Fresh 120 Guardian with one big question

Druid
Is there a way to silence party/instance chat?

I thought League of Legends had a toxic community... wow. I'm trying to learn the new 120 dungeons and I'm not the world's best tank-- but I'm by no means the worst, either. One slip up today with one wipe and people just flipped out, being general !@#$%^-s.

What's the best way to just disable chat?
I just ignore the chat.

I think, also, there's a lot of hate towards Guardians because we're considered, "Bad," at the moment, since we don't push M+ keys and have a bit of lack of utility.
If multiple people are acting that way in normals of all places just leave. Your a tank with an instaqueue.

If its a single person vote to kick and if it doesnt go through either thick skin it or leave if you want. Honestly tanks have the option of just ditching because of the queue time.
Just right click on your chat window and create a new tab. Don't have anything checked for that tab and while you're in an instance be on that tab. It'll really be up to you to not be tempted to go back to normal chat during the dungeon.

Also, get used to people being mad or voting to kick you, Guardian is in a horrible spot right now until you get geared and even then it's not fantastic. Blizzard really missed the mark with Guardians and because of their lack of attention to that fact I feel like they're basically telling Druids to be any other spec.
Bear are bad right now.

My advise to a new tank is simple: pull way back, and mark a focus target. It will reduce your accidental pulls some at the cost of some time, and hopefully you only lose one mob to dps aggro rather than all of them.

I also strongly suggest a mouseover macro for growl.
Tanking means never having to say sorry. If they got a problem they can get there arss back in the ques. Don't take any crap from mouthy dps, if they lifted there game you wouldn't be in this situation!
If you think it’s a you problem when it comes to a mess up, ide suggest videos, guides and the discord for advise.

If you believe it’s a them problem, we’ll the answer has been given. Make a new chat window and forget it or just leave and re up instantly. To many times obviously will result in the 30 min debuff. Or thick skin it.
Bears are decent tanks but not great, they just lack utility for M+ content and have a bit of ramp up time where they are a little squishy.

Tanking can be a bit stressful because you are expected to know the content, essentially already be overgeared for the content you are running (more so at N and H levels) and DPS just want a speed run because chances are this is them just levelling an alt by now and they already know the encounter and just want it over so they can enter their next lengthy queue.

As has been said, take a thick skin with you and enjoy your insta-queue, if you make a mistake and they boot you just queue again. What is funny is when you get booted for being a "bad tank" when it's dps not following mechanics and then you insta-queue back into the same group lol.
If you disable chat and miss the healer saying "be right back a second" - people will hate you more, and if you fail to respond to them asking serious things they'll think you're a jerk and possibly vote kick you.

Look, I get it's annoying and toxicity sucks, try running with a healer friend or two so you don't have to worry about being kicked or whatever...........but as a tank, I highly recommend you NOT turn off all chat and cut yourself off from your healer and team like that......people need to be able to communicate with the tank, especially your healer. Maybe roll as a boomy to learn the dungeons, vs. a tank.....and if you still wanna turn ur chat off for dps, then fine, but for a tank? Yikes, plz don't.

Tanks and Healers eventually learn to have thick skin, we're blamed for everything.......and eventually you learn to deal with it better.(I say "we're" because I mainly tank and then heal.....this is my first expansion maining DPS like this)
Again, learning a dungeon is usually better as a dps or even a healer, vs. a tank.....so maybe try that for a few runs, read the dungeon journal thing, and them BAM - good to go!

Also, check out some dungeon guides on wowhead - those helped me a ton!!!

For example:
At the start of BFA, before I read up on the dungeons, I kept dying ton the first boss in Temple and would be like "WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE DYING!!?" ---- in a couple minutes of reading I learned not to hit the one holding the lightning shield thing, and that my deaths were all because of that! LOL

Seriously, read some guides, run as dps to learn dungeons, just don't turn off chat as a tank, that is an awful awful awful idea.
I highly discourage you from turning off all chat.
Not gonna be easy to learn how to tank if you ignore your group. Just ignore the negative comments. Hiding in your safe space isn't going to do you much good.
10/09/2018 10:21 PMPosted by Wildflöwer
If you disable chat and miss the healer saying "be right back a second" - people will hate you more, and if you fail to respond to them asking serious things they'll think you're a jerk and possibly vote kick you.

Look, I get it's annoying and toxicity sucks, try running with a healer friend or two so you don't have to worry about being kicked or whatever...........but as a tank, I highly recommend you NOT turn off all chat and cut yourself off from your healer and team like that......people need to be able to communicate with the tank, especially your healer. Maybe roll as a boomy to learn the dungeons, vs. a tank.....and if you still wanna turn ur chat off for dps, then fine, but for a tank? Yikes, plz don't.

Tanks and Healers eventually learn to have thick skin, we're blamed for everything.......and eventually you learn to deal with it better.(I say "we're" because I mainly tank and then heal.....this is my first expansion maining DPS like this)
Again, learning a dungeon is usually better as a dps or even a healer, vs. a tank.....so maybe try that for a few runs, read the dungeon journal thing, and them BAM - good to go!

Also, check out some dungeon guides on wowhead - those helped me a ton!!!

For example:
At the start of BFA, before I read up on the dungeons, I kept dying ton the first boss in Temple and would be like "WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE DYING!!?" ---- in a couple minutes of reading I learned not to hit the one holding the lightning shield thing, and that my deaths were all because of that! LOL

Seriously, read some guides, run as dps to learn dungeons, just don't turn off chat as a tank, that is an awful awful awful idea.

just want to point out if your being verbally abused by your team its their own fault that they can no longer communicate with you. you have to give respect to get it. the solution is not well everyones gonna be mean to tanks and healers so you just have to learn to deal with it and keep going. it should be they try to be constructive and cause a conversation to try to improve the situation. why put all the stress on healers and tanks to deal with crappy people and dps get to act however they want? and people wonder why tanks and healers keep getting more and more rare