[Horror] In service of Sylvanas.

Wyrmrest Accord
Death is not pleasant.

She sat quietly, focused on her stitches. One after the other. Cris, then cross. A clean line of small X's was the goal, tightly rendered to prevent snags and easy breakage. But not too tightly. Maintaining the integrity of the material is important.

The gods promise glory after death. Honor. Rest. Perhaps there is truth in that. For the favored.

Cris, then cross. Cris, then cross.

I wouldn't know.

She hadn't always been this patient with stitching. She hadn't always been patient. Or understanding. Years of war and loss had molded her, mandated that she improve herself. So many harsh words that could never be taken back. So many undelivered "I love yous". So many missed goodbyes. Each stitch was her attempt to make up for these. Each stitch a small, silent cry to the dead to be heard.

Cris, then cross.

The living comfort themselves with platitudes of afterlife. Few acknowledge the pain of true death.

Cris, then cross.

If lucky, they lie on a soft bed when the time comes. Surrounded by loved ones. Filled with substances that dull the simple agonies of a body shutting down.

Cris,

So many did not have that privilege.

then cross.

My son did not have that privilege.

She stared in surprise at the sewing needle protruding from her fingertip. It had been some time since she made such a novice mistake. Deliberately calming herself, she retrieved the needle and finished the piece. There were only a few more stitches needed.

When she held up her work for inspection she was satisfied. Sylvanas' battle standard was always striking, but it had a particular edge when embroidered into the burnt flesh of a Kal'dorei.

She gently laid the repaired flesh back onto the torso of the elf and began fixing it in place. She used a series of catch stitches for this. Their zig-zags formed an intricate pattern that - while not as delicate as Elven work - she believed the Night Elf would appreciate.

Once finished, she raised her gaze to meet the strained eyes of the elf. Gertle's lips were oh-so-carefully sewn shut decades ago. She hoped her own eyes conveyed her message.

Welcome, Sister. Death is not pleasant. But some comforts can be found in Undeath.

((Happy Halloween, WrA.))
((I adore this. Beautifully written. Happy Halloween!))
10/31/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Shaysinn
((I adore this. Beautifully written. Happy Halloween!))

((Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I know it's something of a contentious subject, but you know how Muses are. When an idea strikes, you use it or lose it.))
Its very apparent to me that I'm not going to ever be okay with this. I really need to quit.

Sorry. Your writing is nice and doesn't deserve this post honestly but I feel like I need to scream. Seeing victims written as complicit and in support of their abusers is just too freaking triggering for me. I used to enjoy the Forsaken once for at least conveying the opposite message. Victims who tooj their agency back. They did bad things but I felt for them and their "why". Now it all just so completely disgusts me. And Blizz had to add salt to the wound by doing this with my favorite race.

I really. Really need to quit. I have no anchor here anymore.

Good story. Effective. Emotionally impactful.

Sorry.
No need to apologize to me. What you're feeling is real, and I am sorry if I triggered that in you.

I honestly don't know how willing the Night Elves are in the resurrection, per Blizzard's writings. I'm, as a player, assuming Sylvanas gave them a choice.
They are invaded, violated, killed. Same story as the Forsaken in WC3. A story I liked. Key difference now is the message has changed from one of a people reclaiming agency robbed of them, to "You can't violate the willing." And it has let me discover an emotional line I didnt know I possesed. I find this so beyond vile and stomach churning words fail me.

I am avoiding details as I get the impression you are avoiding spoilers. I still regret posting here. I'm still sorry for being disruptive. I'm going to try and stop now.
10/31/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Serevèn
I used to enjoy the Forsaken once for at least conveying the opposite message. Victims who tooj their agency back. They did bad things but I felt for tgem and tgeir "why".

10/31/2018 12:43 PMPosted by Serevèn
They are invaded, violated, killed. Same story as the Forsaken in WC3. A story I liked. Key difference now is the message has changed from one of a people reclaiming agency robbed of them, to "You can't violate the willing."

I must admit that as someone who adores the Forsaken as a race for the same reason... the narrative has conspicuously flipped. There's no doubt that the bitter, resentful victims who once WERE morally grey, have actually become another Scourge. The same sort of atrocities are occuring... and indeed they're only made WORSE by the fact that they're being done in free will. Only the Lich King and a handful of his minions CHOSE to initiate the Scourge. Each Forsaken, in theory, decides to do this individually... and it's a concerning twist.

I don't think I'll ever quit my love of the Forsaken. Or the game (although I've had a bit of a break recently - mainly because I felt like a Skyrim playthrough <.<) but at the end of the day, there's no doubt that the Forsaken and Sylvanas in particular have become the very thing they once hated the most. It intrigues me and worries me at the same time.

Rambling thoughts aside though... While I'm not feeling what you are, at least to the same extent, I'm sorry to hear how upsetting this is for you, Sereven. I really hope that it gets better, for your sake.

Cool story though, OP! It's a nice fit to the current climate, and wasn't too spoilery!
Gd alliance derailing a perfectly good thread.

Great writing op! Definitely refreshing from what we normally get on the forums
The normally loquacious rock star stands by, completely gobsmacked.
Absolutely wonderful.