PVP Flagging: Confused!

General Discussion
10/13/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Sinsdruid
Simpler explanation:

Warmode ON - pvp anytime, everywhere, all the time. Can only be turned on/off in Stormwind/Orgrimmar.

Warmode OFF - pvp only when self flagged or near enemy areas. Otherwise, can't attack or be attacked. Turned on/off anywhere after 5min timer.

But if you self flag shouldn't you be transported immediately to a pvp shard?
10/13/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Nopainnogain
Yeah that's annoying when you accidentally stumble into an opposing faction town and are flagged for 5 minutes for some odd reason only known to Blizzard staff and maybe Medivh. Why the heck would this happen when we didn't attack anything or do anything naughty?

I've never (knock on wood) been killed by another player the few times that this has happened to me

Honestly it is a valid complaint

Thank You.

I wasn't actually complaining but it is very very odd the way they have set this up.
10/13/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Grumbles
My problem with this for this xpac is some of the world quests are right along patrol paths for guards (on both sides) making it a pain in the butt. If they could fix the pathing at least part of this issue would go away.

(puts out cookies for all to enjoy)

Thanks for the cookies!

I often get flagged after I come out of a pet battle.

How does that make any sense?
Nothing has changed.

Warmode is just a way to shard PVE and PVP servers, serverwide.

PVE servers, you can still flag PVP. Just like before warmode.

Thinks like hearthing/flight whistle should instantly remove the 5 min pvp timer.
10/14/2018 05:28 AMPosted by Rastlin
10/13/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Grumbles
My problem with this for this xpac is some of the world quests are right along patrol paths for guards (on both sides) making it a pain in the butt. If they could fix the pathing at least part of this issue would go away.

(puts out cookies for all to enjoy)

Thanks for the cookies!

I often get flagged after I come out of a pet battle.

How does that make any sense?

Which pet battle?
I wouldn't care myself, except in BfA it does seem the areas where faction npcs are is not always well marked, and are very often way, way too close to paths that someone has to take to get to a world quest. This occurs on both continents, and for both factions.

I have simply gotten too close to horde npcs on zandalar, just trying to get to a quest, and I have accidently run right into a horde npc on Kul Tiras because he was literally RIGHT beside the road right before a bridge you need to cross. There is no reason for a random horde npc to be RIGHT beside any of our roads in Kul Tiras, and the same goes for Zandalar and Alliance npcs.

If this is not Blizzard trying to "trick" people into flagging themselves, then they need to mark the areas much more clearly, and put them further away from, the often times, only access to a world quest. The vague marking of upcoming faction npcs, or the complete lack of marking of them does seem suspiciously like Blizzard is trying to trick people.
Basically PvP on every server still operates exactly as it did on PvE servers before Warmode. Warmode is just another layer added on top that shunts you to a Warmode shard and gets rid of the unflag 5 minute cooldown (locking you in PvP until Warmode is turned off).

If while not in Warmode your PvP flag is turned on manually, enter a hostile zone, or get attacked by a flagged NPC you are not shunted to a Warmode shard nor do you gain the extra benefits Warmode gives you.
The pet battle involving 3 bees is in the path of Alliance guards. (Near Mudfisher Cove.) If you keep an eye on the guards while you're battling, you'll be fine. When the guards approach you, they only go a few feet beyond the pet battle area, then turn around. Wait for them to go back up the path. It's awhile before they return. The 2nd and 3rd pets die after one round, so be sure you're not using a 3 round ability, or you'll have no control over when the battle ends.
There is never any indication where these "no go" zones are. There never has been. That's because the devs want people to get inadvertently flagged and ganked while trying to quest in zones where there are autoflag sections they could mark on the map but have chosen not to.

Because gankers are the devs' favorite demographic. As a reward for being really piss-poor players but gankers! they get accomodations that will supply them with unsuspecting players who had no intention of getting flagged and would have avoided the area if they had not been tricked into it.
10/14/2018 05:53 AMPosted by Felisferalis
There is never any indication where these "no go" zones are. There never has been. That's because the devs want people to get inadvertently flagged and ganked while trying to quest in zones where there are autoflag sections they could mark on the map but have chosen not to.

Because gankers are the devs' favorite demographic. As a reward for being really piss-poor players but gankers! they get accomodations that will supply them with unsuspecting players who had no intention of getting flagged and would have avoided the area if they had not been tricked into it.

But the thing is, I have not, never once, been ganked when randomly flagged.

I think this is because anyone who actually wants to pvp is now in one of those shards.

And also, as far as I know, there is no longer a warning "such and such location is under attack". Do they have this function anymore?

I suppose someone could flag and just wait around for someone to randomly flag but that, in my experience, does not happen. Ever.

If you are going to have pvp flagging on pve servers, you should be transported to where there is actually pvp.

