Game systems we've lost so far

General Discussion
Old talent tree system, tier sets, new talents, the glyph system, the artifact weapons, abilities pruned, reforging, valor and justice points to save up and buy meaningful gear and items without the worry of warforge/titanforge rng.

All to be replaced by a boring necklace that has us re earning the same boring traits over and over as we level up said boring necklace on higher ilvl azerite gear.

What else am I missing?
10/17/2018 05:13 AMPosted by Wagnus

What else am I missing?

A gem in your off-hand.
= )
Dreamcast. *RIP*
*raises hand* Is "mayonnaise" a game system?
Professions, a sense of community on each realm due to not having LFG, progression, sockets, belt buckles, leg armor and thread, enchanted gear, gathering buffs like + stam from mining, the ability to control loot distribution in groups...
Way to completely ignore things that were added, like pet battles and Twitter integration
I miss the extra weapons or items we could have. I miss bow on my war. made pulling stuff in world easier.
10/17/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Fixme
I miss the extra weapons or items we could have. I miss bow on my war. made pulling stuff in world easier.

Kinda miss that too. Having to use a cooldown to pull sucks.

Miss my Glyph of Misdirection on my hunters...pets can't keep aggro for crap since its removal.
Personally, I wouldn't count the removal of artifact weapons as a loss. Nor do I miss the old talent trees, which were a confusing mess and, in the end, gave you no more real choices than the present system.

I do miss having a separate slot for a wand, though. And old-style "relics" for DKs. I miss the glyph system. And reforging.
10/17/2018 05:13 AMPosted by Wagnus
What else am I missing?

Time based honor grinding
Walking to dungeons
Long cooldown on the hearthstone
Legendaries

I think you missed a lot of the things that have been added in order to make your point about the necklace.
I miss glyphs.
10/17/2018 06:38 AMPosted by Eyrinjia
I wouldn't count the removal of artifact weapons as a loss
What would you count it as?
This stopped being a mainline RPG game when they started removing stances, weapon specializations, goofing all the stats every other xpac and reducing the trees down to bare bone minimum.

They've stripped away all the RPG elements that we loved and now the game is basically an ARPG with loot that doesn't match.
ARPGs have good loot that keeps you coming back. This game has lazy, copy pasted everything.

Imagine Diablo, but everything takes forever to kill, from common rat to common skeleton and drops are really bad and boring. That's WoW right now.
10/17/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Materials
I wouldn't count the removal of artifact weapons as a loss
What would you count it as?

Technically a gain if you didn't like them.

A negative negative.
Something I noticed when I went to make a Dark Iron is just how long you go between new talents or any perceptible upgrade in power. And in a lot of specs, you do so only to reach a segment of your talent tree that doesn't really do much or change the basic feel of your character.

I'm fairly convinced most of their problems boil down to a boring talent tree. Case in point, some specs feel 100% better to play if they have their Honor talents available. Honestly if they just doubled down on the talent trees and offered more choice, so much would be forgiven and/or overlooked.
I Miss Glyphs. none of my avatars from last few years have a single one
10/17/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Lokath
Way to completely ignore things that were added, like pet battles and Twitter integration

Is that sarcasm? I have no urge to use twitter, let alone in WoW, and the pokemon system is just as niche. The OP is referring to things that affect everyone, not a couple of gimmicks. You could add the selfie thing to that as well, but who cares?

Personally, I wouldn't count the removal of artifact weapons as a loss. Nor do I miss the old talent trees, which were a confusing mess and, in the end, gave you no more real choices than the present system.

I do miss having a separate slot for a wand, though. And old-style "relics" for DKs. I miss the glyph system. And reforging.

I won't argue with people's thoughts on the talent system. I liked it, it was rewarding to get a point every level. I liked working toward something the entire time I leveled. I understand many didn't like them for one reason or another.

Let's not pretend it was confusing at all. You learned the trees as you leveled, because they opened up slowly, and you could figure out what you wanted to do later as you looked ahead, and did some basic math to get how many points you would have at the end (or you could just ask someone). They were extremely easy, and I don't think that was the reason anyone wanted them removed.

I would have liked if they kept the old trees with some alterations. No more stat talents (15% more str), bake them in. It should have been abilities, with different paths to take them in. An example would be howling blast. You could alter the damage done, make the target damage hit multiple targets, so you would hit everyone for the same damage as your main target as long as they were within five yards of your target, make the area wider, make it slow, make it apply frost fever, etc. Those coupled with other talents that altered abilities like frost strike would make for different kinds of builds. You could focus howling blast, and take all of those talents, or take all frost strike talents, or mix them all up for a balanced AoE/ST builds.

The old trees weren't great, but they could have done more than what we have now, it just isn't a fun system, imo. They should have evolved it, not scrapped it.
I could really use that promised Dance Studio right about now.
Actually having to talk to a trainer. I wouldn't count this as a "loss" though, because with the accelerated leveling it's several levels sometimes before I go back to a faction city.

I do miss having convenient profession trainers and crafting facilities in some towns though. I'm doing more travelling to find a forge and/or anvil while leveling up my current alt than I would like.
Tier sets were only good for xmogs. It was stupid having to try and balance set bonuses with getting piece gear that was better.