I call BS on why you hate WoD

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
There was only one real patch in a two year expansion. That's just unacceptable. As many problems as BFA has, I really doubt 8.1 will be the last patch.
S E L F I E P A T C H
11/01/2018 08:26 PMPosted by Shado
I think it's one of those things that you had to experience while it was current content to understand why it's so hated.

I played it while it was current content. Have the title 'Of the Iron Vanguard' and everything.

11/01/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Sacarver
have you ever tried to farm rep in WOD?

I got Pathfinder before Legion... I think.
I've got the auctioneer bot on this character, hell yes I still have that garrison hearth on my bar. Fast load, short run to the trade post. Don't care what anyone else thinks.
11/01/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Sesshomaru
The music is amazing, the zones are beautiful, the addition of the new doodads was excellent, and the garrison was never as bad as people made it out to be.

Music, zones/landscapes, and doodads have near universal praise across the xpacs. Other than people who have no sense of direction or pathing memory, no one complains about these things, so I don't see how this is relevant.

Garrison was that bad. Hooray for automated gameplay, right? I actually did log well over 120 days /played at lvl 100, but that was due to the fact that most days, I just logged on, reset my table, and if I didn't immediately log out, I'd alt-tab and forget the game was running. If you weren't raiding, there was nothing to do once you were done leveling. The eventual addition of mythics was a good thing, but they were just heroics that took a few minutes longer. "Raid or die" was very much alive and a thing.
a game can be as pretty as it wants, but if there's no content it's a crap game.
11/01/2018 08:30 PMPosted by Sesshomaru
Is that basically right? What expansion fulfilled this desire to be able to have a reason to keep logging in to do stuff ASIDE from just raiding? Personally never met an expansion I don't get bored with eventually.

MoP did a great job of it for me just because thematically, I loved everything about it. Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle specifically were fantastic for leveling and catching up alts and were also loads of fun if you just wanted one main, too. PvP was fun because spells hadn't been pruned, and the raiding experience was top notch. Comparatively, WoD gave us Tanaan Jungle later down the line but there weren't any really...cool things about it I guess? It just felt like timeless isle 2.0 to me, but infinitely more aggravating due to the terrain being horrible.

Legion reduxed the entirety of outdoor content and gave us world quests, which essentially are just daily quests with a shiny new coat of paint, but the emissary rewards being very good for gear catchup and potential legendaries incentivized players to keep logging in to do them, at the very least. Class order hall campaign and things like that were also good, as they pulled all the good aspects of the Garrison and threw out all the bad.

BfA on the other hand tossed out all the good parts of the open world revamp that legion brought, and only kept the boring and repetitive aspects, essentially causing it to feel like a significantly downgraded version of Legion to me.
11/01/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Sesshomaru
got Pathfinder before Legion... I think.

thats only revered and you can get honored by quests however if you want exalted for mounts, OH BOY SPEND A LIFE TIME. and yes it was doable but that doesnt mean it was fun or worth it. Wod has some of the worst rep grinding ive ever seen
11/01/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Sacarver
have you ever tried to farm rep in WOD?

I farmed the reps as a human. Still godawful painful.
Alright, I think I'm getting a decent idea here.

WoD was really bad because it wasn't a expansion that could keep you subbed for the entire time? The content drought was bad enough to make you feel as if it was pointless to log in EXCEPT for raiding.

So the questing, leveling, and other such content that you get to experience right off the bat wasn't the main issue, it was the fact that you didn't always have a compelling reason to keep coming back.

Is that basically right? What expansion fulfilled this desire to be able to have a reason to keep logging in to do stuff ASIDE from just raiding? Personally never met an expansion I don't get bored with eventually.

TBC introduced the shattered sun rep at isle of quel thalas whichwas my first characters first exalted rep. Wrath had ToC dailies with mounts and stuff and introduced the lancing thing. I think i was spotty in cata cause i did the firelands stuff after during Mop i think. Then MoP had a crap ton of dailies, multiple world bosses, timeless isle was fun in a newish way, isle of thunder was fun although gated, and dinoland. Wod introduced the area quest which i think lead to legions world quest while still keeping in area quests.

Basically, world content people can play without raiding and pvping that is fun makes a lot of people happy especially if there are rewards out of it as well.
11/01/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Adeuce
I've got the auctioneer bot on this character, hell yes I still have that garrison hearth on my bar. Fast load, short run to the trade post. Don't care what anyone else thinks.

also, I definitely still use my garrison. I make goblin gliders and sell them and it's zero farming necessary. It's not a ton of cash flow but it's a consistent one. can make like 40 to 80 gliders a day depending on whether the trader has the materials for the low GR cost. Funny how its still incredibly useful and yet still so universally hated for how poorly it was implemented. I seriously think if they went for something similar again and took what they did right with Legion's class halls and implemented that, it would be pretty solid.
Wod did have pvp vendors.
It was decent, even though i hate time travel based stories, until we realized that they were adding almost nothing the entire 2 years.

The challenge modes and raids were fun at least. Really just needed another hub and another raid tier.
it was the fact that you didn't always have a compelling reason to keep coming back.

Is that basically right? What expansion fulfilled this desire to be able to have a reason to keep logging in to do stuff ASIDE from just raiding?

Exactly. And just speaking for myself as a non-raiding, non pvp-ing casual, Pandaria, Legion and now BfA all have all had plenty for me to do at max level.

I started playing in Cata and didn't get to max level until the end of that xpac so Pandaria is the first expansion I was able to play and experience in real time, so to speak. Haven't let my sub lapse ever so I've experienced each xpac since in real time as well. Max level WoD was pretty much logging in, doing missions, doing daily crafting cooldowns and waiting for pathfinder 2 to become available for flying.

Plus, the way garrisons made it possible for everyone to get every crafting mat with no effort and do every profession made professions pretty worthless as far as selling mats and crafted goods is concerned.
11/01/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Holyflower
The content was great. There wasn’t enough content, that was the problem. WOD was the definition of “content drought “

A 2 year content drought for sure. It only got slightly better in the latter half because Pathfinder.
WoD had neither traditional dailies nor world quests. That's why it sucked so hard.
Alright, I think I'm getting a decent idea here.

WoD was really bad because it wasn't a expansion that could keep you subbed for the entire time? The content drought was bad enough to make you feel as if it was pointless to log in EXCEPT for raiding.

So the questing, leveling, and other such content that you get to experience right off the bat wasn't the main issue, it was the fact that you didn't always have a compelling reason to keep coming back.

Garrison tables also over rewarded in many cases. You had stronger incentive to log in mission table and log out. After a while people just faded out.

Secondly I agree that WoD had some of the best questing and environment art they have ever done.
11/01/2018 08:39 PMPosted by Zoey
WoD had neither traditional dailies nor world quests. That's why it sucked so hard.

This speaks volumes.

Interesting.

Really great responses from alot of people. I think I have my answer. (haven't heard anyone say, "Class Design")
Garrisons....

Should have been account wide instead of character specific, or even been a guild type of thing where you shared a Garrison among your friends/guildies.

The implementation of the mission tables basically equating to a point and click yawn fest was awful.

Then they doubled down on the awful design by adding in the ship yard.... nothing more to say really.

Bad design is bad.
WoD was like two expansions, and everyone remembers the second one.

The tipping point was Garrosh's death. Before that, WoD was awesome. I loved it. After Garrosh's death, it was hodge podge and boring.