Fishing Needs a Change

General Discussion
10/12/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Haven
I like fishing the way it is, just a way to zone out and chill. Last thing I want is more interaction with something that has always been a relaxing thing to do in off time.

So do I. There are plenty of active, exciting things to do in game already; fishing fills a nice little niche -- it's something quiet and relaxing, which nevertheless yields useful results. If I want any adrenaline rush from fishing, I'll go fish in Org on an Alliance alt.

P.S. I hate fishing "raids". Hate, hate, hate. WoW fishing is not meant to be a large group activity. Clearly, there are a lot of players who disagree with me (not to mention Blizzard). I don't give a rat's nethers.
I want different races to have different methods of fishing.

Humans, Forsaken = traditional fishing pole

Draenei - fishing net

Orc, troll, tauren - fishing spear

Pandaren - catching fish by hand, slapping them out of the water onto the bank

Dwarves - harpoon gun

Gnomes - remote-piloted fishing tonk

Night elves - hand-cast string with hook, bobber, etc.

Other elves - fishing 'spell' to levitate them out of the water (concentrate... there... now... grab it as the spell fizzles!)

While the animations may be different, there'd have to be a period of waiting (concentration) and then action (click the bobber, fire the harpoon, swat the fish, whatever) to actually catch one.

Obviously some will have a slight advantage over others, perhaps a chance to snag more than one fish, or the ability to stand IN the water instead of on the bank, or the ability to stand on the bank and send something into the water for you. But hey, not like we don't have racial abilities in other areas....
I personally believe fishing and archaeology should've had a spot next to First Aid in the trash. They're very droning professions with little, if any, benefits outside of mounts with such unforgiving drop rates. At least cooking gives you beneficial stats. That's just my take on it.
I would settle for multiple catches on a lure/cast and a non time restrictive midnight fish. Or make midnight fish more common of a catch so it can overlap with fishing during the day. As it is you barely break even for midnights while fishing in window and then if you fish during the day you cant craft anything because you're missing a key ingredient.

10/12/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Hp
I personally believe fishing and archaeology should've had a spot next to First Aid in the trash. They're very droning professions with little, if any, benefits outside of mounts with such unforgiving drop rates. At least cooking gives you beneficial stats. That's just my take on it.

It's not 'fun' because its tedious/unrewarding. If arch would actually drop the crap you need or you could target items and/or scan an entire area and then just pick stuff up .. it would be a lot more fun of a time sink. Fishing however is a necessity for raiding, drop rates need to be higher. Everyone is spending in either true time or money about 8 hours a week farming.
10/12/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Elsabe

Draenei - fishing net

Dwarves - harpoon gun

Other elves - fishing 'spell' to levitate them out of the water (concentrate... there... now... grab it as the spell fizzles!)

While the animations may be different, there'd have to be a period of waiting (concentration) and then action (click the bobber, fire the harpoon, swat the fish, whatever) to actually catch one.

Obviously some will have a slight advantage over others, perhaps a chance to snag more than one fish, or the ability to stand IN the water instead of on the bank, or the ability to stand on the bank and send something into the water for you. But hey, not like we don't have racial abilities in other areas....

Don't forget goblins - throw dynamite into the water.
10/12/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Notagin
10/12/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Elsabe

Draenei - fishing net

Dwarves - harpoon gun

do you guys really want them to waste time and effort on things like this given what else could use that time and effort.
10/12/2018 05:14 AMPosted by Kaitelynn
Hello, everyone! I want to sit down with you all, and see if you're interested in this idea, and maybe get some traction for it to be implemented by the game developers.

Currently with Mining and Herbalism, you can click on a node and gather the entire thing in one fell swoop. It was a change that was, at the time, a godsend it seemed like. It made farming more efficient for both ores and herbs. I want to bring the same sort of thing, as well as a couple other things, to fishing.

Don't get me wrong, there have been vast improvements over the years. Additional bobbers, baits, new fishing poles, etc. Can't say that I've exactly gotten new visually seen items with herbalism or mining every expansion, at least not ones that are easily noticeable.

