Warchief Saurfang: How Will Alliance React?

Story Forum
So lets say Sylvanas steps down, Saurfang takes over, and is aggressively pro-Horde, not a "peace at any cost" green Anduin clone.

He planned and executed the War of Thorns, with his goal being driving the Alliance off Kalimdor by force. The only part he disagreed with was the pointless destruction of his prize: A big tree full of hostages.

If Saurfang still says that Kalimdor is the Horde's, and keeps gathering Azurite, will Anduin just give up and give it to him, or what?
We have to return to parity, and for that reason, there will be no satisfactory resolution, the resolution will simply be that we rampage through each other and we wind up keeping whatever territories we're entrenched in once the fighting stops.
If it wasn't for that little quip at the end, this would've been an actually interesting question.
Pfff as if.

However, wanna bet over the nuSaurfang fanboys defending him?
11/14/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Ariël
Play nice.
with anduin we could lose stormwind and he would still say "but the horde are good bois, they sure don't deserve retaliation, we must break the cycle!"

reason why someone needs to beat the crap out of him and name a new high king/queen.
Dunno y everyone is just assuming Saurfang is gunna be Warchief after Sylv innevitably gets deposed. I’m more hopeful that either Thrall or Vol’jin come back in time to take up the mantle themselves. Saurfang’s just too old.
11/14/2018 10:45 AMPosted by Ivalesse
If it wasn't for that little quip at the end, this would've been an actually interesting question.
If we didn't know that Blizz will never allow it for meta reasons, the "1 continent each for peace" plan isn't terrible. The biggest problem with it was always the Night Elves refusing to leave Kalimdor, and that's largely been taken care of now.
Another S****y story where we blame the previous warchief for all the problems and let the Horde go scotch free because the Horde got a leader they like.

And even more we won't ask for reparations or take anything back the Horde has taken because that'd mean the Horde would have to lose something permanently.
I think Anduin would concede those things to Saurfang. A Cold War is better than an actual war.

Also - and this isn’t bitterness or derision - I genuinely feel that Anduin would give up the Night Elves to the Horde to secure that peace with Warchief Saurfang.

It would be with a heavy heart and after asking Tyrande and Mal to abandon Kalimdor, but he’d do it.
I considered what would be worse then the Alliance losing the battle for Darkshore to the Horde.

I had no answer, but then the idea of them actually surrendering it with the leader of the Night Elves blessing never crossed my mind.
11/14/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Hahahahahaha
If Saurfang still says that Kalimdor is the Horde's, and keeps gathering Azurite, will Anduin just give up and give it to him, or what?

I can see a Darkshore for Tirisfal. Everyone count their loses and get ready for happy hour.
11/14/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Hahahahahaha
So lets say Sylvanas steps down, Saurfang takes over, and is aggressively pro-Horde, not a "peace at any cost" green Anduin clone.

He planned and executed the War of Thorns, with his goal being driving the Alliance off Kalimdor by force. The only part he disagreed with was the pointless destruction of his prize: A big tree full of hostages.

If Saurfang isn't all "the Alliance is right" and doesn't accept the Alliance POV, the Alliance will be all "betrayal". That is if Jaina and company don't simply assume the right to kill him in a parley because of racial guilt over being a Horde.
11/14/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Pyrogar
Dunno y everyone is just assuming Saurfang is gunna be Warchief after Sylv innevitably gets deposed. I’m more hopeful that either Thrall or Vol’jin come back in time to take up the mantle themselves. Saurfang’s just too old.

Saurfang is one of the main characters in this expansion. New voice, new model, and several CGI cinematics.
11/14/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Arlifrex
Saurfang is one of the main characters in this expansion. New voice, new model, and several CGI cinematics.

if there is something that i learned about CGI cinematics is that they are a death sentence.
Vainilla:randoms probably killed
BC:illidan,killed,revived, jailed.(maraad is also there annnd he is dead.
LK:arthas killed
Cata:deathwing, dead.
mop:Taylor and nazgrim, both dead, one revived
WoD:Garrosh,grom,mannoroth,guldan, all dead.
Legion:Varian dead, sylvanas already dead.

so.. maybe saurfang is not so safe...
OP is basically describing the dream.

Except I’d Be even more happy if Vol’jin came back, and Saurfang didn’t just “decide” to keep warring against the Alliance, but characters like Tyrande and Genn made it clear they would tolerate no further treaties.

The Alliance needs warhawks too.
A hypothetical situation that ignores pre-established lore on Saurfang's overall feelings on the conflict (wanting to stop warring so soon after the Legion conflict) and his own actions (sparing Malfurion and letting Tyrande escape with him) so that he becomes a random warmonger towards some of the people that helped him get his Horde back?

Yeah, I'd expect Anduin would be hypothetically miffed about that, and that the faction war would languish on.

But if we really want the faction war we all call a dumpster fire to drag on, I think Yagarr has the right of it, give the Alliance a chance to shoot first in a way that makes sense to their characters.
11/14/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Rothiron
A hypothetical situation that ignores pre-established lore on Saurfang's overall feelings on the conflict (wanting to stop warring so soon after the Legion conflict) and his own actions (sparing Malfurion and letting Tyrande escape with him) so that he becomes a random warmonger towards some of the people that helped him get his Horde back?
Your idea of BFA Saurfang seems pretty far off from the War of Thorns version.

Saurfang planned and led the entire War of Thorns. He personally hired and sent hundreds of assassins into Ashenvale to wipe out the populace. He personally slaughtered his way across the population of 3 NE zones after making sure he wouldn't face their army.

His "feelings and actions" are: Murder all the Night Elves...honorably.
11/14/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Grandblade
11/14/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Ariël
Play nice.

But I want to get out with a Bang!!

Such a party p00per, Anomaly.
11/14/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Arlifrex
11/14/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Pyrogar

Yeah, but Vol’jin also seems poised to make some kind of comeback and Thrall might even show up later since Metzen seems to be back and as good as ever.

Yes, I’d rather have Saurfang over Sylvanas any day of the week(or any character for that matter), but wouldn’t they rather just get someone that the vast majority can agree on like Vol’jin or Thrall instead of a character on one side of the division within the Horde? The thing is, back in MoP, the two sides were fairly clear, Garrosh supporters were the minority while most supported the Vol’jin’s rebellion, it was a clear choice from the beginning. But in BfA, both Sylv and Saurfang supporters are split right down to the middle, so it’s near impossible to choose one of the two without completely alienating half of the playerbase. It would be a foolish decision from a business standpoint and a narrative standpoint.

It would be the wisest to instead just have a character outside of both parties take up the position as to try to satisfy both sides as much as they can.