What made you choose alliance or horde?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
Because I like playing the underdogs and Alliance just seem to perfect for my taste.

10/26/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Chaosnachos
Horde, why because forsaken rogues are awesome.

I like the way you think
10/26/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Darkbeard
for those of you who only play/main one faction.

My wife wanted to play a Paladin when we started. They were only available on the Alliance.
I wanted to play on the cool, underdog faction, so naturally I chose Alliance.
10/26/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Naughtymoon
The community, Alliance side is toxic to the extreme and full of crybabies and that's putting it nicely.

You uh, might've found a minority. Horde is the most toxic online community I've ever come across especially to each other. Alliance turned out to be the opposite, with usually better individual players. The kids and crybabies stereotype was never true for the alliance, but was for the horde, because all the kids didn't want to be on the side with other kids, and in turn caused that very thing.
It's less why I play Alliance and more why I don't play Horde.

For one thing, the Horde since vanilla has always had a bunch of goons and villains that have had Scapegoats like Thrall and Cairne to take the blame away. Having them shoved in your face each time you had a complaint about the Horde does not make for pleasant conversations.

The whole "Horde are older/more mature/Alliance are all little kids" meme.

Most of the players who started in Vanilla/BC where around 13-17 with Horde tending to attract the older edgier kids. So even if you are only 1-2 years older then someone, if you're a teenager you are going to tend to want to talk down to them and call them kids to make yourself feel like more of an adult. It's just a common thing at that age. Despite the fact that that you are actually around the same age.

But they just kept doing it... Through BC to Wrath to BfA they kept holding on to the idea that "I'm older so you're a little kid!".

News flash. I'm 30, most of my Alliance friends are around 30. You think you would have grown up by 32.

Plus the Horde Racials/Atmosphere tended to attract the more competitive people and we all know how toxic competitive people can be.

Then there's the public face of the Horde, screaming Lok'tar Ogar, Blood and Thunder, Victory or Death, and Zug Zug in public is not something you want to be associated with.

Basically Horde evolved from an interesting faction to a nerdy Call of Duty player base.
For me it was the legacy of Lordaeron from Warcraft III. The main selling point in WoW was to be able to walk through those locations. So I picked Alliance and came up with head canon that my character was a refugee from Lordaeron, and I wanted to eventually come back there and help clean it from the undead.
Horde are evil and I'm not, so I play Alliance.
When I was younger, I started off as horde in the early days and thought they were the cooler faction out of the two. Because I could be a cool Bull/Minotaur guy. And the Classic/BC races available to the Alliance seemed boring to me.

I quit, then came back a few xpacs later and wanted to try the Alliance side. I ended up liking the Alliance aesthetic better, so I stuck with it. And I could play as a werewolf!
10/26/2018 02:20 PMPosted by Arcreid
Lose a bet to my GF now im stuck with the kids faction.

Ahhh, always the girlfriend's fault. *g* My boyfriend would agree with you. He only ever played Horde until he met me. We still play both factions, but he only plays Alliance to be able to level and play with my main toons.
When I originally started in vanilla I was a night elf hunter (like everybody, I guess). That's because the Night Elves were my favorite faction to play in WCIII (NE > Horde > Alliance > Scourge).

I then found out my best friend (at the time) and his brother and father were playing horde, so I switched over to play with them, and have mained horde since then.

I now also have an alliance alt, which I enjoy, and I have plans to do a Dark Iron and Kul'Tiran, but I'm guildless on a high horde pop server (Hyjal), so it's hard finding a lot of people to do good content with. The server thing is my own fault, I just like all my characters being on the same screen, and my horde was all on Hyjal.
I have found Alliance to be more toxic and full of more immature players personally. And I don't like night elves so. But I do still have and play alliance characters just I main horde
All of my friends played Horde.
Alliance aren't appealing unless you have a very black and white view of the world. The Horde is also super metal and feels way more like a faction filled with diverse races then the Human led Hereditary monarchy the alliance has developed into. The Horde Grants me Freedom while the Alliance would grant me order.
I wanted to play as the good guys so I picked the Horde.
I was Alliance because my friend was Alliance. After he quit, I always waffled between Alliance and Horde toons, until Wrathgate and Cata-Horde, at which point it was clear that the Horde were the baddies.
The community, Alliance side is toxic to the extreme and full of crybabies and that's putting it nicely.

Was getting rather disgruntled towards any Belf players. So I switched to Alliance. Just to get away from any Belfs.
10/26/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Hohee

Was getting rather disgruntled towards any Belf players. So I switched to Alliance. Just to get away from any Belfs.

Funny considering Alliance side has them too now only a cheap yucky off Kmart like version.
10/26/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Pharsalus
<-- Dwarf.

Exactly. I'm in the same boat. Loved dwarves since before WoW was a thing. Years of playing D&D reinforced that love. I get immersed in their zones and cities. Their homes are so cozy. Dwarves have such great personalities as well. I can listen to them talk for hours. Even little things like how they walk and salute you. I get a kick whenever I /salute a guard in IF.

So yea. Alliance had dwarves. It's not only the reason why I main Alliance but the reason I even got WoW in the first place.
Trolls.

Then I discovered the truly amazing RP community on the Horde. I first started on Alliance but I could never go back to the boring/drama that was Alliance RP and the complete inability to separate IC/OOC

Plus, people are just more chill Hordeside for the most part.
10/26/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Naughtymoon
10/26/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Hohee

Funny considering Alliance side has them too now only a cheap yucky off Kmart like version.

It's only natural to be jealous of your Superior's.