoT has a cast time, it needs to be worth casting. As it is, I often ignore it totally in AoE.
    If they insist on keeping void form, losing mania is enough to piss me off already.

I don't know how anyone can like these changes. They do nothing to address the real problems and the increased damage in voidform is going to have to come from somewhere. So when and from what abilities are the nerfs coming? Weaker DoTs is my guess and DoTs are already far inferior than they should be. This whole void form experiment just needs to die so we can actually have our shadow priests back, void priests be damned.

Better yet give us another tree so we can have shadow, holy, disc and void priests. Then everyone can be happy I can be sane again.

Other talent adjustments worth mentioning:
    • Void Torrent generates 30 Insanity over its duration and deals 20% increased damage. Additionally, no longer requires Voidform to cast, so you can choose to use it on a priority damage target at any time.
    • Lingering Insanity fades every 3 sec instead of every 2 sec.
    • Surrender to Madness cooldown reduced by 33% and penalty duration reduced by 50%.
    Let's start with this:

Mindbender and Void Torrent are too similar. Both have a rather similar cooldown, both now generate insanity, both deal single-target damage. One is still a self root, and blocks all other actions.

Lingering Insanity still will be bad. Assuming the new Voidform is length will be 26 stacks, you're looking at a uptime that is roughly 100% - while still only averaging 6% haste. You still have an extremely weak talent, that is no longer buffable, and could essentially be simplified to "increases haste by x%"

These two changes change nothing.

Hallucinations (the PvP talent) is becoming a baseline passive,
    Shadowmend is not on it because...?

Further, remove Weakend Soul from Shadow's PW:S, it still has a cooldown. Aside of unsyncing Body and Soul with PW:S CD it does nothing.

Lastly, are we expected to cast PW:S for over a minute every fight so we start at 25 Insanity?
    Make Voidform Matter More
    This completely misses the mark:

- AoE during Voidform is pitiful. Reducing VER casts, while at the same time increasing VF uptime, makes our AoE worse.
    - VB and MB cooldown clashes will happen more often with a higher Voidform uptime.
    - Does nothing do how dull the gameplay is.
    Voidform increases spell damage by 20% (up from 10%)
    Why damage? It does absolutely nothing for gameplay.

Haste (either a x% baseline, or increased stacking haste bonus) at least would give some of the Legion speed back to the spec - that at least does something to the gameplay flow.
    Let me give you guys a suggestion.

Make Insanity drain stop entirely if you are not receiving and not doing any kind of damage at all at the same time, for a minute or two, even if out of combat. This way you can actually enjoy Voidform in short encounters too.

Make SWD baseline. The spec feels like missing its core without it.
    So just !@#$ pvp balance right? These changes can in no way be made with pvp in mind.
    Voidform is the worst thing to happen to this spec in the game's history.

I waited so long for this? This isn't the delayed expansion overhaul we were hoping for. It's bandaid fixes that could've been done by a junior designer in a hotfix.

Un-freaking-real.

And give us back SW:D baseline. It's blasphemous what you did to it.
    How do you manage to avoid addressing any of the issues with Shadow after all this time and feedback?
    Voidform is the root of all problems with Shadow right now.
    The solution is simple. Kill Voidform.

Issues with Voidform include:

* It adds an unfun ramp-up which we cannot control, we can't delay it like a burst cooldown, but it completely controls our gameplay, removing our agency

* It sucks up a colossal amount of our power budget without adding anything fun to gameplay

* It feels clunky to get into, we have to build up 100 Insanity, then cast a spell, we are a wet noodle without it

* It feels like no dev has ever entered Voidform, we are constantly waiting on Mind Blast and Void Bolt cooldowns which don't align and cannot be delayed, interrupting or not even bothering to cast Mind Flays inbetween these casts

There is nothing enjoyable, fun, or challenging about Voidform. The only redeeming quality is the better cast animations and appearance. The solution to that is simple, replace Shadowform with Voidform animations and levitation: a visually upgraded Shadowform that is persistent.

