Would you say Horde is more like...

General Discussion
Huey Lewis & The News or Phil Collins?

And what race would Patrick Bateman play if he played WoW?

*Mods Please Note this is simply a fun post, it harbors no intention of trolling or spamming.
11/13/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Leshe
*Mods Please Note this is simply a fun post, it harbors no intention of trolling or spamming.
If you have to tell people it isn't trolling, it's probably trolling.
I wouldn't equate the horde to either of those bands. If the horde was a band, it'd be the Rolling Stones.

I had to google who Patrick Bateman is, "a fictional main character in that movie American Psycho".

I think that pretty much sums up most of the player characters. We're basically murderhobos.
Horde is Metallica, obviously.

Alliance is Pee Wee Herman, of course.
Phil Collins plays a Blood Elf who sings Sussudio
11/13/2018 09:21 AMPosted by Romanna
11/13/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Leshe
If you have to tell people it isn't trolling, it's probably trolling.

Not at all, but some of the CMs have warped definitions as to what is and is not trolling.. I had a bad week last week with that and figured a disclaimer might hopefully clear it up if a mod comes along because someone spite reports me... I may be being a little paranoid, but last week was bad.

I just like fun silly association posts.
11/13/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Zenfixi

No, we’re not sellouts.
11/13/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Snowslight
I wouldn't equate the horde to either of those bands. If the horde was a band, it'd be the Rolling Stones.

I had to google who Patrick Bateman is, "a fictional main character in that movie American Psycho".

I think that pretty much sums up most of the player characters. We're basically murderhobos.

The whole OP is an America Psycho refrence actually. I think maybe that movie isn't as popular as it once was based on the replies so far. :-/
11/13/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Tovi

No, we’re not sellouts.

Yet we have Sylvanas as our Warchief?
11/13/2018 09:29 AMPosted by Leshe

The whole OP is an America Psycho refrence actually. I think maybe that movie isn't as popular as it once was based on the replies so far. :-/

Ah, I didn't get that reference. I don't really get into pop culture references, memes, stuff like that that is popular now so most of it goes right over my head.

If this thread stays up then later I'm sure many others will know what you're talking about.

The only thing I remember about the American Psycho movie is when he tried to put a kitten into a atm machine and some woman saw him and he shot her.

It was darkly funny *at that time but those kinds of movies aren't my thing. Ah well.

Nah, it'd be .ore of a super group, with people coming from different things for the same purpose, to melt face. A lesser known group, though. Them Crooked Vultures.
Huey Lewis and the News. Or Creation's Tears. You pick.

Alliance is Pee Wee Herman, of course.

I was thinking more Black Sabbath for the Horde because old school,

and possibly Kenny G (good god I must have daughters to even know about that guy) for Alliance.
11/13/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Beavette
11/13/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Tovi

No, we’re not sellouts.

What does that have to do with selling out?
Simple. Phil Collins along with Hugh Padgham and Steve Lillywhite helped invent the gated reverb drum sound which, for better or for worse, was the drum sound of the 80's. But in it's earliest incarnations, it was a very aggressive, very tribal drum sound - almost primitive but highly complimentary to the 3rd world music that was becoming popular at the time.

Collins, from the Genesis album "Duke" onward, began singing in a highly emotional style ala Steve Winwood, often screaming the lyrics, like on the end of "In the Air Tonight". Granted, a lot of his later music was more adult-contemporary R&B/pop. But late 70's early 80's Phil Collins was a man on a mission.

Huey Lewis and the News, on the other hand, were more in the vein of a feel-good pop/R&B bar band that made it big - they had some really good hit singles off of an excellent album Sports. They made music to party and have a good time but nothing really heavy or serious. Their popularity waned as the 80's ended.

So Collins is Horde and Huey is Alliance if we follow existing stereotypes for both factions.
Popular bands each race makes me think of...

alliance:

human - huey louis (thanks for that one)
dwarf - alman brothers
gnome - phil collins (thanks for that one too)
nelf - the cure
goat - zamfir, master of the pan flute
worgen - guns and roses
velf - pet shop boys
lf goats - abba
dark iron dwarfs - metallica

horde:

orc - black sabbath
troll - ziggy marley
goblin - lil wayne (got money)
tauren - skynyrd
belf - queen
forsaken - iron maiden
nb elfs - the smiths
hm tauren - steppenwolf (they are canadiens)
m orcs - led zeppelin
Neither. At the moment they're Cannibal Corpse.

#lowhangingfruit
11/13/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Tovi
11/13/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Beavette

What does that have to do with selling out?

Very much like Metallica turning on their fans by playing commercial friendly emo rock and cutting their hair because it was popular. They made their name by NOT following trends and catering to a certain audience. They they figured they had that audience and could forget about them and go after a new audience. Took many years of failure till they got back to something like they were, but many fans never forgot.

Blizz adding Sylvanas as warchief because it is popular is the same thing.

Who cares about the reasons the fans supported us? I am now popular enough to forget the existing fans and try to get some new ones (who might stay for a week or two till the next big thing)

Money money money!
This thread needs a time machine.