Vanilla will succeed + overtake retail

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 11 Next
Private Servers were full because they were free.

They also had a LOT of tweaks to make things easier for players.

Like, I don't think people realize just how much private servers changed about vanilla to make quality of life easier on vanilla.

You guys are in for a rude awakening when Classic comes out.
10/17/2018 03:54 AMPosted by Maizou
Private Servers were full because they were free.

They also had a LOT of tweaks to make things easier for players.

Like, I don't think people realize just how much private servers changed about vanilla to make quality of life easier on vanilla.

You guys are in for a rude awakening when Classic comes out.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The biggest vanilla private servers never made any QoL changes to the game.

Most people also were playing it because they love vanilla, not because it was free. This was shown to be the case based on surveys taken, and the fact that private servers for the current game are not popular at all.

It's obvious you're the one who's in the for rude awakening.
10/17/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Notagin
10/17/2018 03:28 AMPosted by Lovefool
I doubt it. A lot of people won't give up the creature comforts.

Flying for example.

Classic/vanilla players will be the Amish of WoW. lol

Yeah, that's about right. Those of us that played back then will have no problem roughing it.

Others? Not so much.
10/16/2018 07:01 PMPosted by Chopspin
I know this is illegal to say but after the announcement I tested on some p servers to get a feel and honestly I friggin loved the feel of classic.

The entire world was like a raid, everything is so much more engaging, you need to focus on what your are doing and plan, the second your brain goes into auto pilot mode... You are dead!!!

I personally found it much more engaging, just questing almost gives the same feeling of being in a guild raid run.

All you people saying vanilla will fail are in for a big surprise, IT IS ADDICTIVE!!!
THERE IS A REASON VANILLA WOW HAD 10 MILLION ADDICTED SUBSCRIBERS.

I actually believe classic will make retail a better game overall, when people play the vanilla design and end up getting hooked on real character progression and a real MMO experience they will love it and want blizzard to make retail more like it.

Also vanilla will only grow its player base.
What do you think players are going to do during the 6 month content draught at the end of every xpac??
That's right, their bored asses will be logging over to vanilla, they will end up getting into it, and they will end up loving it.
Each and every last one of you will end up playing during this time. :)

Your all thinking in the wrong mode, no one cares that it takes forever to hit max and clear raids, that's not what vanilla is about.

No one cares about the imperfections, we understand vanilla was the foundation of the game and as such it wasn't perfect either.

Also the idea there isn't enough time in 2018 to play vanilla is so wrong, once vanilla is out, you have the rest of your life to level, it's not like they will destroy your toon after two years, vanilla will be eternal, ding 60 in 3 months or 3 years, will not make a difference, play at your own pace, take 6 months off, your vanilla toon will always be there ready.

Peace out vanilla haters, I'll see you in azeroth eventually where I'll say I told ya so.

Go spam your own section of the forum with this. They are already making retail too much like classic, if they make it anymore if would be pointless to have two versions. Guess which one will lose out.
Classic was excellent for that time but MMOs, playstyles, times have evolved way past the EQ era.

Classic will be a Fad for a short time but will be short lived. Just going by the forum posts expect
to get gear maybe a few pieces a month for 40 man
the logisitics of 40 man raiding
poor itemization
rubbish unengaging trees full of passives
locked to roles for classes - e.g only warriors could effectively tank
Highly unbalanced PVP with ridiculously long hidden pvp rank system
No cross realm so queues were stupidly long
Faction imbalance with alliance being superior racials due to Humans
Gold is hard to come by - let alone trying to buy epic ground speed
Ridiculous spell rankings and buying spells - (some you can't even afford till later)
Dungeons take 4x as long due to having to actually run to the entrance.(i can't remember if summon stones were in this patch)
Ability prune?!? You think you don't have abilities now play vanilla and see the true prune

Honestly blizz shouldn't have spent resources on updating this for the 1% and put the funding in to BFA instead.
10/17/2018 04:03 AMPosted by Lovefool
Yeah, that's about right. Those of us that played back then will have no problem roughing it.

I joined back in Ye Olde AQ Patche, I'll be damned if I'm wasting my time on a vanilla server actually trying to progress. Sure, I'll grab a few levels and run around looking at things that changed, but I'm not actually playing that dreck.
Vanilla will be a smash hit with the not inconsiderable aging population of WoW.

It won't be a hit with entitled crybabies who want rewards handed to them, who are too impatient to appreciate the journey compared to the destination and who are too socially impaired to form cohesive groups and guilds in order to clear dungeons.

