PVP Flagging: Confused!

General Discussion
This is not a complaint. I am honestly confused.

I play in pve mode, having never been interested in the War Mode thing. But when I am doing world quests, occasionally I will stumble into or pass by an Alliance town, flight path or camp. Sometimes I am attacked by guards, sometimes not.

But I flag PvP immediately.

This is even if I do not attack or otherwise bother the guards or NPC's.

After passing through the town, I get the old "5 minute timer" on the pvp flag that will go away if I wait out the five minutes or immediately if I hop on a flight path.

What, exactly, is going on:

1) Am I in War Mode, for the 5 minutes?

2) Do I get "sharded" to a pvp shard for the five minutes?

3) If I do not get sharded to the pvp shard what is the point of flagging me?

I have never once seen an alliance player flagged pvp during my five minutes. Not once. Again, I play on a pve server. So what is the point? Why flag me pvp if I am not transported to a pvp shard, if that's how pvp is handled these days .

Again, this is not really a complaint.

Personally, I think if I do not take any hostile action I should not be flagged. I mean, literally, you are just walking down a road and boom, out of the blue, you get flagged.

Heck, I was even flagged once right after finishing a pet battle.

Where is the logic in this?

I just do not understand this flagging on a pve server or shard and what exactly it means. Did the developers think this through? Am I missing something?

If anyone could explain what is going on, I would appreciate it.
Yeah that's annoying when you accidentally stumble into an opposing faction town and are flagged for 5 minutes for some odd reason only known to Blizzard staff and maybe Medivh. Why the heck would this happen when we didn't attack anything or do anything naughty?

I've never (knock on wood) been killed by another player the few times that this has happened to me

Honestly it is a valid complaint
Think about it. You're still in enemy territory. You don't want the opposing faction to just walk right on into your town. Especially if you're at war.

No you don't get sharded into warmode. You're still in the same zone as before.

Alliance not flagged just means that they aren't flagged. I'm not sure if it still works,(it did a few weeks ago) but you can still switch to pvp mode via your portrait. Or could.

It's just not like it used to be. On a pvp server you could be attacked at any time.
Now it's if you are near or in the opposite factions territory.

I've at times been attacked by guards and sometimes not. I just keep going and hope they don't decide to start chasing me afterwards.
My problem with this for this xpac is some of the world quests are right along patrol paths for guards (on both sides) making it a pain in the butt. If they could fix the pathing at least part of this issue would go away.

(puts out cookies for all to enjoy)
It’s another attempt by Blizz to force you to PvP. It didn’t used to be this way. You used to only be flagged if you either defended yourself, or hung out in a PvP location for too long. This was to let you escape if you wanted.

But, since that led to the PvP system being dead, Blizz went back to trying to trick people into PvP.
Only time I get flagged in enemy territory is if a elite sees me I can run all around the Horde area and not get flagged but if a enemy elite sees me then I get flagged.
10/13/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Rastlin
This is not a complaint. I am honestly confused.

I play in pve mode, having never been interested in the War Mode thing. But when I am doing world quests, occasionally I will stumble into or pass by an Alliance town, flight path or camp. Sometimes I am attacked by guards, sometimes not.

But I flag PvP immediately.

This is even if I do not attack or otherwise bother the guards or NPC's.

After passing through the town, I get the old "5 minute timer" on the pvp flag that will go away if I wait out the five minutes or immediately if I hop on a flight path.

I have never once seen an alliance player flagged pvp during my five minutes. Not once. Again, I play on a pve server. So what is the point? Why flag me pvp if I am not transported to a pvp shard, if that's how pvp is handled these days .

Again, this is not really a complaint.

Personally, I think if I do not take any hostile action I should not be flagged. I mean, literally, you are just walking down a road and boom, out of the blue, you get flagged.

Heck, I was even flagged once right after finishing a pet battle.

Where is the logic in this?

I just do not understand this flagging on a pve server or shard and what exactly it means. Did the developers think this through? Am I missing something?

If anyone could explain what is going on, I would appreciate it.
same as pve server before change getting too close to enemy faction guards and getting attacked will flag you
10/13/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Grumbles
My problem with this for this xpac is some of the world quests are right along patrol paths for guards (on both sides) making it a pain in the butt. If they could fix the pathing at least part of this issue would go away.

Worst place for that to happen is on Kul'tiris. Everything is jumbled in some areas. I jumped down from a Horde flight point and right into an Alliance camp.

For those who might wonder: Donk doesn't protect you from Alliance guards.

10/13/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Tyriellais
It’s another attempt by Blizz to force you to PvP. It didn’t used to be this way. You used to only be flagged if you either defended yourself, or hung out in a PvP location for too long. This was to let you escape if you wanted.

But, since that led to the PvP system being dead, Blizz went back to trying to trick people into PvP.

You aren't being forced. No more than it used to be on normal servers. That hasn't changed. Only thing changed was pvp servers.

Kinda doesn't make sense to let the opposite faction just wander in and out of your cities with no consequence. We're still at war.

I do think they need to make the Alliance/Horde flags bigger. Kinda hard at times to see them.
What happened to the 10 second warning. This did not bother me until I did get attacked by an Alliance player who of course waited until I engaged an elite world quest boss then popped out of stealth and tried to gank me. Didn't work but it was still annoying if I want to PvP I will play a PvP game.
10/13/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Ganner
What happened to the 10 second warning. This did not bother me until I did get attacked by an Alliance player who of course waited until I engaged an elite world quest boss then popped out of stealth and tried to gank me. Didn't work but it was still annoying if I want to PvP I will play a PvP game.

I've only been on a timer when doing the Legion pvp zones. Or warned when near Wintergrasp.

