New WOTLK Inspired Expansion?

General Discussion
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that both WoD and Legion expansions borrowed heavily from Burning Crusade. Going through the Legion content, I thought it was pretty awesome that we got to see a more current ICC with Bolvar Fordragon in charge.

Since it seems like Blizzard is starting to run out of new ideas (let's face it, MoP was the last expansion that truly felt like something new to WoW), what would you think of the next expansion being centered around the Corruption of Fordragon?

It might be interesting to have a "frost-fire" antagonist with the story revolving around bringing him back into the fold and finding a less burdening resolution to the Scourge (as opposed to the "There must always be a Lich King" solution) rather than destroying him.

I'm not sure what the new continent would be, but I'd love to hear thoughts on this idea and if you think it's a direction Blizzard could or would go sometime in the future?

Thanks!
No Wrath of the Lich King love anymore?
I can see them going back to Northrend at some point.

The undead storyline was my absolute favorite so far in the game.
11/14/2018 04:28 PMPosted by Stompypotato
The undead storyline was

Well it's still unfinished. WE have a missing litch somewhere after all.
I can see them going back to Northrend at some point.

The undead storyline was my absolute favorite so far in the game.

Mine too. I love how the Lich King (Arthas in this case) made his presence known throughout much of it. The story was definitely solid, and the continent was absolutely gorgeous!
11/14/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Fiznazzle
The undead storyline was

We do? Now I'm curious. I know Arthas is dead, and Fordragon is currently still in ICC.
I do miss fighting endless armies of undead.

They could make a WotLK-like expansion with Sylvanas. She's not as powerful as Arthas, but she could create an army just as big if she were to go fully unhinged. She already has the Valkyr, apothecaries, and abominations. All she'd need to do is recruit the San'layn, who are easy to recruit as they're motivated by hunger, and rebuild the Cult of the Damned by promoting necromancy. That's basically the Scourge right there.

This would have to occur after her Horde loses and she escapes after being backed to a corner again.
11/14/2018 04:35 PMPosted by Blasco

They could make a WotLK-like expansion with Sylvanas. She's not as powerful as Arthas, but she could create an army just as big if she were to go fully unhinged. She already has the Valkyr, apothecaries, and abominations. All she'd need to do is recruit the San'layn, who are easy to recruit as they're motivated by hunger, and rebuild the Cult of the Damned by promoting necromancy. That's basically the Scourge right there.

This would have to occur after her Horde loses and she escapes after being backed to a corner again.

But could she corrupt Bolvar? It would be pretty badass for the final ICC raid to be Fordragon in place of Sindragosa and Sylvanas in place of Arthas.
I could see a Sylvannas “Lich Queen” story being pretty damn cool, but somehow I think the cult of Sylvannas would throw a fit.

Which lich is missing? Kel’Thazad?
11/14/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Tyränt
But could she corrupt Bolvar? It would be pretty badass for the final ICC raid to be Fordragon in place of Sindragosa and Sylvanas in place of Arthas.

I could see that. She'd be truly terrifying if she were able to influence the new Lich King to her whims.
They basically foreshadow this in the DK class hall quest line.
let's face it, MoP was the last expansion that truly felt like something new to WoW

Sorry, but the Jaina/Kul'Tiran story arc strongly disagrees here.

She already recruited the sanlyn dudes.
Alliance kill them during their war campaign, ending their threat.

They were planning to betray the horde anyway (they reveal this during the scenario)

They were planning to betray the horde anyway (they reveal this during the scenario)

This is why I have little hope for an actually engaging story. This was the perfect opportunity for Sylvanas to progress even further down the dark road she's on and those guys would have been really cool counterparts. Instead? They want to betray her, (which doesn't really make any sense since she and they are probably pretty short on available Allies)... and then the Alliance wipes them out.

Na, what we're going to end up with is King Underoos coming out on top of the Alliance heap as the result of some seriously cheezzzball feel-good scenario, (probably involving a Kumbaya Moment with Saurfang). On Horde side, we'll likely see either a completely implausible redemption arc for Sylvanas or something equally as limp.

This is why I have little hope for an actually engaging story. This was the perfect opportunity for Sylvanas to progress even further down the dark road she's on and those guys would have been really cool counterparts. Instead? They want to betray her, (which doesn't really make any sense since she and they are probably pretty short on available Allies)... and then the Alliance wipes them out.

Na, what we're going to end up with is King Underoos coming out on top of the Alliance heap as the result of some seriously cheezzzball feel-good scenario, (probably involving a Kumbaya Moment with Saurfang). On Horde side, we'll likely see either a completely implausible redemption arc for Sylvanas or something equally as limp.

But couldn't she still go after Fordragon?
11/14/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Tyränt
11/14/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Fiznazzle

We do? Now I'm curious. I know Arthas is dead, and Fordragon is currently still in ICC.

I'll give you a hint, he has a kitty cat. Well... had is a better word I suppose.
i am shocked how many people remember the story of MOP being good.

i never quit an expansion as fast as that one
11/14/2018 05:27 PMPosted by Wally
i am shocked how many people remember the story of MOP being good.

i never quit an expansion as fast as that one

MoP was when I actually took my first "break". Unintentionally of course, but leveling there felt slow, and the zones were too much alike. I eventually returned for Waterstrider and Cloud Serpent farming, but it did feel a bit dull with no main antagonist.
11/14/2018 01:31 PMPosted by Tyränt
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that both WoD and Legion expansions borrowed heavily from Burning Crusade. Going through the Legion content, I thought it was pretty awesome that we got to see a more current ICC with Bolvar Fordragon in charge.

Since it seems like Blizzard is starting to run out of new ideas (let's face it, MoP was the last expansion that truly felt like something new to WoW), what would you think of the next expansion being centered around the Corruption of Fordragon?

It might be interesting to have a "frost-fire" antagonist with the story revolving around bringing him back into the fold and finding a less burdening resolution to the Scourge (as opposed to the "There must always be a Lich King" solution) rather than destroying him.

I'm not sure what the new continent would be, but I'd love to hear thoughts on this idea and if you think it's a direction Blizzard could or would go sometime in the future?

Thanks!

Oh my god! And Cataclysm and MoP could both be considered Vanilla expansions because they were designed around Azeroth and the Old Gods.
Based on this cycle we have 2 scourge style expansions to look forward to coming up next and who knows what for the future!
11/14/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Haavi
11/14/2018 01:31 PMPosted by Tyränt

Thanks!

Oh my god! And Cataclysm and MoP could both be considered Vanilla expansions because they were designed around Azeroth and the Old Gods.
Based on this cycle we have 2 scourge style expansions to look forward to coming up next and who knows what for the future!

Well, no. I consider everything past WOTLK to be in a completely different time period. I certainly do NOT see Cata and MoP to be a part of the origin cycle, but merely MoP being the last of the original content that we've seen so far. Who knows. Instead of a new continent, perhaps a WOTLK expansion could send us back to the lands we knew pre Cata rather tan a new continent.