Warchief Saurfang: How Will Alliance React?

Story Forum
11/14/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Etheldald
mop:Taylor and nazgrim, both dead, one revived
taylor and nazgrim never appeared in the mop cgi cinematic, all we saw was a rando human and orc
I’d be shocked if he becomes warchief. I expect him to have a Grom moment.
There'll probably be some sort of big new threat that will conveniently put politics aside once Saurfang takes over. That way we can have another big Alliance vs Horde dustup another couple expansions down the line. It's kind of a 'same time next week?' thing.
Your idea of BFA Saurfang seems pretty far off from the War of Thorns version.

Saurfang planned and led the entire War of Thorns. He personally hired and sent hundreds of assassins into Ashenvale to wipe out the populace. He personally slaughtered his way across the population of 3 NE zones after making sure their army couldn't stop him.

His "feelings and actions" are: Murder all the Night Elves...honorably.
1) Sylvanas had to convince him that pursuing war at that time was in the interest in the long term survival of the Horde using both the Horde's tactical disadvantages, the Alliance's recent (relatively unprovoked) aggression, and the

2) Both factions use spies and assassins, Anduin packed Orgrimmar full of Alliance spies as well. The main aim of the assassins was to attack and weaken the military forces. Quest text would indicate that the civilians were not ordered or even necessary.

3) War is war. The Alliance in the course of their attack on Undercity erased several towns with their own populations, Brill chief among them. Of course, Brill and several towns in Darkshore probably benefited from advanced notice and prompt evacuation anyways once they were alerted to the oncoming aggression.

At the very least, Saurfang is represented as in-game as ordering civilians not be harmed and even removed from the battlefield, and has no lines in the stories directly ordering civilians present in the Ashenvale outposts (primarily military in nature) to have their forces weakened. And most tellingly, he not only spared Malfurion, he gave Tyrande a tip not to stay in Darnassus, saving the both of them regardless of whether or not Sylvanas burned the tree down.

We might disagree with him going to war at all and inflicting casualties on the Night Elves, even not including the Teldrassil body count, but he still has moral standards as a character. And him randomly going to war against Anduin would still be out of character for him, hence why I term your premise a hypothetical.

Edit: Note that two out of three of my points about Saurfang were actually from A Good War, ie The War of Thorns version.
11/14/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Rothiron
1) Sylvanas had to convince him that pursuing war at that time was in the interest in the long term survival of the Horde using both the Horde's tactical disadvantages, the Alliance's recent (relatively unprovoked) aggression
Sylvanas said "let's wipe the Nights Elves off the continent". And Saurfang said "Yes! Let's use assassins, blackmail, kidnapping, and cleanse all their cities while there's nothing but civilians to stop us!" Sylvanas never ordered him as Warchief, he decided it was a fantastic idea too.
11/14/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Rothiron
And him randomly going to war against Anduin would still be out of character for him, hence why I term your premise a hypothetical.
I'm not suggesting he "goes to war with Anduin", I'm suggesting he might complete the war THAT HE STARTED with the Alliance if he takes the Horde.
Even if sylvanas was executed by the alliance and saurfang was given warchief, I still feel like half of the alliance would want the horde dismantled. Also, varian threatened to do so if they "failed to uphold honor" so why would anduin let the horde go on, does he not respect his dads wishes?
Sylvanas said "let's wipe the Nights Elves off the continent". And Saurfang said "Yes! Let's use assassins, blackmail, kidnapping, and cleanse all their cities while there's nothing but civilians to stop us!" Sylvanas never ordered him as Warchief, he decided it was a fantastic idea too.
That's a funny way of saying "Let's capture Darnassus and use it as a hostage."

11/14/2018 07:30 PMPosted by Hahahahahaha
I'm not suggesting he "goes to war with Anduin", I'm suggesting he might complete the war THAT HE STARTED with the Alliance if he takes the Horde.
And that'd be different... how?
11/14/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Hahahahahaha
If Saurfang still says that Kalimdor is the Horde's, and keeps gathering Azurite, will Anduin just give up and give it to him, or what?

Why do you assume he would give up instead of continue the fight and try and stop the Horde while they were just weakened by a civil war. Hell, he would probably use such an event to sow discord among the Horde.
11/14/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Rothiron
11/14/2018 07:30 PMPosted by Hahahahahaha
And that'd be different... how?
Bush invaded Afganistan, Obama merely continued the war for 8 years. Are they the same?

On the other hand, Saurfang started the current war against the Alliance as it's planner and leader. So the example may not be perfect.

Also, why didn't Tyrande or any other NE kill Saurfang during his 6 month SW vacation?