I call BS on why you hate WoD

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
It's been a while since I played WoD but from what I remember.

My typical day was: Log in do missions, gather mats in the garrison, log out, maybe log back in for more missions in 12 hours.

The only outdoor content was a daily that awarded apexis crystals for gear. It didn't reward much mind you and that apexis gear was very expensive. Like 1 piece every few months expensive.

Players did not like trashcan er ashran.

The cool looking mounts were added to the in-game cash shop. The remaining mounts were boring. I mean did I have to jump through hoops and farm garrison invasions for recolored wolves and boars?

Other than that there was raiding.

Then you had no more content until tanaan jungle came out.

There was no flight until blizzard was pretty much forced to put it back into the game. Though it was gated behind pathfinder which many players still resent including myself.

It was a good expansion for gold making though. I pumped out a ton of gold from those missions tables, bought some mounts and stuff, and bought lots of tokens off the ah so my sub was essentially free. Thanks to all the mission table gold blizzard had to bump up the gold cap due to excessive inflation.
11/01/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Sesshomaru
I'm trying very hard to figure out what was so bad about Warlords of Draenor.

The music is amazing, the zones are beautiful, the addition of the new doodads was excellent, and the garrison was never as bad as people made it out to be. You don't go to cities to interact with other people, you go there to use NPC services, questing hubs, and bank/AH. At least I do. How many of you ACTUALLY felt there wasn't enough 'player interaction' because of the garrisons? Really?

The only criticism that makes sense to me is the cut content, Pathfinder/no flying, and OMG SO MUCH CUT CONTENT. Are the people who hate it really that involved in the lore and quests? Do you really care that much about how many raid tiers there are? If so, then fine. If that's what makes or breaks an expansion for you, well...

Is that really enough to make SO MANY people say they feel it is the worst expansion to date? I don't think you guys give WoD enough credit, I DO think WoD haters are playing into the echo chamber issue too much. I mean, people are saying that BfA isn't as bad as WoD and I am distinctly not remembering WoD being that bad.

Feel free to point out how WoD was the worst expansion to date.

The questing and story after first zone was trash. The lies about flying was unacceptable. There was no content once you hit max level aside from raiding. It was the definition of "raid or die". The reputations were all grinding. Professions were botched. The Garrison wasn't a fully fleshed out system. The first patch was a selfie cam.

WoD was the worst expansion because it had no content. I don't care if you liked the music or enjoyed looking at pretty zones. There was nothing to do and then they cut content when there was already no content.
Sarrlock

Lets not ever forget Karabor and Bladespire.
11/01/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Hesselhoff
When most of the haters experienced it, it was all they had. It was constantly being promised new content and features only to have the entire dev team give up on it for an 18 month content drought.

You...you can breeze through BRF and HFC in your 120 gear, get to the end and think “So THATs what happened!”

This has been the reason why every "good" expansion was considered good, and every "bad" expansion was considered bad.

Realistically it wasn't the quality of the content. It was the fact that even when the quality of the content is good, nobody wants to play it for a year.

That's the biggest reason why Ulduar is considered one of the best raids. People just hadn't gotten sick of it before it was released.
You don't get it because you didn't have to experience it when it was current content. Now it's fine because it's just 10 levels that you can hang around in as long as you like. When it was current it was this drawn out drought of content that kept being cut, probably to work on Legion.

It only got 2 content patches and one of them was just like.. Wowtoken and the heirloom tab. 2 content patches over 2 years. 3 raids total, don't think we ever got new dungeons. Was just.. ugh.
Oh and the fun with heroics requiring you sit an exam to be allowed in...PG was an unannounced gate for the legendary as well.

I dont hate WOD...it was just a load of missed opportunities.
The music is amazing, the zones are beautiful

Both of these are subjective.

the garrison was never as bad as people made it out to be.

There is such thing as too much of a good thing. The garrisons were simply too convenient. If players aren't challenged to go out and actually get something, if there's not much risk or time investment involved, then it's not really a game, is it?

Is that really enough to make SO MANY people say they feel it is the worst expansion to date?

Because there simply wasn't much at all to do, nor worth doing at that. All you had were raids, and everything earned outside of raids was meaningless cosmetics. As I mentioned previously, aesthetics are subjective. I found all of WoD to be rather unpleasant to look at, with all its chunky orc/ogre "caveman" styles. Likewise, I never was a fan of draenei aesthetics; I just like the way the race itself looks.

It was the very definition of a "raid or die" expansion, because what else was there to do? Cosmetics don't progress a character, the world content, dungeons, and reputations were truly meaningless, professions were trivialized with the removal of the buffs they gave, and how easy it was to make things.

Speaking of the raids, they weren't very enjoyable, imo. Not only was there a lack of drive to do them via all of the gear being horrible to look at unless you got the mythic set, but they were just too long. Highmaul, in terms of length and difficulty, wasn't bad, but BRF is where I called it quits. With HFC being what it was, I was glad I did. It was just exhausting, but it was all there was worth doing if you wanted to progress your character.

But, none of that truly reaches the biggest issue: the great pruning. WoD's prune was the be all and end all of prunes, where all that classes had were their core rotations and nothing else.

BfA shares this problem, with so many specs feeling barren and lackluster with the loss of the artifacts their gameplay was shaped around. The Azerite system is a complete flop, and people are already getting tired of "borrowed power" mechanics. We're just gonna throw away the heart of azeroth at the start of the next expansion, so what's the point? That's where BfA and WoD differ in their flaws; BfA is capitalizing too much on this "esports/arcade/seasonal" style metagame via systems introduced in Legion. In Legion, there wasn't much regard to this in M+ or raids up until the latter half of the expansion, but people still held on because we all thought that our artifact actives and passives would be elegantly rolled into the spec's themselves...but oh were we wrong.

