10.14.1 & Spaces & WoW

Mac Technical Support
I mentioned in pervious post how 10.14 had major issues with WoW when playing in Fullscreen (Windowed) mode with spaces where if you didnt fully go into a space you were swapping to and back to WoW the game would go into a forever suspended state (spinning beach ball). This could be "fixed" by going fully into the space you were swapping to and going back to WoW which would cause it to resume.

10.14.1 makes this completely worse. Now if you swap to a new space from WoW partially or completely the game will suspend and not come out of it.

Avoid this upgrade if you need to use spaces while playing WoW.

(again this happens in Fullscreen (Windowed Mode)....it is not occuring in window mode)

I dont know if this is a blizzard issue or apple issue but Ive mentioned this a few times now previously and lack of response here from blizzard seems to indicate they dont seem to see this as any of their concern so we are probably stuck with this for a long while.

EDIT - After some playing around Ive managed to narrow this issue even further. It seems related somehow to the method of swapping spaces. If I have enabled in my mouse preferences under "More Gestures" to "Swipe between full-screen apps - Swipe left or right with two fingers" and use that method to swap from WoW to new spaces I experience the hang ups. If I disable that and use only the option below that which says: "Mission Cotrol - Double tap with two fingers" to bring up spaces I am not getting the suspended WoW behavior as with the other.
I'm glad you posted this. I have experienced this exact same issue on the most recent version of Mojave, as well.

I'm also running WoW fullscreen windowed with Mission Control set-up as follows:

- CMD + Left/Right to switch desktops

- Hot corner in upper right such that if I move the mouse pointer to that corner, Mission Control pops-up

I don't experience the problem when I use the key left/right bindings, but if I use the mouse hot corner to bring-up the Mission Control overview, WoW will become unresponsive with the spinning wheel of death.
There have been a lot of changes in the 8.1 client (currently on PTR) to address issues with WoW and macOS 10.14. I think this specific issue is fixed in the current 8.1 client. If you have the time, disk space and data caps to check out the PTR, could you verify all the issues you're seeing with 10.14 are addressed on the PTR?
I'll check the PTR but it feels pretty crappy to have to go another month with these obvious and glaring issues.
It's actually a very easy issue to work around, so it's annoying but not game breaking

1. Use windowed mode instead of full screen
2. Disable spaces/multiple desktops (all testing showed every issue seems related to spaces/mission control. tabbing out, screen saver, sleep all don't cause issues if spaces aren't enabled
@Omegall--what about the insanely long loading screens, any workaround there or are we stuck waiting for 8.1 (assuming it gets fixed in that update)?

And thank you for the Spaces tip...had no idea that was the cause, just figured the freezing had to do with inactivity and the activation of screen saver.
long loading screens is not something that can really be fixed. defrag drive if it's not a solid state drive, or get a solid state drive, that's about it. Game just performs really poorly on a HDD do to both APFS and casc combining into such a really slow file access.

You can thank bermy for figuring out all issues went back to spaces. Blizzard had been trying to reproduce the issue and could not get hang to happen with screen savers or tabbing out or the usual, but their QA had spaces disabled which completely eliminated issue, thus no repro. This thread is what allowed blizzard to identify and reproduce and fix issue.
Can confirm. This happens only in windowed mode with the latest Mojave patch. Switching spaces to WoW in fullscreen mode will cause the spinning beachball. This affects graphics only. The game continues to progress, you can even move (my character drowned because he couldn't see where he was going), but the screen is frozen.
11/05/2018 04:51 PMPosted by Rommax
There have been a lot of changes in the 8.1 client (currently on PTR) to address issues with WoW and macOS 10.14. I think this specific issue is fixed in the current 8.1 client. If you have the time, disk space and data caps to check out the PTR, could you verify all the issues you're seeing with 10.14 are addressed on the PTR?

This is great news thank you!

I downloaded the PTR and am having an issue. Is it currently down perhaps? I click play and nothing happens. It appears the actual WoW Application itself is missing/not downloading to the PTR folder. Only the "World of Warcraft Launcher", a folder called _ptr_ , Launcher.db, and a data folder are in the "World of warcraft Public Test" folder. Ive done a scan and repair without any luck as well as deleting the entire PTR folder and installing again.
The current PTR build is broken on mac, terrible timing considering you were asked to try it, but it's beyond the mac teams fault for this one. Next ptr build will probably fix it
11/08/2018 10:46 AMPosted by Omegall
The current PTR build is broken on mac, terrible timing considering you were asked to try it, but it's beyond the mac teams fault for this one. Next ptr build will probably fix it

That explains it...thanks! I will keep an eye out for next build and check again.
*eats PTR build*

>:)
Nom nom nom PTR client deliciousness
Well, since I can't play it I might as well eat it :P
:<
11/05/2018 04:51 PMPosted by Rommax

I unfortunately also just updated and am having the same problems.

It would be very useful if things like this were mentioned on the the launcher. I would never have upgraded if I'd known. I started playing WoW because it was available on Mac and would be happy to continue playing indefinitely assuming it works on the computer that I own.

Having to wait until 8.1 for a fix is a bit extreme, and the fact that PTR (which I just tried to DL to test the fix) doesn't work right now discouraging.
As stated, it has an EASY work around. PTR not working is actually not a mac problem it's a deployment problem. In fact mac 8.1 is a heck of a lot more stable than windows right now. :D Metal smooth as butter and better performance than ever. Dx11 and 12 are both ultra unstable in ptr right now. :D
*eats PTR again*
It was very late when I posted originally and I was annoyed, so I complained more than usual haha.

Thank you to everyone for the work-arounds!
Today, I play WoW use mac in Fullscreen (Windowed) without an external monitor, I experienced this same issue.

But when I use an external monitor in Fullscreen (Windowed), this issue will disappear wherever the game window in.

I think maybe in macOS with two displays, a monitor with WoW Fullscreen (Windowed) will not be considered as a true Fullscreen, because there is another monitor used to display other things.

I buy Duet App just now and my iPad can be used as an external monitor, so I "fixed" this issue.

So, if someone knows how to fake a virtual monitor, this issue can be resolved freely.