Additionally, I liked the idea of getting quests to learn new techniques to gather more items from a node that came with Legion, instead of just finding a mining node that was 'Rich X' ore nodes. It felt like I was involved more with learning about how to gather the new resources. I will say I didn't like how long it took for some people to get Rank 3 of certain professions (ie; it took me until ToS to finally get Rank 3 of Felslate nodes. Not seam, just the more common node). Battle for Azeroth's Rank 3's, on the other hand, felt much better paced. And it continued involving the character with the story of how the Zandalari work their natural resources.

So, what am I proposing here? For the sake of a little bit of vanity, it's this:

New reputation, immediately available in Battle for Azeroth's next major patch, or possibly next expansion, and be a present faction until the End Times. Inspired by The Anglers, which should never have been left behind. Let's call it...

Kaitelynn's Fishing Emporium
Neutral: You hear about this faction, and investigate. There shouldn't be a whole lot quite yet available, just as with most reputations. Basic vendor items available.

Friendly: At friendly, you unlock new vendor items. A couple new bobber, maybe a slightly-cooler-than-basic-fishing pole, Rank 2 cooking recipe that involves fish, etc.

Key Friendly Unlock: This is the point where you learn the very basics of fishing in the new expansion. If this were to go live with BFA, I would give fishing a chance to pull out 50% more fish per cast. Provide an introductory quest or short questline to get this, as well as a few World Quests in the various zones to gain reputation and fishing related rewards. In the future expansions, this will be Rank 1 Fishing for that expansion as you learn basic knowledge about the new fish.

Revered: At Revered, you unlock more vendor items as usual. More bobbers, other Rank 2 recipes or even Rank 3 recipes of non-feast cooking recipes.

Key Revered unlock: Fishing lures that attract specific types of fish when in open water fishing. (Example, currently you open water fish and get an average of 50% casts being Redtail Loach or Greatsea Catfish; this would change this chance to something like a Redtail Loach lure providing closer to 80% of casts being Redtail Loach, and 20% Greatsea Catfish). In future expansions, this would be Rank 2 for that expansion as you learn about the new fish.

Exalted: At Exalted, every vendor item is available. The tabard, new faction related mount, toys, pets, etc, as well as one of the Rank 3 feasts recipes perhaps.

Key Exalted unlock: You're now able to buy a Cast Net. This is a new item that would allow you to cast over a fishing node, consume the entire node, and provide 10-15 fish from it. In future expansions, this will be the Rank 3 unlock for that expansion as you learn about the new fish.

I hereby relinquish any ownership of this idea to Blizzard to be used for the World of Warcraft.

And, uh, sorry for the Wall of Text. I just think this can help bring Fishing as a gathering profession in line with the other gathering professions.

I can see some merit in this idea to an extent like the lures for specific fish and such. I kind of feel bad that it's more efficient for me to just stand in one place and fish in open water rather than hunt for nodes because I seem to get way more Midnight Salmon while I am fishing up loach or fangtooth (the other 50% of fish I turn into oil- sarcastic woohoo!).

You do realize that the artifact pole gave fishers the opportunity to gather a barrel of fish that collected the entire node in one cast right? It was actually perfect in my mind because it kept fishing somewhat entertaining, but there was enough RNG that you couldn't just get 200 fish in 15 minutes. They don't really need to reinvent that part, just figure out a way to give it back to us.

I am on the fence about ranks. It was great in Legion to me for other professions, but this expansion they changed so much that nothing really feels very good.

I'm not really sure that the community will be super receptive to another important aspect of the game being tied to a reputation (last expansion was fine because the Dal guy only gave cosmetic items and rewards like mounts/pets). I'm not sure I would like it either considering I still don't have my rank 3 feast recipe and I definitely don't want any rank 3 recipes tied to WQs.
10/12/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Amine
10/12/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Notagin

do you guys really want them to waste time and effort on things like this given what else could use that time and effort.

