[Feedback] Destruction Warlock PvP.

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Hey guys. Let me introduce myself: I'm R1 EU player on Destruction Warlock with 3k current rating. Here I want to post why Destru is weak and not fun to play on arena.
1. Bad defensives design.
  • Our main defensive ability (Unending Resolve) is offensive one at the same time. That's why it has 3min cd. But it gives us only 40% damage reduction, which is weak with this cd. The way it can be fixed is to separate damage taken reduction and interrupt immunity on 2 different abilities. For example, 1.5min cd on damage reduction and 2min on interrupt immunity.
  • Gates using cd is too long. We have only one baseline ability for a quick change of position and it has 2min cd. As well as it gives you +40yard range from target, every class can close this distance with their mobility abilities, which have shorter cd time. Ways it can be fixed (only one to fix): 1)Reduce cd on using gates. 2) Make affliction PvP talent "Gateway Mastery" baseline in PvP for ALL Warlock specs.
  • Nether Ward has too long cd. It has the same duration as Warrior's Spell Reflect and Shaman's Grounding totem, but has much more cd time and can be Removed with Magic dispell. Ways it can be fixed(only one for fix): 1) Increase duration back to 5sec and make it Undispellable. 2)Reduce cd to 25sec.
  • New Talent Demon Armor is bad. There only some melee specs in the game, the damage of which can be reduced by armor. This talent won't change anything, because all melees have abilities to ignore armor stat. The way this talent can be fixed is: change armor stat bonus to passive physical damage taken reduction.
  • Destruction Warlock mastery damage reduction can be reduced by Mortal strike effects. Idk is it bug or no, but our mastery stat rank as healing. They way it can be fixed: make it work like versatility stat.
  • 2. Lack of choise in talent tree.
  • Soul Fire isn't worth to use it. There is no situation where you can use this talent because: 1)It does little damage. 2)It has long cd. 3) Other talents are more fun to play. Ways to fix it: 1)Increase damage it does. 2)Increase Soul Fragment generation by this talent.
  • Burning Rush isn't fun to play. The design of this talent is pretty interesting, but the way it works isn't good enough. It gives you only 50% moving speed increase without freedom effect. But since we're not so tanky atm, you lose so much hp while using it. The way it can be fixed for making it viable in PvP: increase movespeed to 75%-100% with freedom effect (immuned to snares, so you will always move with speed increase effect).
  • Damage outside Grimoire of Supremacy is low. Destruction is playable on arena only because of this talent, because your burst is focused on using it. It's not fun when your burst Chaos Bolt does 60k+ damage, but outside of Infernal it does 24k-30k. The way it can be fixed: Increase baseline Chaos Bolt damage in PvP and reduce bonus damage from this talent.
  • Let's have a look on PvP talents.
  • Cremation. It was good in Legion, but now 3% pure HP damage can't have place in our talents tree. This talent should be reworked, may be it would be good as early Legion version( does 10% target's hp damage, but removes Immolate).
  • Essense Drain. Destruction Warlocks don't use Drain Life in their rotation, so this talent can't be used. It can be removed and replaced by new talents.
  • General issues.
  • Immobility and lack of snares. You've added snare to Succubus, and it's really good, but i can't use it vs every comp, because I need Spell lock ability from my Fel Hunter more often. Destruction is a burst based spec. And it's not fun when you use your Burst and everyone is running away, while you're snared, rooted etc. It would be nice to have slow from Conflagrate back.
  • Only one Azerite trait to use. Destruction warlock is playable on arena only because of one trait called "Flashpoint". Other traits are not that good and don't affect your gameplay.
  • Thank you guys for reading, hopefully developers will notice this topic.
    P.S: Sorry for bad English, this isn't my native language :)
    I can tell you for a fact the reason I stopped playing destro is because they took away the chaosbolt damage. MoP had destro exactly where it needed to be in every way. I don't understand the fix it even though its not broken mentality. I can't even log on my lock longer than a few seconds now days just thinking about it. Even with crashing chaos it just feels like garbage outside of that burst window. They even nerfed havoc, don't worry though we got every melee spec gas pedaling up the ratings because of the arguably weak casters. Something needs to change regardless.