What Vanilla WoW is not about is the gimme, gimme, gimme demographic. And good riddance. This demographic will be dismayed to discover that Vanilla prospers because of the changes they wanted. And the best part of all is that a lot of them will still sub to try out Vanilla due to curiosity.
Sorry OP you are wrong. I'm not explaining why yet again... But essentially it will do well at first then quickly become niche for players like you, and that's not a bad thing, because at the end of the day what actually made early WoW special was the community.
The entire world was like a raid, everything is so much more engaging, you need to focus on what your are doing and plan, the second your brain goes into auto pilot mode... You are dead!!!

This sounds like something people will really enjoy. I mean nobody has complained about MOBS being harder to kill, at all.
10/16/2018 07:26 PMPosted by Chopspin
10/16/2018 07:10 PMPosted by Wariya

Well ,you are already wrong and addiction isn't a good thing.

Ill see you in Azeroth too but don't come back here saying" This ain't classic blizzard ruined it" when your experience is different than what you expected :)

If blizzard doesn't stay true to classic people will just unsub and go back to the p servers.
We are coming back on the good faith blizzard will stay true to their word.
If vanilla isn't vanilla the only loss will be blizzards.

First off it's 'Classic' not Vanilla. Vanilla can never be a thing again.

Classic is a niche market and as you can see from BFA tougher content isn't for everyone. Then on top of that vanilla has many problems people hate now but more extreme.

Like RNG.
10/17/2018 04:16 AMPosted by Normercy

This sounds like something people will really enjoy. I mean nobody has complained about MOBS being harder to kill, at all.

People did enjoy it though. Phone gamers QQ that a mob takes 8 seconds to kill instead of 6.
10/17/2018 01:05 AMPosted by Neocleo
I’ll play for nostalgia but imho Vanilla is going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people. I doubt it will turn out as OP believes but time will tell.
The landscape was just a bit different when vanilla had its 'addictive' subscriber base.

Edit: typo
Old school runescape mops the floor with rs3 so it doesn't sound so mad that classic can smash retail
I doubt it will overtake, but, old school RPG lovers will definitely stay, which is good enough to me, I keep saying it but WoW's biggest mistake is that they added too much QoL improvements at the expense of the sense of community and pretty much every RPG aspect of the game, not to mention completely uncontrollable progression so that people that don't play as much(like me) be on toe with people that try mythic progression everyday of the week.
10/17/2018 03:34 AMPosted by Notagin
10/16/2018 11:24 PMPosted by Chopspin

Weird no one complains about the "here's why vanilla sucks/vanilla will fail!" Threads in GD.

But soon as you post a pro classic thread here everyone tells you gtfo.

Classic/vanilla should have strong numbers for the first 3-6 months if it is released during the live WoW content drought.

Then the classic/vanilla numbers will tail off. The only question is how fast. The truer it is to v1.12, the faster it will tail off.

My wife read in a tweet, from someone at Blizz, I believe, that they expect the classic server population to level off and maintain, at ~35,000 after all the initial shiny wears off.
10/16/2018 07:57 PMPosted by Machomadness
10/16/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Orctang
Classic will be DOA.

Anybody that really believes that is delusional. I personally cant wait to ditch retail.
Old content is old DOA is correct.
10/17/2018 04:16 AMPosted by Normercy

I remember leveling on this rogue in Thelsemar. Kill a trogg. Sit down and eat to restore health. Kill another trogg. Stop to bandage. Rinse, repeat x times. Turn in quest.

I thought that was fun. What was I thinking? lol
10/17/2018 04:22 AMPosted by Nippysmilk
Old school runescape mops the floor with rs3 so it doesn't sound so mad that classic can smash retail
If by smash you mean fuel it with free money then yes if by smash you mean with a hammer then LMFAO yeah right!
I think the success of the project will be determined first by Blizzard's design and maintenance, but more importantly if the community can accept the responsibility of the guild and server structure. I think it failed before which is why you ended up with LFG, but maybe my server was unique and we just had a disproportionate amount of jerks and elitists.
10/16/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Orctang
10/16/2018 07:57 PMPosted by Machomadness

Anybody that really believes that is delusional. I personally cant wait to ditch retail.
Bye Felicia and don't forget to send me your gold since you won't need it anymore.... LOL!

I will be one of MANY Felicias dont kid yourself. You can keep your io, junk islands and non existent community.

Oh, and no I wont need my gold but it will go to my sub fee for classic.