Otherwise, shut it off.
10/14/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Pheonia
The pet battle involving 3 bees is in the path of Alliance guards. (Near Mudfisher Cove.) If you keep an eye on the guards while you're battling, you'll be fine. When the guards approach you, they only go a few feet beyond the pet battle area, then turn around. Wait for them to go back up the path. It's awhile before they return. The 2nd and 3rd pets die after one round, so be sure you're not using a 3 round ability, or you'll have no control over when the battle ends.

Yes, it's that one.
10/13/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Keleni
Think about it. You're still in enemy territory. You don't want the opposing faction to just walk right on into your town. Especially if you're at war.

No you don't get sharded into warmode. You're still in the same zone as before.

Alliance not flagged just means that they aren't flagged. I'm not sure if it still works,(it did a few weeks ago) but you can still switch to pvp mode via your portrait. Or could.

It's just not like it used to be. On a pvp server you could be attacked at any time.
Now it's if you are near or in the opposite factions territory.

I've at times been attacked by guards and sometimes not. I just keep going and hope they don't decide to start chasing me afterwards.

So flagged? not warmode? so like, the ONLY other flagged people you might see, are opposite faction members who stumbled into a town and got flagged by accident as well?

This is the stupidest design in an expac full of stupid designs, well done blizz, just when i think you cant slip up anymore, you do stuff like this that makes absolutely no sense.

But that doesn't happen, there is no one in the pve shards who is flagged, unless they too accidentally walked into an opposite factions town by accident.

You literally cant pvp grief anymore with the introduction of warmode, you are either warmode on, and prepared to fight anytime, or you are not.

This flagging system for towns on non warmode shards is about as stupid as it gets. Like the OP said, has anyone ever actually engaged in pvp after being accidentally flagged in BFA, nope, because all the pvpers are in warmode.

DOIIIIIIII DERRRRR HURRR BLIZZZZTARDDDD.

sorry, i couldn't help myself, with all the stupid !@#$ blizz has done this xpac, i figured they may understand if i speak to them like a moron.
I don't think I've ever been attacked by Alliance while flagged on a PVE server (or PVE mode) I just ignore the flag and go on doing whatever I was doing.

The thing is. most other players in PVE mode are there because they don't care for PVP, and even if they see your name tag is yellow (attackable), they'd have to take the extra action of flagging themselves, which they won't bother to do 99% of the time.
10/13/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Keleni
You aren't being forced. No more than it used to be on normal servers. That hasn't changed. Only thing changed was pvp servers.

Kinda doesn't make sense to let the opposite faction just wander in and out of your cities with no consequence. We're still at war.

I do think they need to make the Alliance/Horde flags bigger. Kinda hard at times to see them.

I would agree with you except the big problem with self flagging. So unless you hit that astronomical chance that a person was flagged at the same time in the same area, the auto flag is completely pointless. Even if you did run back to Orgimmar, flag and come back to kill them, you probably would be sharded into a different phase completely, if the person is even still flagged or in the area at all.

Also, you cant just wander into enemy territory willy nilly anyways, the guards attack on sight so unless you are a master at skirting and avoidance you will be harassed by the guards relentlessly. Not exactly free reign.

And I called it astronomical because in the two months Ive been playing this expansion Ive only seen ONE person who was flagged when I got accidentally flagged, and they didnt even bother to attack me. In fact they bailed after, I assume, they completed the WQ.

So in the end, the auto-flagging is redundant and pointless.
10/13/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Rastlin
This is not a complaint. I am honestly confused.

I play in pve mode, having never been interested in the War Mode thing. But when I am doing world quests, occasionally I will stumble into or pass by an Alliance town, flight path or camp. Sometimes I am attacked by guards, sometimes not.

But I flag PvP immediately.

This is even if I do not attack or otherwise bother the guards or NPC's.

After passing through the town, I get the old "5 minute timer" on the pvp flag that will go away if I wait out the five minutes or immediately if I hop on a flight path.

What, exactly, is going on:

1) Am I in War Mode, for the 5 minutes?

2) Do I get "sharded" to a pvp shard for the five minutes?

3) If I do not get sharded to the pvp shard what is the point of flagging me?

I have never once seen an alliance player flagged pvp during my five minutes. Not once. Again, I play on a pve server. So what is the point? Why flag me pvp if I am not transported to a pvp shard, if that's how pvp is handled these days .

Again, this is not really a complaint.

Personally, I think if I do not take any hostile action I should not be flagged. I mean, literally, you are just walking down a road and boom, out of the blue, you get flagged.

Heck, I was even flagged once right after finishing a pet battle.

Where is the logic in this?

I just do not understand this flagging on a pve server or shard and what exactly it means. Did the developers think this through? Am I missing something?