Gratz on rank 1 can't imagine suffering through that grind on something as immobile and squishy.
    ^Moreso the worst is that our filler, non- CB spells do little to NO damage at all.

Destru always was great when EVERY hardcast was dangerous enough so that you didn't rely on one single dumb ability.

Also OP forgot to mention that the way they changed Shadowfury over time for the worse only due to M+ AoE Stun balancing, is also a huge factor in why it feels so bad. Shadowfury was THE iconic instant AoE "everyone shut up for 4sec" button that gave us air to breathe.... now it's a garbage 3s dispellable and avoidable stun on a WAY too large cooldown WITH A !@#$ING CAST TIME OF 1.5s, at least they could've reverted to the 0.5s it originally had in BC....

Circle teleport baseline should be a thing aswell, plus Shadowflame as a 70% snare that consumes Immolate or sth, finally I'd really wish they gave us back Backlash... but oh well.

Just ONE of these things would already improve A LOT. They stripped so much of our toolkit over the last 3 expansions without EVER gaving us ANYTHING in return, it's ridiculous.
    Warlocks need all their abilities back as base line. MOP talents reintroduced with mop abilities. That's a start. I miss so much of it.

This is why I won't regret dropping retail for classic. The game just has no way to demonstrate skill anymore, and we're all cookie cutter in the extreme. I miss the variance in talent choices in MOP, and before.

I wish Blizzard would realize that we want to be a "Class" again, and not be just a spec. That is what made Vanilla more enjoyable. But who am I?

I only played a lock for 11 years.
    11/10/2018 07:38 AMPosted by Cretus
    This is why I won't regret dropping retail for classic.

I was quite sad when I saw that I had to bind more buttons for my lvl 15 classic warlock than I have in use on my live main.

Not shocked or surprised, just really really sad, deep down. Not angry because all the anger tends to die down if you're able to keep it up for a long time, you grow tired after a few years. Only sadness and depression remains.
    11/10/2018 07:29 AMPosted by Archigadh
    ^Moreso the worst is that our filler, non- CB spells do little to NO damage at all.

Destru always was great when EVERY hardcast was dangerous enough so that you didn't rely on one single dumb ability.

Also OP forgot to mention that the way they changed Shadowfury over time for the worse only due to M+ AoE Stun balancing, is also a huge factor in why it feels so bad. Shadowfury was THE iconic instant AoE "everyone shut up for 4sec" button that gave us air to breathe.... now it's a garbage 3s dispellable and avoidable stun on a WAY too large cooldown WITH A !@#$ING CAST TIME OF 1.5s, at least they could've reverted to the 0.5s it originally had in BC....

Circle teleport baseline should be a thing aswell, plus Shadowflame as a 70% snare that consumes Immolate or sth, finally I'd really wish they gave us back Backlash... but oh well.

Just ONE of these things would already improve A LOT. They stripped so much of our toolkit over the last 3 expansions without EVER gaving us ANYTHING in return, it's ridiculous.

Shadow Fury shouldn't be instant, it can have 0.5sec cast and it will be balanced.
    And about demonic circle: Devs don't want us to have mobility, they want warlocks to be tanky casters on arena. But after replacing templates our tankiness has Completely disappeared.
    11/11/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Dreamnyasha
    Shadow Fury shouldn't be instant, it can have 0.5sec cast and it will be balanced.
    And about demonic circle: Devs don't want us to have mobility, they want warlocks to be tanky casters on arena. But after replacing templates our tankiness has Completely disappeared.

We're immobile casters. Survivability and control should be our strong points. Instant Shadowfury wouldn't cause us balance issues, it would help fix them. We need adequate, sensible control options to setup counterattack openings for a chance to actually kill what's attempting to kill us.