Getting to close to opposite faction bases/guards has always been instant.
10/13/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Rastlin

No. You're PVP Flagged.

No. You shouldn't get sharded due to this.

You engaged in PVP combat with the enemy faction. Even if you didn't attack them, you aggroed NPCs with a PVP flag. This works the exact same as it always has. It works the same as if you typed "/pvp". Warmode doesn't replace this.

Warmode is simply a consolidation of PVP servers to try and counteract faction balance. It was chosen over the more appropriate method of server mergers and consolidation. How well it achieves this goal is a different topic. What warmode doesn't do is replace the PVP flagging that we have had for the last 14 years. If you engage the enemy faction by running through their quest hubs, you will be flagged for PVP. Just like it happened in Legion and every expansion before BFA.
Normal servers still work exactly the same as they did before warmode.

If you accidentally get to close to the other factions city/town/hub you'll get flagged for 5 minutes.

You can run around flagged on a normal server without turning on warmode and it will be exactly as it was before. Players on the other faction that are flagged can attack you, you can attack others who are flagged. This is not the same as warmode and will not put you on a warmode shard.

The point of keeping these auto-flagging rules in place is that it prevents players from going and wiping out all the quest-givers, etc without that faction being able to anything about it.

If you didn't still get auto-flagged for getting too close and/or attacking enemy NPCs, you'd be able to shutdown quest hubs with impunity.

What happened to the 10 second warning.

The 10 second warning was only for (as far as I remember) the Legion warden tower and free-for-all pvp zones. Those were the only places I ever remember getting the warning. Wandering too close to an opposing faction hub never warned you that I recall.
10/13/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Eppa

If you accidentally get to close to the other factions city/town/hub you'll get flagged for 5 minutes.

You can run around flagged on a normal server without turning on warmode and it will be exactly as it was before. Players on the other faction that are flagged can attack you, you can attack others who are flagged. This is not the same as warmode and will not put you on a warmode shard.

The point of keeping these auto-flagging rules in place is that it prevents players from going and wiping out all the quest-givers, etc without that faction being able to anything about it.

If you didn't still get auto-flagged for getting too close and/or attacking enemy NPCs, you'd be able to shutdown quest hubs with impunity.

What happened to the 10 second warning.

The 10 second warning was only for (as far as I remember) the Legion warden tower and free-for-all pvp zones. Those were the only places I ever remember getting the warning. Wandering too close to an opposing faction hub never warned you that I recall.

But if "The point of keeping these auto-flagging rules in place is that it prevents players from going and wiping out all the quest-givers, etc without that faction being able to anything about it.", then shouldn't you be transported to a pvp shard?

Because, the thing is, there are no other flagged players around from the other faction. This is because, due to War Mode, players who want to be flagged have gone to a capital city, flagged, and then were transported to a pvp shard.

So they won't be there to defend. Who, exactly, then, other than the NPC's will be there to "do something about it"?

Indeed, I have seen flagged alliance players in Horde towns. My understandinbg is I cannot flag, because of the way warmode works.

This is especially appropriate give the random nature of the flagging.
10/13/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Rastlin

But if "The point of keeping these auto-flagging rules in place is that it prevents players from going and wiping out all the quest-givers, etc without that faction being able to anything about it.", then shouldn't you be transported to a pvp shard?

Because, the thing is, there are no other flagged players around from the other faction. This is because, due to War Mode, players who want to be flagged have gone to a capital city, flagged, and then were transported to a pvp shard.

So they won't be there to defend. Who, exactly, then, other than the NPC's will be there to "do something about it"?

Indeed, I have seen flagged alliance players in Horde towns. My understandinbg is I cannot flag, because of the way warmode works.

Warmode just puts you on a separate shard where everyone is flagged all the time.

Normal servers let you decide when and if you want to flag.

If you see someone killing quest-givers or anything along those lines you can, if you want to, flag yourself and attack them back.

If you've always played on a PvE server and you never turn on warmode, absolutely nothing has changed for you with start of the warmode option.
Like the buzzing you hear near a large bee hive, this is a gentle nudge to remind you that that is the opposite factions hive, and you should keep away or get stung. You being flagged is not also being put into a warmode, or even a pvp phase though, you are simply good old fashioned pvp flagged with no additional bonus. If you want to drop the flag faster, and are 120, use your flight master whistle, and take a short hop on the bird. Then just mark that area of the map as a do not enter zone.
I really was hoping that WM would be the end of this nonsense. Shoulda been like Dalaran - any city or town you enter that isn't your faction's territory would just get you ported out, and trying to attack a faction NPC should have given a message along the lines of "You must enable war mode to attack that target."

Certain quests would be exempted obviously, but all flagging should be moved into WM. It's nothing less than a nuisance.
10/13/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Rastlin

Just make the Quest Giver npcs immune to attack, and let people who don't opt in for PVP stay out of PVP.

If PVP is now supposed to be optional, make it 100 % optional. Not this yes/no/maybe mess it seems to be now...
10/13/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Grumbles

There's one WQ in Zuldazar... right next to a Dark Iron outpost.

And the two Golem Guards will attack the enemy NPC mobs, including chasing after them into the fray... where Horde players are questing.

Somebody dragged them into my friend's AOE, he died.
I managed to hold the Guards off with my Voidwalker while he flew back to DMF, came back, and he completed the WQ.
Simpler explanation:

Warmode ON - pvp anytime, everywhere, all the time. Can only be turned on/off in Stormwind/Orgrimmar.

Warmode OFF - pvp only when self flagged or near enemy areas. Otherwise, can't attack or be attacked. Turned on/off anywhere after 5min timer.