Choice to deny Zappyboi.

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
10/24/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Darethy
Off the PTR forums.

10/24/2018 03:41 AMPosted by Sutanu
You're told it will begin an alternate quest with different rewards and that Zekhan will remember this, but the quest ends with Sylvanas stating that she sent Lyana off with a squad of rangers to apprehend Saurfang and that it's best you not bloody your hands in the battle. She makes it clear she's about to make a lot of enemies doing this and that it's best you not sully your reputation along with her and that she has plans to deal with Zek'han.

Then she says she never doubted you for a moment and salutes you.

Presumably the two storylines will run along with each other, and will inevitably meet. Blizzard seems to be taking advantage of the fact that there are multiple adventurers. So Saurfang will defeat the Dark Rangers with the Traitor, while Sylvanas and the Loyalist will do something to Zappyboi.

Wait, so they created an entire questline on the fly? Is there hope for the nelves to stop sucking then?
I guess at that point you just return to Sylvanas since that's where the player was going anyway before Zappy's thing. So you'd get back there and have someone reporting that Saurfang got away.

Won't actually change anything in the story, but will be a player choice. Which is good, WoW needs more of those.
If I had to guess, given Christies statements it's likely they began developing the framework for a second quest at a relatively early stage.
This is Blizzard's secret way of polling the player base on which side they prefer, so they can write the ending of this expansion's story accordingly.
Well now.

This just got very interesting. Is this the first sign of the reversal? The signs are growing stronger.
SURE WISH THEY WOULD'VE GIVEN ME A CHOICE IN THE WAR OF THORNS.

SURE WISH THEY WOULD'VE GIVEN ME A CHOICE WHEN WE FISHED DEREK PROUDMOORE UP.
10/24/2018 04:14 AMPosted by Treng
SURE WISH THEY WOULD'VE GIVE ME A CHOICE IN THE WAR OF THORNS.

Kind'a have to agree with this. It's nice that they put in this choice for Sylvanas loyalists, but it feels a little bit like a slap in the face that they didn't think the Honor crowd warranted any choices at all.

At the very least we could have gotten some dialogue to tell Nathanos to go down there and get the corpse himself if he wanted it so bad.

... Would have made more sense too. Between the two of us he doesn't need oxygen to survive anyway.
Glad to see I'm forced to be a Sylvanas lapdog but the opposite can't happen.
10/24/2018 04:20 AMPosted by Kisin
... Would have made more sense too. Between the two of us he doesn't need oxygen to survive anyway.

You know I've been wondering about this. My Forsaken do not need to breathe oxygen, but my Death Knight does, and I remember a Death Knight in Ice Crown saying that there is very little difference between Death Knights and the living. I know Nathanos isn't a Death Knight, but how much closer is he to being a Death Knight than a Forsaken, and how different are Death Knight and Forsaken?

I'm hardline "Screw Saurfang, Victory for Sylvanas" and I agree. You should have gotten that choice. Blizzard had to be shouted into finally letting us do that. Having too different questlines based on your loyalties is a great idea that should have been implemented earlier.
10/24/2018 03:53 AMPosted by Gharion
10/24/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Darethy
Off the PTR forums.

Wait, so they created an entire questline on the fly? Is there hope for the nelves to stop sucking then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
10/24/2018 04:43 AMPosted by Nairdrix

You know I've been wondering about this. My Forsaken do not need to breathe oxygen, but my Death Knight does, and I remember a Death Knight in Ice Crown saying that there is very little difference between Death Knights and the living. I know Nathanos isn't a Death Knight, but how much closer is he to being a Death Knight than a Forsaken, and how different are Death Knight and Forsaken?

DKs should be able to do just about anything a forsaken can- but you cant give people two sets of racials just for the class- its a gameplay thing
My guess is that this will be like Death Knights either killing ALL of the dragons in their Legion Mount Quest, or not.

In other words at the end of the expansion, you'll get a line from Saurfang that's different.

Help Saurfang: "You've stood alongside the True Horde from the start of this trial, Hero. Thanks to your efforts, the Soul of the Horde has been saved this day. Stand tall, stand proud. Paragon, of the Horde!"

Loyal to Sylvanas: "As for you, <name>, I will not condemn one who upheld the Blood Oath. You walked the same path as Nazgrim before you. It nearly cost us everything we held dear. Let the knowledge that your choice nearly destroyed the Horde be your punishment. I suppose we can't rely on you to solve all our problems after all. Now get our of my sight."

Maybe you'll get different titles at the end.

Loyal to Saurfang - Paragon of the Horde
Loyal to Sylvanas - Renegade of the Horde

Kind'a have to agree with this. It's nice that they put in this choice for Sylvanas loyalists, but it feels a little bit like a slap in the face that they didn't think the Honor crowd warranted any choices at all.

At the very least we could have gotten some dialogue to tell Nathanos to go down there and get the corpse himself if he wanted it so bad.

At this point it isnt even Horde bias, its forsaken bias.

They hijacked the horde narrative, get handed stuff on a silver platter, the npcs literally cant die or survive due to plot induced stupidity/are able to solo demigods- i could on, you get where im going with this
I’ll just be sitting here, waiting for my choices to take the two seconds to execute Belmont and Faranell, and later to pursue Natty as is well within our power instead of just letting him go because reasons.

...oh.

Wait.
I guess my Blood Elf had to kill thousand of innocent civilians in Darnassus but if the Sylvanas fanboys throw enough of a !@#$%fit they can choose to not defend Saurfang from an assassination attempt.

Jesus the story of WoW has somehow gotten even worse. Now we have contradictory questlines going on where some players pick one thing and others pick another. It might work if this was an actual RPG and choices matter, but that isn't what WoW is.

Blizzard is actively destroying the canon to appease Sylvanas whiners. The precedent set with this move only has two outcomes: appeasing every storyline that people !@#$% about now or look like complete and total hypocrites by having this be a unique occurrence that never happens again.

I guess we can't choose to not kill thousands of civilians. I guess we can't choose to kill Belmont as Alliance players and instead be forced to leave him alive, trapped in some bull!@#$ "magical stasis" that our new 'mega-powered' Tyrande uses against him in Darkshore, so he can be saved in the warfront.

But damn, god forbid if Forsaken players and Sylvanas fanboys have to side with Saurfang on one occasion.
Because double canon wasn't enough, here's triple canon.

Well I did say Blizzard was going to have to get creative to get out of this one alive...
This is... interesting, I guess, but I don't see the point of it in the long term. The expansion isn't going to have two separate endings.

All this actually does is push our characters' flip until a later point in the story.
Good move.
Choice is Good. This is an unassailably good decision from that standpoint.

But I wholeheartedly believe that the only reason we're getting this choice and that Sylv isn't being treated like a straight up villain and that Blizz had all these interviews saying she wasn't really evil is because she's 'sexy'.