385 crafted gear

Professions
While I do appreciate the "free" 385 item, I find it more than a bit annoying to grind 50 expolsum for every craft. 6-7 crafts on the gloves and I haven't seen mastery on one yet. Honestly, scrapping them should refund all the materials since it is a random stat roll.
Someone in another thread pointed out that refunding all of the materials would make it easier to level your profession. Just keep crafting and scrapping the same item over and over again.

I don't necessarily buy that, but it makes sense. I prefer to think of it like the old reroll items in WoD that allowed you to reroll the secondary stats on a piece of gear. So scrapping the item gets you back your hydrocore or sanguicell, with the expulsom cost being the price of the "reroll token".
10/30/2018 02:13 PMPosted by Haspian
Someone in another thread pointed out that refunding all of the materials would make it easier to level your profession. Just keep crafting and scrapping the same item over and over again.

That would be easier but also just plain ridiculous. Why collect any mats at all in that case? Just make one item and keep re-crafting it until it has the stats you want. Might as well sell just sell the mats at a vendor since you'll only buy a few.
I didn't both making any. I couldn't justify the waste in mats to make it. Trusting in keys and raiding to fill the slot
I think it's a bit ridiculous that anything with matts that intense would have random stats.

The could have just put out multiple patterns that offered options. That wouldn't have broken the game. But they wanted to make people grind and grind gambling for their crafted gear. Which kind of defeats the purpose of crafted gear imo. For the low level stuff (lvl 111 and 120 ilvl 300) it works because you're suppose to be churning those out for skill ups anyway. But the big epic BoP pieces that you are only making for personal use? It's just not a good system. You're better off selling the crafting materials and depending on rng that doesn't cost gold.
It should at least give you back 90% of the painful mats like expolsum. The return rate to obtain Expolsum is way to low. If you're scrapping an items the higher the item the more expulsum it should be automatically giving as part of the scrapping.

You could still have some randomness if they must say something like:
    Scrap 350 - 365 ilvl items you get 1 - 5 per scrapped item

Scrap 370 - 385 ilvl items you get 3 - 10 per scrapped item

Scrap 390+ items and you get 5 - 15 per scrapped item

Just one change like that would make it much better for all professions in general
Something does appear to be off in the relative difficulty of getting the three BoP soulbound crafting materials (seriously, why three different ones). I made the embroidered deep sea breeches for 40 expulsom and 15 hydrocore. I got an upgrade from them, so I scrapped them recovering the 15 hydrocore. I currently have 14 expulsom (expansion total at 54 expulsom), 38 hydrocore, and 55 sanguicell. Scrapping really ought to recover the expulsom rather than the hydrocore or sanguicell if it is supposed to be recovering the "hard" material. Both hydrocore and sanguicell are easier to acquire than the expulsom.

My gloves are 370 (I haven't crafted the 355 yet there - probably a lost cause of trying to craft 3 levels of gloves for an upgrade). My pants are 360 (so assuming that I could acquire the 36 expulsom, crafting them would be an upgrade - although my pants are mastery/haste... might not be an upgrade with really bad stats). Realistically, I'd just rather that they put insanely stupid cloth requirements for the tailoring recipes instead of expulsom. You scrap all of your trinkets (do world quests for crap trinkets to scrap), and you basically need a tank to mass farm cloth or leather to do any crafting.

The appeal of crafting gear is being able to 100% get an upgrade after gathering the materials. RNG stats and RNG expulsom needed to craft at all really doesn't fulfill the "this is my fall back plan".
11/10/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Nzete
Scrapping really ought to recover the expulsom rather than the hydrocore or sanguicell if it is supposed to be recovering the "hard" material. Both hydrocore and sanguicell are easier to acquire than the expulsom.

Farming 250 sanguicell to craft the 385 items is two and a half weeks of heroics. Expulsom just requires throwing gold at the AH and is fairly cheap for a tailor to make at this point in the expansion.
Yep, right now my crafters each have collected several dozen Expulsom, 0-2 Sanguicell and exactly zero Hydrocore. Different players have very different experiences of what is the "difficult" mat.