Since you asked, I'd be willing to 'sacrifice' my portion of the chits that would be spent on mythic raiding (since I don't do mythic raiding) to be put into stuff like this.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I'm sure their fishing/profession crew isn't focused on class design or rotational problems.
Or MAYBE that's why meteors are falling from the sky and the tectonic plates of the earth are shifting. THEY'RE SECRETLY WORKING ON FISHING AND CLASS DESIGN AND BALANCE IS BEING DISREGARDED.
10/12/2018 01:33 PMPosted by Exuri

I'm sure their fishing/profession crew isn't focused on class design or rotational problems.
Or MAYBE that's why meteors are falling from the sky and the tectonic plates of the earth are shifting. THEY'RE SECRETLY WORKING ON FISHING AND CLASS DESIGN AND BALANCE IS BEING DISREGARDED.

Tecttonic plates of Azeroth* ;)

Though I wonder if Azeroth would even really have tectonic plates. There's got to be some form, right? There are definitely volcanoes and stuff.

I'd like to see more unconventional fishing, too! Fishing in lava with magically enhanced lures or fishing poles? Yes!

Tecttonic plates of Azeroth* ;)

Though I wonder if Azeroth would even really have tectonic plates. There's got to be some form, right? There are definitely volcanoes and stuff.

I'd like to see more unconventional fishing, too! Fishing in lava with magically enhanced lures or fishing poles? Yes!

You do realize you can do that.Alchemy in cata you would have need of volatiles ,for recipes and transmutation ,and one of the ways was fishing for fire volatiles in lava pools, same with water in fishing pools.

As tectonic plates ,i do see them but if they were active i dk.
I miss barrels and the artifact from Legion. Pools in BFA feel absolutely useless.

I like the ideas the OP presented tho. Dunno if I want another fishing rep, but I like the ideas.
Blizz will never fix crafting or fishing cause they are phasing out WoW for a new project. Source: Hunch.
10/12/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Kaitelynn
10/12/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Haven
I like fishing the way it is, just a way to zone out and chill. Last thing I want is more interaction with something that has always been a relaxing thing to do in off time.

And that's cool! I get it; I like watching YouTube or Netflix while fishing. There shouldn't be anything stopping you from doing exactly what you're doing now. In fact, aside from the Cast Net at the exalted reputation, you can continue exactly as you are now if you wanted to, while still targeting certain fish you want and being slightly better rewarded for fishing in general than you are currently in BFA live.

But if you don't jump through all the hoops and spend months on the hamster wheel, you will be at a huge disadvantage compared with people who did. So it's another long project that people will have to do.

Pretty sure that now you've posted it devs are on this already.
10/12/2018 01:33 PMPosted by Exuri

Whatever they are doing it really has to be more important than make different ways for the various races to fish. Of course, maybe wrong thread to express that view but there are many other things they could do with fishing than waste time doing that.
10/12/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Cheburashka
Blizz will never fix crafting or fishing cause they are phasing out WoW for a new project. Source: Hunch.

You really ought to get those hunches checked. Have you had a CAT scan lately?

(Either that or someone's severely breaking an NDA. Whoopsie.)
10/12/2018 07:01 AMPosted by Sorelai
I do miss the instant catch feature of the Fishing Artifact. At least water walking still works with it.

More fishing fun would be enjoyed.

Same here. I'm very disappointed that the Fishing artifact wasn't carried forward for BfA. I'd even be fine with having to reacquire those talents for the new content as long as we could still use the same talents, ie the barrels of fish. I would have no problem with 'releveling' the Underlight Angler in the new content while still having the old talents in the Legion content.

I appreciate that they are allowing the continued use of waterwalking, etc., from the Angler. I just wish we could still use the barrel.
I'd like to take a moment and thank everyone for taking a look at this both on these forums, and on the woweconomy reddit. It was enough to get it noticed by Wowhead's Weekly Wrap-Up!

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287873/wow-economy-weekly-wrap-up-8-1-ptr-recipes-fishing-niche-markets-plus-the-underm
10/12/2018 07:14 AMPosted by Nemiril

A fishing pole gear slot would be awesome though, so we would automagically use our favorite pole and not have to worry about re-equipping out weapon when attacked.

The sort of did this. Fishing level maxes out at 150, do a personal pole doesn't help at all. You may as well just use the default built-in pole.

(Ideally, fishing level should decrease cast times when over the max.)
Fishing should become a minigame like those old SNES fishing games that were so damn addicting. Super Black Bass for example.