I played classic. I don't miss it.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
11/02/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Nalal
11/02/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Sydori
...Because private classic servers are free, that's why. It's easy to pad numbers when something is free.

If that were the case, 8.x private servers would be just as popular yet there's next to none.

Good luck finding one right after release that actually works properly (Hint: You won't) and won't randomly shut down at the drop of a hat once the legal team gets wind of it.

Don't forget that even vanilla servers took a long time to be perfected. It was a very subpar experience prior, with all the mobs just standing still without scripts like literal loot pinatas.

These days they're finally managing to do so well because they spent a lot of time recreating it properly and are free.

Still, you are likely to see a drop off in interest for Cata and after
No one having ever played classic would with it on another man. The game is deeply flawed and design and system decisions were made poorly. Firestones increase warlock melee damage at a larger rate than that of fire damage? Disc has a spell to increase their physical damage? Hunters need mana? One potential hunter pet has the ability to "walk slower than normal walk speed".

Classic was fun for the time because there was nothing better then. Now there is, it's called World of Warcraft - Battle for Azeroth. As deeply flawed as BFA is, it'll never be THAT flawed.
11/02/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Sarcasmic
Classic was fun for the time because there was nothing better then. Now there is, it's called World of Warcraft - Battle for Azeroth. As deeply flawed as BFA is, it'll never be THAT flawed.

This bait will garner hundreds of replies, calling it now.
11/02/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Sydori
...Because private classic servers are free, that's why. It's easy to pad numbers when something is free.

If that were the case, 8.x private servers would be just as popular yet there's next to none.
How is that relevant in any way? That doesn't change private servers being free and classic from blizzard costing money.
11/02/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Altargirl
As with so much nostalgia of "the good ol' days" many people are looking at classic through rose coloured glasses.
Uh not really, private servers have been out for ages and if you wanted to try out vanilla you can. People know whats coming.
People have this romanticized notion that Vanilla WoW was the best. Yet I see post after post after post by these same people railing about things in WoW now that were the same, if not worse, back in Vanilla.

And the thing is these people also come up with a laundry list of foolish conspiracy theories as to why... when the answer is simple... the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Every so often the Library of Congress is required to take proposals for things that should receive exemptions from DMCA protections. One of those things this time around was online games that have shut down. Things like Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa, Star Wars Galaxies, etc. all certainly fit this bill, but the argument was also made by some analysts that Vanilla WoW could fall under such an exemption too. Blizzard having Classic servers removes that threat because they now have an active product.
11/02/2018 08:11 AMPosted by Sydori
How is that relevant in any way? That doesn't change private servers being free and classic from blizzard costing money.

If the only defining factor of private servers being popular was that they were free then we would see no population bias to one patch over another and servers would mostly strive to emulate the latest version as stably as they can. That doesn't happen however and the further from vanilla you get, the less popular things become, most evident when moving from wrath to cata.
11/02/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Leafmealone
11/02/2018 07:53 AMPosted by Talvish
When that one Blizzard dude said a few years ago "You think you want Vanilla, but you really dont." Everyone went nuts and threw a fit and got so angry...I was sitting there like "Yep, he is right."
J Allen Brack the new and upcoming president said those words and yes I'll agree, I came to wow right around TBC at the launch in which I've not played vanilla, Now I will give it a shot but some of those hot dang this is cool nostalgic moments won't be the same now as they were back then. In terms of classic length I believe it will go for a long ride but retail will always be here for when folks are bored of classic. What I find funny is how some folks argue that leveling is slow boy if only they new what leveling was like back then. I remember first time I left stormwind gates and got rekt by a webwood spider only to run to my corpse retrieve it and evade the spider laughing just to get ganked by a cut purse telling me to hand her my gold. I also at the time did not know warlocks had to fight their pets to earn them, my friend would tell me hey I need help fighting my voidwalker to earn him, I was like dude what did you do to piss it off did you not feed it thinking lock pets were like hunters, so we head down to the bottom of the inn basement with the purple mark on the floor and when he summoned it man I thought that was so awesome I'll never forget it.

I might try it if it is free or very cheap, which it won't be. I guess if I literally believed this 15 year old game was "better" than what I have now, like a lot of people do...but I don't.

