Starfall not worth it on 3 targets

Druid
I've been testing it and it looks like SF is so pathetic SS still beats it on 3 target fights. This is with or without SOTF. I really don't think this should be the case.

Edit: and without stellar drift
Star fall was so much the go to last expansion that blizzard felt like they needed to totally gut it. With such a large radius and allowing us to cast on the moving inside boomie became THE aoe and THE mobile caster dps. People would use it not even to hit their target but simply to be able to run in circles casting.

In proper blizzard fashion when something is not to their liking they decide to nerf every aspect of the ability and make it totally useless. They are incapable of saying part x of skill y is broken let's nerf part x. Instead it is skill y is broken so let's nerf it to the ground.

I am sure the spell would not be as busted with a lower radius or simply without the ability to cast on the move (because again this was such a big deal on some fights boomies would cast it without hitting anything and the cast would still be worth). But instead of just lowering area and ability to cast on the move they decided to make its damage absolutely pitiful and take all utility away from the spell as well.

In starfalls defense. When you 3 stack the lunar shrapnel trait it is actually still fun as hell to use. But it's still useless even on large packs because everyone else passively cleaves for more than your 50 astral power spell does over its whole duration.
11/13/2018 12:13 AMPosted by Flamaßlanca
In proper blizzard fashion when something is not to their liking they decide to nerf every aspect of the ability and make it totally useless. They are incapable of saying part x of skill y is broken let's nerf part x. Instead it is skill y is broken so let's nerf it to the ground.

Ya that's pretty much it. I'd like it if I could stack 3 shrapnels, so I could at least be good for big pulls. But currently still only 1 piece of shrapnel, because this azerite system is pretty great. At least make shooting stars baseline so I can scale my dps with pull size.
I've always been slightly confused by shooting stars as well. I thought that it was a great aoe talent for a long time, however I have heard that the more targets affected by your dots the lower the procrate for the shooting stars.

Blizzard went away from % chance to do x to this gross procs per minute stuff and I just cant quite figure out what abilities do what and where the deminishing returns start.

As for the shrapnel I love the trait but it's only good in certain situations and getting a set that isnt trash ilvl is rough. 99% of the time you're better off just running power of the moon for aoe heavy stuff or the basic single target traits forM+ and raiding.
11/13/2018 01:16 AMPosted by Flamaßlanca
Blizzard went away from % chance to do x to this gross procs per minute stuff and I just cant quite figure out what abilities do what and where the deminishing returns start.

I did some testing on Shooting stars too, here's what I found;

3.18 min, 1 target, 24 hits, 7.5 hits/min, 7.5 hits/min/target, 30 ap/min
3.4 min, 2 targets, 36 hits, 10.6 hits/min, 5.3 hits/min/target, 42.4 ap/min
3.5 min, 4 targets, 52 hits, 14.9 hits/min, 3.7 hits/min/target, 59.2 ap/min
3.33 min, 8 targets, 75 hits, 22.5 hits/min, 2.81 hits/min/target, 89.9 ap/min

I fit it to an exponential curve, and got approximately

[hits/min] = 2.8 + 8.4e^(-0.59[#targets])

I don't know how accurate this is beyond 8 targets but it seems like the kind of equation they'd match it to.
Thanks for sharing this.