They were just ripped away, M+ was made no longer fun to do, raids are without purpose for half of WoW's population, the story has both Horde and Alliance disenchanted, tier sets are gone, and azerite is just shallow.
Huge content drought for world content, not many things to do once the raiding is over and everything is said and done, quests, raids, and dungeons. There isn't anything much to do for daily quests or reputation. If anything our followers have more fun than we did going to all sorts of places and doing all sorts of activities that they only get to see. The people tried hard to defend it by saying go do old stuff which is very pathetic.

There was also the Class ability pruning that made class identity broader but much less depth than it had before, and that continues today where we still keep seeing skills getting shuffled in and out instead of adding onto it. Other issues also included the complete destruction of professions being just there instead of providing any meaningful use outside of being a stepping stone one time use. At-least in Mist of Pandaria every single profession had more benefits outside of gathering or producing items. Blacksmithing for example allowed self enhancments with Socketing armor partss like gloves, mining gave a stamina buff, and skinning gave crit rating as a passive.
I'm trying very hard to figure out what was so bad about Warlords of Draenor.

The music is amazing, the zones are beautiful, the addition of the new doodads was excellent, and the garrison was never as bad as people made it out to be. You don't go to cities to interact with other people, you go there to use NPC services, questing hubs, and bank/AH. At least I do. How many of you ACTUALLY felt there wasn't enough 'player interaction' because of the garrisons? Really?

The only criticism that makes sense to me is the cut content, Pathfinder/no flying, and OMG SO MUCH CUT CONTENT. Are the people who hate it really that involved in the lore and quests? Do you really care that much about how many raid tiers there are? If so, then fine. If that's what makes or breaks an expansion for you, well...

Is that really enough to make SO MANY people say they feel it is the worst expansion to date? I don't think you guys give WoD enough credit, I DO think WoD haters are playing into the echo chamber issue too much. I mean, people are saying that BfA isn't as bad as WoD and I am distinctly not remembering WoD being that bad.

Feel free to point out how WoD was the worst expansion to date.

Because not doing anything for over a year sucked.
Eh to me, WoD, Legion and now BFA are all new WoW. They feel more like each other than they do any other expansion where as Vanallia-MoP all feel more like each other than those three.

WoD, Legion and BFA are near the bottom of my list of expansions, almost completely tied on how bad they are too me. I don't like the direction WoD took WoW and Legion/BFA are just building on that same sort of idea. I play still because some friends come back but we stay for shorter amounts of time with each expansion.

I'm sure this is mostly due to my and my personal feelings towards MMORPGS and what I like/dislike about video games and I'd wager I'm in a minority when it comes to such thoughts about WoW now.

So I'll play as long as I find some things interesting but once that fades I'll move on. No need to get upset or flame at people or not like others for liking how WoW is going but Ima do what people should do when you don't like a product. Stop buying it.
I had a lot of fun in WoD and remember it fondly, for the most part. I recall doing a lot of repeatable stuff many, many times and for whatever reason I was more tolerant of it then than I am now. I dont really know why.
11/01/2018 08:22 PMPosted by Krider
Try managing garrisons for 7 alts with different professions and you'll start to understand.

But you made a huge gob of gold, didn't you? That's why you had all those alts in there...plus more on the other side.

Warlords had its busywork and it was fine for altoholics. I didn't mind that xpac either. BfA is full of things to do and more stuff will be patched in eventually...just like all other xpacs.
You leveled a toon in an evening and then......garrisons, the gold fountain. As a non raider end game is exploration for me combined with profession farming and PVP. WOD destroyed both of those.

You see WOW started down the path of gimmicks during wrtaith and continued on through to BFA. Pet battles, garrisons, mission tables, expeditions, m+....these things are not MMORPG material at all. That is a problem. That is THE problem with WoW which should now be called Quecraft because that is what it is. The world, which should be the main focus of the game is merely a very large lobby so you can run a mock until you pop into an instance.

In WOD the garrisons turned into a gold dropping lobby....might as well been filled with slot machines and such. Blizz scratches their heads on why they cannot hold subs and the reason is simple...the devs do not play the game like we do....they hop in and raid. Disconnected with the player base totally.
it only had 3 Raid's and not much to do after that beside to sit in the Garrison to look at trade chat are play the AH if you had it.
11/01/2018 08:30 PMPosted by Sesshomaru
Is that basically right? What expansion fulfilled this desire to be able to have a reason to keep logging in to do stuff ASIDE from just raiding? Personally never met an expansion I don't get bored with eventually.

In Battle for Azeroth, I keep logging on for battlegrounds and Conquest progression. I don't have to do raiding. That's a big improvement over previous expansions, where you either capped out rapidly in PVP, or were forced into rated stuff that most people hated even when they did it.

Edit: Oh, and to do Call to Arms and kill Horde in the world. How could I forget that? Also to kill Horde at world quests. Unfortunately, this benefit isn't normally available to people who aren't on RP servers.
Only time in WOW I actually quit for several months.

It was that bad during HFC.
The content WoD gave was great the problem is there was not enough of it.

BFA has lots of content but it's way below standard.
The story.
I liked WoD more then Legion and BFA. It was the last expansion that was fun
Imagen 18 months of having nothing to do but fill up a bar and kill rares.