I been there, done that, got the t-shirt and don't miss it.
11/02/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Talvish
11/02/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Leafmealone
... J Allen Brack the new and upcoming president said those words and yes I'll agree, I came to wow right around TBC at the launch in which I've not played vanilla, Now I will give it a shot but some of those hot dang this is cool nostalgic moments won't be the same now as they were back then. In terms of classic length I believe it will go for a long ride but retail will always be here for when folks are bored of classic. What I find funny is how some folks argue that leveling is slow boy if only they new what leveling was like back then. I remember first time I left stormwind gates and got rekt by a webwood spider only to run to my corpse retrieve it and evade the spider laughing just to get ganked by a cut purse telling me to hand her my gold. I also at the time did not know warlocks had to fight their pets to earn them, my friend would tell me hey I need help fighting my voidwalker to earn him, I was like dude what did you do to piss it off did you not feed it thinking lock pets were like hunters, so we head down to the bottom of the inn basement with the purple mark on the floor and when he summoned it man I thought that was so awesome I'll never forget it.

I might try it if it is free or very cheap, which it won't be. I guess if I literally believed this 15 year old game was "better" than what I have now, like a lot of people do...but I don't.

I been there, done that, got the t-shirt and don't miss it.

Newer does not inherently mean better.
I'd rather have a WotLK server tbh, not really interested in classic.
Classic doesn't have transmog. It's a 'No' from me.
11/02/2018 07:42 AMPosted by Talvish
Am I alone here? I remember Everquest 2 launched, I bought it, and was disapointed. One week later, vanilla WoW launched. I bought it, loved it (at the time) and have never looked back, only quitting here and there taking breaks.

My first character was a human warlock. I remember being thrilled doing the level 40 mount quest, which finished in the barrens, for a human! I rode my 60% speed mount up and down the coast of the barrens for like an hour.

I remember surgers being pulled with core hounds, not being able to log in to the gates of AQ opening, how excited I was with getting staff of shadowflame from Nefarian and grinding argent dawn rep to get into naxx 40 cheaper.

I loved vanilla, I really did. 12+ years ago.

But I have NO desire to go back. Those of you that do, Im sure you all have moments that you remember fondly, the same as me. But do you really think you are going to have your "riding through the barrens on a level 40 mount" moment again? Is it really going to be exciting walking through Stormwind turning in your onyxia attunement the same as it was years ago?

Maybe it will be for you. Maybe you really can go home twice. I cannot. I will admit, I am spoiled by modern WoW and have no desire to go back to all the inconvienences. I am actually worried/frustrated that resources given to make modern WoW better might be redirected to a 15 year old game. I hope I am wrong. Sorry, just venting.

Thank you!!!
I played Everquest and then moved on to Everquest 2. After beating the endgame in EQ2 fairly quickly I moved on to WoW. I think people are nostalgic for vanilla but I honestly do not miss the grinding. People complain about the grinding now? It’s nothing compared to the grinds back in the day. Either remembering wrong or just nostalgic. I much prefer the current state of the game. It’s more entertaining and less time consuming.
Been there; done that; have the tee shirt.

don't feel the need to do it twice.
It's like classic servers havent been thriving with people and about how fun it is.

I guess that's just nostalgia and rose tinted glasses.

/s
11/02/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Nalal
Newer does not inherently mean better.

No.

But "older and nostalgic" also don't inherently mean 'better.'

The game is better or worse depending on who you are. Everyone has opinions. To this day, I've had close friends tell me about how much they liked WoD and MoP and Cata. I even have a friend who says Legion was one of the WORST expansions in WoW history, despite it being extremely popular throughout. Newer doesn't have to mean better.

But newer does mean more polished, recognized, and understood. Blizzard had a quality formula with Legion because, to be quite honest, it felt like they were reimagining WoW again while still taking information from the past to create a better expansion than WoD. As we all know, it's because of WoD that Legion spiced up everyone's experience.

We went from no content to TONS of content, and so much content that people felt BfA was rushed in the sense that they didn't finish everything in Legion. I know I missed out on some time with the Mage Tower, but oh well!

WoW is not inherently bad right now because it isn't Classic. Plus, similar to WoD, people always scream and shout about how great Classic was when the vocal group of players discuss what they dislike about WoW. BfA feels good to me, but it doesn't feel good to an obvious amount of players. Of course I have my dislikes, but I've also taken a good enough of a break now that I can get back into it with the hype of Blizzcon and future patches. This expansion JUST started and it feels better than WoD and feels like a Legion 2.0 as far as content and such goes.

What does that mean, in my honest opinion?

It means that people, in my honest opinion, are relatively focused on single but major points to be made about BfA. Like Azerite gear or "muh allied race rep" and such. People are LAZY. People are LOSERS. And the reason why is because everyone has their feelings and emotions and treat WoW like it's the lockbox to the friggin' apocolypse. Everyone wants to defend it so the world doesn't end, but people also want to see the world burn and they want someone to blame. Blame Blizzard!