If anyone could explain what is going on, I would appreciate it.

This is how PVE servers have always worked. If you agro opposite faction mobs (either by attacking them or getting too close to them), you will be flagged. If you enter opposite faction controlled territory you will flag.

If you didn't flag in these scenarios, you could just go into Stormwind or Orgrimmar and /dance and that would be dumb. You could get an entire raid or 3 ready, walk into the opposite faction leader's home. Do a countdown and then all attack the leader.
10/14/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Yasudra
10/13/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Rastlin
This is not a complaint. I am honestly confused.

I play in pve mode, having never been interested in the War Mode thing. But when I am doing world quests, occasionally I will stumble into or pass by an Alliance town, flight path or camp. Sometimes I am attacked by guards, sometimes not.

But I flag PvP immediately.

This is even if I do not attack or otherwise bother the guards or NPC's.

After passing through the town, I get the old "5 minute timer" on the pvp flag that will go away if I wait out the five minutes or immediately if I hop on a flight path.

What, exactly, is going on:

1) Am I in War Mode, for the 5 minutes?

2) Do I get "sharded" to a pvp shard for the five minutes?

3) If I do not get sharded to the pvp shard what is the point of flagging me?

I have never once seen an alliance player flagged pvp during my five minutes. Not once. Again, I play on a pve server. So what is the point? Why flag me pvp if I am not transported to a pvp shard, if that's how pvp is handled these days .

Again, this is not really a complaint.

Personally, I think if I do not take any hostile action I should not be flagged. I mean, literally, you are just walking down a road and boom, out of the blue, you get flagged.

Heck, I was even flagged once right after finishing a pet battle.

Where is the logic in this?

I just do not understand this flagging on a pve server or shard and what exactly it means. Did the developers think this through? Am I missing something?

If anyone could explain what is going on, I would appreciate it.

This is how PVE servers have always worked. If you agro opposite faction mobs (either by attacking them or getting too close to them), you will be flagged. If you enter opposite faction controlled territory you will flag.

If you didn't flag in these scenarios, you could just go into Stormwind or Orgrimmar and /dance and that would be dumb. You could get an entire raid or 3 ready, walk into the opposite faction leader's home. Do a countdown and then all attack the leader.

Understood.

But there is a difference between "going into Stormwind and /dance" and getting auto flagged coming out of a pet battle or while heading to a world quest.

The real oddity as I see it is that the flagging has no consequence. Because all the pvp'er's are now in their own shard, getting auto flagged means there are no flagged enemy faction members around.

So what's the point?

The guards already attack you. It would seem that, if you did nothing hostile, not flagging you or giving you, say, ten seconds, would be the logical approach.
10/14/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Canopia
10/13/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Keleni
You aren't being forced. No more than it used to be on normal servers. That hasn't changed. Only thing changed was pvp servers.

Kinda doesn't make sense to let the opposite faction just wander in and out of your cities with no consequence. We're still at war.

I do think they need to make the Alliance/Horde flags bigger. Kinda hard at times to see them.

I would agree with you except the big problem with self flagging. So unless you hit that astronomical chance that a person was flagged at the same time in the same area, the auto flag is completely pointless. Even if you did run back to Orgimmar, flag and come back to kill them, you probably would be sharded into a different phase completely, if the person is even still flagged or in the area at all.

Also, you cant just wander into enemy territory willy nilly anyways, the guards attack on sight so unless you are a master at skirting and avoidance you will be harassed by the guards relentlessly. Not exactly free reign.

And I called it astronomical because in the two months Ive been playing this expansion Ive only seen ONE person who was flagged when I got accidentally flagged, and they didnt even bother to attack me. In fact they bailed after, I assume, they completed the WQ.

So in the end, the auto-flagging is redundant and pointless.

I also have never seen it.

It seems like something not well thought out and yet another flaw in this expansion.
10/14/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Krooger

But that doesn't happen, there is no one in the pve shards who is flagged, unless they too accidentally walked into an opposite factions town by accident.

You literally cant pvp grief anymore with the introduction of warmode, you are either warmode on, and prepared to fight anytime, or you are not.

This flagging system for towns on non warmode shards is about as stupid as it gets. Like the OP said, has anyone ever actually engaged in pvp after being accidentally flagged in BFA, nope, because all the pvpers are in warmode.

DOIIIIIIII DERRRRR HURRR BLIZZZZTARDDDD.

sorry, i couldn't help myself, with all the stupid !@#$ blizz has done this xpac, i figured they may understand if i speak to them like a moron.

Well Put!

Has anyone actually engaged in pvp from this random, accidental flagging?

No...or a very, very small number.

So why?
They still need areas where you can get PVP flagged even without Warmode On or you could be an invincible force bringing down cities full of NPCs but couldn't be countered by enemy players (or in some cases, guards).