It's a shame...

General Discussion
I almost wish that they'd saved some of the villains from BC/Wrath era for more recent stuff. Since Cata, it feels as though the game's kind of blown it on notable villains and at this point they're struggling to keep people interested in the conflicts we have.

Which I believe is why they're so keen on corrupting their heroes (even though, like, a majority of the main antagonistic forces have been corrupted heroes for awhile.)

Though, personally, I don't think most of BC should have happened at all. Vashj, Kael and Illidan would be fantastic forces to have kept in the game and have popped up sometimes as side-characters, and hell, I love Lor'themar, but if I had to pick between the two, I'd have Kael as the blood elf racial leader any day.

Sure, it is possible that a few of them return- We've not heard from Kel'thuzad in a good long while, and I believe Mal'ganis was present on the Broken Shore and never truly addressed during Legion, but... We're really running out of characters here, particularly villains.
I would like more Lich king stuff.
I'm gonna commit WoW heresy here, but... the Lich King was not that great of a villain. All he really did was show up in a few zones, spout off cliched villain dialogue while leaving the heroes alive with a regularity Dr. Evil would admire, and then vanish until the very end of the expansion. And then he let us beat up his whole army even though, apparently, he could've wiped the raid literally any time he felt like it.
11/14/2018 03:16 AMPosted by Fortuna
I'm gonna commit WoW heresy here, but... the Lich King was not that great of a villain. All he really did was show up in a few zones, spout off cliched villain dialogue while leaving the heroes alive with a regularity Dr. Evil would admire, and then vanish until the very end of the expansion. And then he let us beat up his whole army even though, apparently, he could've wiped the raid literally any time he felt like it.

I completely agree in the sentiment that Wrath Arthas was written like a saturday morning cartoon supervillain, actually.

Just kind of wishing they still had some notable lore characters- Or at least, built up what they have more. We need more Nazgrims and Taylors.
We need another "you are not prepared" meme boss
We need different bad guys other than Legion demons lol.
Queen Azshara isn't a notable villain?

I also don't believe for a minute that we've gotten rid of Xavius for good. Even if he's in the Old God camp now, he still has an immortal demon soul, and we didn't kill him in the Nether.

I know it's a minority opinion, but personally I found Arthas boring. I had a very hard time caring about the story in WotLK. But if they are looking to set up a parallel Champion of the Light Who Becomes a Big Danger, Yrel is halfway there.

And of course Sylvanas certainly seems to be on the Villain end of her pendulum swing which has been pending since WC3.
11/14/2018 03:12 AMPosted by Daltorax
Arthas or Bolvar?
I actually somewhat disagree. There are only so many years that they could stretch the content that Warcraft gave them. I think that they have done well with what they had to work with. I mean they have held out on Azshara for years, because after her they really can only go to the Old Gods and the Void.

Now they are in a period where they are having to come out with fresh villains of plot lines that change heroes/"morally grey" characters/villains with some kind of loophole to get them back we are already acquainted with or a new Big Bad. While I detested WoD both content and story wise, it at least bought more time to prolong better villains in a better story line.

With that said, I do think they should try to squeeze more out of Azshara while she is still in play. I really believe that they could craft how this conflict with her plays out in 8.2 and carry it over into another expansion. Furthermore, if they throw away N'zoth in 8.3 it will be a big mistake in terms of how far they can stretch what older lore/content they have left to work with.

Of course those are only my observations, every fan's will be different, and the only time I have ever been dissatisfied (and I would call it more of disinterested) with an expansions story and villains was WoD. I think if Blizzard plays their cards right, limit their use on characters we already are pretty familiar with, and do not throw characters out through meaningless dungeons (I'm looking at you Warlord Zaela in UBRS/Ner'zhul in SBG--although they weren't Big Bads, but could have been much better raid bosses) or in one raid tier, then they are still in a good position for some future content.
11/14/2018 03:16 AMPosted by Fortuna

He wanted the best of us to gather and go to him.

11/14/2018 03:25 AMPosted by Shadøw
Arthas or Bolvar?

Not opposed to arthas returning in some way. But I was talking about Bolvar.
11/14/2018 03:25 AMPosted by Shadøw
Arthas or Bolvar?

Yes.
11/14/2018 03:18 AMPosted by Fransizka
saturday morning cartoon supervillain

you mean like Skeletor, Hordak, and Mumm-Ra?

even as an 11 year old i could see why the cartoon Megatron and Cobra Commander had to be like the campy rogues gallery of the 60's Batman TV show