No, seriously. Blame Blizzard. If they're making mistakes, people will make the blame. And that makes sense.

But is BfA really that bad? I mean, it's just like Legion but with a new mask. Sure, that can be a bad thing. But it can also be changed and adjusted.

Nah, nah, nah. In some people's minds, Classic is the answer.

What?

Classic may be overtly popular but it will NOT last. It is completely foolish to imagine that Classic WoW will keep anyone except for the hardcore veterans who have nothing better to do.

(I mean, seriously, don't people have jobs and 'ish now? Classic WoW will not allow full time employees and married couples with children to dedicate the same time to the game as they may have way back when. I started in Wrath when I was a wee child. I barely knew how to progress in the game back then, and I have no idea how it would look if I was as busy as I am nowadays but back then. WoW? Forget it. I have a job and college and have little to no time to dedicate to something as long, boring, and stupid as 'Classic' WoW.)

All this being said, I will admit that it is a popular request. People want Classic. Admittedly, it may even surprise me in terms of fun or popularity. But no, it will not last.

The only people who will keep Classic alive will be the veterans who manage to still play old Nintendo games on a daily basis without shooting themselves in the foot.
I am excited for Classic. I know its not just nostalgia. Like others said, its a different game. I will compare what I believe the Classic exp will be like based on my experience with EQ (and their Classic TLP servers).

I tried the EQ FTP servers with all the advances and updates. Mounts, mercenaries and such. Armor that actually has stat bonuses on it. Class improvements. I really was only OK with the game. I paid to and try their Time Locked Progression Servers (Classic). Some things were harder. Leveling was a lot slower. Gear was worse. But it reminded me why I came to play MMORPGs. I used to play D&D with friends in the 80s. EQ was an online version of D&D that I didnt have to sit in the room with similar players. I could solo (very little) but I could join a PUG at any of the camped spots. The classes still felt right. The races did as well. It felt like home - not just something that looked the same but really was different.

In Classic, I expect the Horde to be the Horde. I will be a fan of Thrall again. Elves will be Alliance only. The cringy emo Horde that exists today will be gone and its leader will be a bit player again. As far as gameplay goes, while its slower to level, I will see that I am improving every level (and in between with simple things like improving weapon skills). Being an RPG it will be about building a character, gear, professions, and such. The MMO part of being about twitch mechanics will be gone (as an MMORPG should be IMHO)

I dont miss the community, by the time WoW came out, MMORPG communities had already de-volved IMHO. Barrens chat? They were no longer like in EQ where people sat around chatting waiting for spawns to kill - where you got to know people just by playing the game and everyone was welcoming because people needed bodies to progress.

I ll end my ramlings here...
11/02/2018 08:02 AMPosted by Talvish
I don't want to come off as a bitter. If people enjoy classic then more power to them.

My concern is that live will continue to spiral downward, with more and more problems, and if Blizzard feels like they can make their money from classic, they wont continue to put effort into fixing live, and live will suffer at the success of classic.

I hear ya OP. But, then again, maybe a re-boot is what WoW needs. Start with Classic, then release the expansions, but this time around leave out the changes that seem to have been received negatively and try it differently this time around.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing LFR/LFD gone (even though I use them frequently). Keep the Group finder tool, but only for your Realm. This, I feel, would get rid of a lot of the toxicity that we have nowadays. I remember back when I first played and you spent the time forming a group for a dungeon run, people were polite and patient because they didn't want to be ostracized from future groups. The server community as a whole was much more polite back them in my experience.

Also, the time gating of pathfinder, RNG and a few other things can take a flying leap as well, imo.
11/02/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Rip
It's like classic servers havent been thriving with people and about how fun it is.

I guess that's just nostalgia and rose tinted glasses.

/s

Has nothing to do with the fact that they're free.

Nope, not at all...
I miss Classic only in that the development of the game for me at that time was better. I liked the talent every level and having to skill up my weapons. Having to be carful around every corner knowing that anything more then two mobs would crush me.

Just think the game was more fulfilling. You felt rewarded for time put in. Nothing like today when you simply get participation reward that devalue the entire reward process making them feel unrewarding. Lets not get into TF/WF and how not getting those proc's actually feels bad. Especially when you have almost everything of heroic quality or better.

Classic is for some. Just going to be a nice alternative to what we have now that many including myself just don't care much for. I won't need the slot machine cater to everyone version of the game and that feels pretty damn good.