Let me make it simple:

1. Kill Voidform & Insanity

2. Make Shadow Word: Death baseline

3. You're already done! You had 2 jobs!
    Please make "Shadow Word: Death" a baseline spell again. Most players really want this iconic spell back. Having to waste a talent choice to use it is absolutely infuriating.

Tell us what the design goal is if Shadow Word: Death needs to be forced as a talent, as well.
    Dispersion
    Dispersion’s damage reduction has been increased to 75% (up from 60%). We agree that because it comes with the penalty of not being able to cast spells, it deserves to be stronger. Additionally, it now increases movement speed by 50%.
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but aspect of the turtle also comes with penalty of not being able to cast, do we get to get some boost as well??? it only comes with 30% damage reduction and only immunity on some spells. Dot that are already on us continues to tick. As for survival spec, all other melee class defensive allows them to continue to attack where survival can only stand there twiddle with their thumbs.
    10/22/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Kaesebrezen
    Voidform increases spell damage by 20% (up from 10%)
    Why damage? It does absolutely nothing for gameplay.

Haste (either a x% baseline, or increased stacking haste bonus) at least would give some of the Legion speed back to the spec - that at least does something to the gameplay flow.
    This needs to happen.
    Finally a sign of hope. Can't wait to test these changes on the PTR. Expecting some sort of nerf before live though, shadow is fairly strong atm played, stat'd and traited correctly. With these current proposed changes I can see shadow leading the pack in patchwerk style fights.
    Cool.
    10/23/2018 12:24 AMPosted by Excerion
    Dispersion
    Dispersion’s damage reduction has been increased to 75% (up from 60%). We agree that because it comes with the penalty of not being able to cast spells, it deserves to be stronger. Additionally, it now increases movement speed by 50%.
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but aspect of the turtle also comes with penalty of not being able to cast, do we get to get some boost as well??? it only comes with 30% damage reduction and only immunity on some spells. Dot that are already on us continues to tick. As for survival spec, all other melee class defensive allows them to continue to attack where survival can only stand there twiddle with their thumbs.

You have a 30% dmg reduction on all effects on you.
    You are totally immune to any incoming damage while active.
    You're still able to communicate with your pet.
    You can still use Traps to CC.
    You can't be CC'ed.
    YOu can heal yourself.

A Shadow can move and get's 60% less dmg.
    He still can't use fear.
    He still can be stunned, rooted, slowed...cc'ed in general
    There is no way to heal ourselfes due to beeing silencend

Pls don't beg for anything if you allrdy got such powerful tools to work with
    It took months for....this? Is this it? You. Are. Not. Listening.

You have pages and pages of feedback and yet you give the spec yet another intern-level rework. This is not enough. Does anyone at blizzard play a shadow priest? I'm glad I changed mains at the beginning of bfa. Shadow started as trash and apparently staying trash. Learn how to read, Devs.
    10/23/2018 12:34 AMPosted by Falloutvoid
    It took months for....this? Is this it? You. Are. Not. Listening.

You have pages and pages of feedback and yet you give the spec yet another intern-level rework. This is not enough. Does anyone at blizzard play a shadow priest? I'm glad I changed mains at the beginning of bfa. Shadow started as trash and apparently staying trash. Learn how to read, Devs.

I'd disagree. Much of the bandaid fixes are tailored to various complaints in the forum. I don't think they're enough though, and coupled with other aspects of BfA, it isn't enough for me to resub.

If anything it shows they're listening to an extent, but are more invested in what they already have.

Then again, you can look at the responses in this thread and cherry pick any kind of reaction you want: pleased, displeased, ambivalent, etc. No matter what they did, it wasn't going to please everybody. It just sucks to fall into the not pleased camp.
    Just lose voidform completely with this awful haste and dot refreshing mechanic and give us back the mana/health batteries we were in Wotlk/Cata. Voila, Done, Move on to fixing other things by lunch.
    BFA - Blizzard FAILED AGAIN.

There has been so much outcry as to Shadow Word Death becoming a talent when it should really be baseline.

The artifact ability also was amazing...

Yet again, here we are where Blizzard ignores the player base and feedback.