The "threat" of LFG addons

Classic Discussion
Considering Classic is being built on a Legion client base, we can assume there will be lots of new addon functionalities, right?

If that is the case, wouldn't the creation of LFG addons be inevitable? What do you think about that?

Maybe we should discuss what functionalities can be hurtful to the experience and then advocate for the addon that avoids implementing them. Or will they be OK without cross-realm technology?
LFG addons will be created and used by those who want them, tautologically.

Anything that resembles that damn dungeon queue will be used by people who want the dungeon queue back. Thus they will, using their addon, only group with other people who have the same addon and want to group that way. I'll go on forming groups the old-fashioned way, people who want to run ahead full-tilt and act like everyone else in the group is a bot having self-selected themselves out of my pool of people to go to dungeons with.

Everybody wins.

That's assuming that a "LFG addon" even can be made; I'm not at all sure how much information is available to the client. It might well be that if you're a level 30 warrior using an LFG addon and marked as a "tank," and one zone over a level 30 priest is using the same addon and marked as a "healer," neither of you will detect the other one's presence in the "queue" unless you happen to come within visual range of each other, meaning anything like the dungeon queue would be dead out of the gate.
10/28/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Canamansa
Considering Classic is being built on a Legion client base, we can assume there will be lots of new addon functionalities, right?

If that is the case, wouldn't the creation of LFG addons be inevitable? What do you think about that?

Maybe we should discuss what functionalities can be hurtful to the experience and then advocate for the addon that avoids implementing them. Or will they be OK without cross-realm technology?

People will still have to travel to the dungeons in the open world, getting a group faster with the addons will not be much of an advantage and may in fact put people in groups that are doomed to fail as good players, specifically healers and tanks will be getting group whispers from people they have run with in the past the second they log in.
10/28/2018 10:03 AMPosted by Executõr
People will still have to travel to the dungeons in the open world, getting a group faster with the addons will not be much of an advantage and may in fact put people in groups that are doomed to fail as good players, specifically healers and tanks will be getting group whispers from people they have run with in the past the second they log in.

Spot on.

Plus with our general community having a distaste for it already it would have a bad vibe-esque feel to it alone and won't be well populated.
I don't see a problem with a lfg system but a automated group addon wouldn't even be of much use with perhaps the exception of leveling. Even in scholo and strat you want some kind of handle on who you are inviting.
10/28/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Notprimal
I don't see a problem with a lfg system but a automated group addon wouldn't even be of much use with perhaps the exception of leveling. Even in scholo and strat you want some kind of handle on who you are inviting.

Even in Scarlet Monastery you want a Tank who knows what LOS pulling is, and a group that will let him do it. I have fond memories of my first run in there.

Old school dungeons were no joke.
A LFG addon would not add teleporting or cross-server grouping. It would be a glorified private chat channel.
The main problem I have with LFD is not so much that it helps you find a group, but that you are teleported inexplicably to the dungeon with random dudes from other servers you will never see again.

So if an LFD addon is made for Classic, all it can do is bring you together in a party. You still have to go to the dungeon and they won’t be random people from other servers you can’t be bothered talking to.
LFD=/=LFG
LFD is the queue system that teleports you to the dungeons, this wont be in vanilla because it is a change to the core systems. Also pretty sure you cant make an addon to do this anymore.

LFG is the pannel that lets you creat a custom group with a description of what that group is trying to do, it then lets everyone search through posted groups to see if there are any they want to apply to. Then the leader and the applicant can talk and an invite can be sent or not. When the group is full they still have to travel to the dungeon. It is essential just a better form of chat spamming with no new functionality. Addons can be made to do it and if blizz doesn't enable it, which they should since its in the game and changes very little, people will make addons to do it.

TLDR:
LFD is kinda a threat, wont be in the game as an addon since addons cant do automated group invites.

LFG is no threat at all and blizz should enable it since it does the same thing as chat spamming but better.
There's already an add-on called oQueue.
Bulletin board add-ons will definitely be a thing. And are not that big of a deal.
Vanilla API was way more wide open to issues. The modern API is much more restrictive.
10/28/2018 06:59 PMPosted by Coniferous
Bulletin board add-ons will definitely be a thing. And are not that big of a deal.

Do they resemble the current LFG feature, the one that lets leaders list their groups and other players can see and apply to them?

That kind of functionality would be fine with me.
Yes that's exactly what they are. Just a listing of people looking for players with some notes. Nothing beyond that.

There might not even be applying or inviting. You would still need to talk to people and get manual invites.
depending on how it's set up (one realm, multi-realms, bnet available, chat, etc)... oQueue did more for finding groups for ALL content then the existing GroupFinder.

https://solidice.com/oqueue

http://solidice.com/content/screenshots/oqueue_1407211054.jpg
These types of addons will not exist though. Blizz has made it clear that they will break any addons that go against the ideals for the Vanilla Experience. A group finder is instantly on radar.
Those add ons werent that effective
11/14/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Dibullba
These types of addons will not exist though. Blizz has made it clear that they will break any addons that go against the ideals for the Vanilla Experience. A group finder is instantly on radar.

Pretty much. Kinda why I'm betting there will be a discord for each server and maybe faction and people can just use it if they choose kinda the way people do the M+ discord now.
11/14/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Lolclassic
11/14/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Dibullba

Pretty much. Kinda why I'm betting there will be a discord for each server and maybe faction and people can just use it if they choose kinda the way people do the M+ discord now.
Yeah, kind of hard to avoid those though. Most likely scenario is the people who do use those discords will still be spamming trade for somebody to join. Discord just extends that outside of trade chat is all.
they said that they were going to disable some addons , im sure that these kind of addons will be looked at