Azerite Gear Traits now change with spec

General Discussion
Bellular made this comment, theorizing something we may hear from Blizzard at Blizzcon this week.

If this happens and we only get charged to change traits within each of our specs - I'll be elated.

Furthermore - I'd have a lot of respect and faith in Blizzard to continue efforts in making this game better.

They've already shown some signs of listening to the player base. An announcement like this we be a HUGE next step for them, continuing their efforts in making the game more flexible and fun for the players. All while making azerite gear more convenient to work with and something to be seen as valuable to this expansion rather than an annoyance to deal with.

If this is a change you'd warmly welcome - we should let them know. Post here with what your response would be to hearing the news.
They straight up said this wasn't going to happen already. They said if anything they were going to make it harder to change specs.
I’d warmly welcome it but would also pay everyone at blizzcon to boo them if they announced it there.
10/29/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Kirvin
They straight up said this wasn't going to happen already. They said if anything they were going to make it harder to change specs.

They really are detached from what the player finds fun and makes the most sense.

I've never been a "WoW is dying" doomsayer but you really have to question some of the things they've done and continue to do this expansion.
Given that in the last QA, Ion all but slapped the palm of his hand to drill in to us that AzuRNG gear was set up the way it is specifically to deter us from using one set for all specs. And him wanting, and expecting us to grind out multiple per spec... and that if we don't like it, just pick all the generic traits, that would be one hell of a 180 so quickly.

It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.
I don't think it matters for many classes.

As a mage, most of the time the best traits are the generic cross-class damage proc or Uldir-specific traits. Those work for any spec.

Personally, I think Blizzard should change this. Damage procs do not affect gameplay and are really boring. Also, in my opinion generic traits that work with any spec should ALWAYS be worse than the spec-specific traits.
10/29/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Kirvin

They said they weren't going to allow us to trade azerite pieces. We communicated, they listened, they made a change.

They said you can only acquire azerite gear in x number of ways. We communicated, they listened, they've made some changes regarding how we acquire azerite gear.

If we continue to communicate - changes have and can continue to be made.
Remember back in 2008 when it costed more and more gold each time you wanted to relearn talents?

Changing a character's talent is called respeccing, or is referred to as a respec. Characters can unlearn all of their talents at their respective class trainers, at a cost. Unlearning talents scales up the more times it is done: 1 gold, 5 gold, 10 gold, 15 gold, etc., up to 50 gold.

The cost to unlearn talents will decay over time. This cost will be reduced by a rate of 5 gold per month to a minimum of 10 gold.

Remember when Blizz said they wanted to move away from this system because they didn't think it was good?

Well... Azerite traits are JUST THAT.... Talents.... No real difference in the end. The world goes round and round....
10/29/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Hyperactive
Remember back in 2008 when it costed more and more gold each time you wanted to relearn talents?

Changing a character's talent is called respeccing, or is referred to as a respec. Characters can unlearn all of their talents at their respective class trainers, at a cost. Unlearning talents scales up the more times it is done: 1 gold, 5 gold, 10 gold, 15 gold, etc., up to 50 gold.

The cost to unlearn talents will decay over time. This cost will be reduced by a rate of 5 gold per month to a minimum of 10 gold.

Remember when Blizz said they wanted to move away from this system because they didn't think it was good?

Well... Azerite traits are JUST THAT.... Talents.... No real difference in the end. The world goes round and round....

2008 is about where they need to go back to as far as character choice and customization, for sure. I’d happily be back paying to change a real talent tree than the trash we have now.

There is one difference in azerite. There's no gold cap at all to price. I WISH it capped at 50

2008 is about where they need to go back to as far as character choice and customization, for sure. I’d happily be back paying to change a real talent tree than the trash we have now.

While I also liked the way the old tree looked liked and being able to pick some skills from other specs, ultimately, I still felt like it was all cookie cutter builds the everyone followed to be "competitive" in raids and high rated pvp.

Much like now, it just looks different and we just have less "options that no one chose anyway".

Although I'm not opposed to the old talent tree either way. I'm opposed to severe pruning and trying to make each spec only have 99% of skills usable be from that "school of magic" for example.

<span class="truncated">...</span>

There is one difference in azerite. There's no gold cap at all to price. I WISH it capped at 50

50 gold per respec back in 2008 was no joke tho =P specially when you did it for multiple different activities on a daily basis! Azerite cost goes down significantly faster as well. We also get the chance to have same azerite piece multiple times and not have to change talents as often if you're lucky enough to be able to farm raids every week.
10/29/2018 01:25 PMPosted by Mistwynd

It does matter for the classes who have different roles, not just DPS flavors (obviously).

I could pick a generic +damage ability for my traits but I could pick a much more flavorful/useful/fun ability that's only useful for when I'm playing Arms or Prot, but not both.

I don't normally need more damage when I'm tanking, I need cooler doodads.
I know from my side, the tanking traits are not as good on the dps azurite pieces for me. They have way too many different pieces and the different specs are so spread out it would almost be pointless for this to matter to me if it became true.
Was it not decided that carrying around multiple sets was not fun and removed from the game to allow sets to change with specs? How the hell did we end up back with having to carry around multiple sets which is again, not fun; at all.
10/29/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Taxevasion
Was it not decided that carrying around multiple sets was not fun and removed from the game to allow sets to change with specs? How the hell did we end up back with having to carry around multiple sets which is again, not fun; at all.

Great point. It would be nice if they could do 2 things with gear and the azerite pieces:

Gear - make them accessible like heirloom pieces, so that we don't have 80% of our bags filled with all these sets of armor that optimize each of the specs we play.

Azerite specifically - made an interface that allowed us to easily view and evaluate all of the azerite traits we have available to us across all of our pieces of gear. If you're trying to pick a combination of traits, across the 3 specs, across 3 pieces of gear - it's a huge pain.
I have never been a min/maxer and azerite gear is no different but at the same time, I know that this change would make a lot of people have more fun so I would be extremely happy if the change were made!
Expecting players to farm multiple sets of the same azerite armor for multiple specs is just plain awful.

- P
10/29/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Bogo
10/29/2018 01:25 PMPosted by Mistwynd

It does matter for the classes who have different roles, not just DPS flavors (obviously).

I could pick a generic +damage ability for my traits but I could pick a much more flavorful/useful/fun ability that's only useful for when I'm playing Arms or Prot, but not both.

I don't normally need more damage when I'm tanking, I need cooler doodads.

I've noticed that tanks are both in need, but also can be lacking in damage mitigation. Some minor changes are coming for some classes, but I think azerite traits can help substantially more for both tanks and even healers.

The generic dps traits are good if you're bouncing between 2dps roles - but if you're trying to help others by taking on the tanking role, the generic trait can make your healers life harder and puts the group at risk due to a lack of survivability.

I wonder if there's any comments on acknowledging the difference between roles and specs and if Blizzard would be willing to make it flexible for players willing to help a group/raid out by going healer/tank spec vs players changing between different dps specs?