Zandalari Warlock. Yes or No?

General Discussion
Remove KT and Zandalari monks. Add mages and warlocks.
11/02/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Xyona
you already got paladins and you want more?
also the dinomancer druid forums arent enough?

if that's the case where's void elf paladins at?

since they can be holy priests..

I mean, you have more shaman options than we have for paladin in the first place. And we've waited for another option for paladin since Cataclysm.

Zandalari should be able to be everything but DH/ DK, their civilization is that expansive and ancient you can justify all classes but hero classes.
There's the problem. They need to avoid giving access to ALL vanilla classes to the race. Not a single race in the game can play all 9 vanilla classes (Warrior, Rogue, Paladin, Priest, Warlock, Mage, Hunter, Shaman, Druid). If Zandalari Trolls are given Warlocks. They would need to give up something else to balance out. Zandalari Paladins were refuted for the longest time but suddenly got changed.

Zandalari already can play Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Paladin, Druid, Shaman, Monk, Mage, Priest. Give them warlocks, that gives them 10 classes, and access to ALL VANILLA classes at once. Making them the most flexible race in the game. The Alliance doesn't have access to that.

My proposition: Drop Monk for Warlocks. By removing access to monks, which the Horde already outnumber the Alliance to. (Alliance only has 2 Monk races, all the Horde Allied races can be monks). We'd be closer to par with 3 monks to both once Zandalari and Kul Tirans are added to the game.
11/05/2018 03:13 AMPosted by Aelliciah
There's the problem. They need to avoid giving access to ALL vanilla classes to the race. Not a single race in the game can play all 9 vanilla classes

Seriously though, why does it matter? If the class makes sense for the race, then just let it be. I'd say the same thing for Kul'Tirans and mages, it just makes sense.

I feel that balancing the classes so that everything is "fair" is just a dumb way to appease the people that whine about things that just don't really matter.

Alliance only has 2 Monk races, all the Horde Allied races can be monks

Never understood why they did that. Normal Draenei can be monks, but LF are excluded for some reason.
11/05/2018 03:28 AMPosted by Targosh
There's the problem. They need to avoid giving access to ALL vanilla classes to the race. Not a single race in the game can play all 9 vanilla classes

Seriously though, why does it matter? If the class makes sense for the race, then just let it be. I'd say the same thing for Kul'Tirans and mages, it just makes sense.

I feel that balancing the classes so that everything is "fair" is just a dumb way to appease the people that whine about things that just don't really matter.

Alliance only has 2 Monk races, all the Horde Allied races can be monks

Never understood why they did that. Normal Draenei can be monks, but LF are excluded for some reason.

Lightforged Draenei are a mistake and should've never been an allied race. But Blizzard had to make something up. Making them have the most standard classes. With 3 of them not even benefitting off Light's Reckoning's healing explosion.

Really they should be monks as that gives them access to the leather armor mogs that work for Lightforged Draenei. But alas.

Balance is a key thing here, and there has to be a form of parity between the Alliance and Horde. for the Longest time until Legion. The Alliance had the least amount of class options than the Horde. Gnomes not being hunters being the primary example. And we had to wait for the first patch in Legion to let gnomes become hunters. The Alliance always had one less class than the Horde after the Cataclysm Class additions. Not the catalyst that caused the faction imbalance, but a reason.

Horde: Blood Elf Warrior, Tauren Paladin & Priest, Orc Mage, Troll Druid & Warlock, Undead Hunter (7)
Alliance: Human Hunter, Dwarf Shaman/Warlock/Mage, Night Elf Mage, Gnome Priest (6)

Giving more class options to a single race, regardless of thematic fits determines entirely if there's a form for the Alliance. Had Zandalari Paladins not made the final end, warlocks would've likely remained on the plate. Unless Blizzard is going to give Dark Iron Dwarves Druids, allowing them to be Paladin, Shaman, and Druid like the Zandalari Trolls... they had to mark off one class to keep the scoreboard even.

If you want Zandalari to be warlocks, I believe to keep parity. Removing monk from the class lists will keep them fair and balanced. Even if they can play all vanilla classes.
11/05/2018 03:38 AMPosted by Aelliciah
Really they should be monks as that gives them access to the leather armor mogs that work for Lightforged Draenei. But alas.

Yeah, wow. They don't even have a class that wears leather. That's pretty disappointing actually.

I was actually surprised they couldn't be monks, it was the only class that I thought they'd have that I didn't already have leveled on the Alliance.

Giving more class options to a single race, regardless of thematic fits determines entirely if there's a form for the Alliance.

Not too sure about that. I really don't think anybody is going to switch over because one of the factions has one extra class on the other.

Though it is new for allied races, we do already have two races in the game that can be ten classes, those being Trolls and Dwarves. I don't think one of those classes being Death Knight really makes much of a difference at all.

As for keeping the classes even, all they really need to do is allow Kul'Tirans to be mages. It makes sense and it would make a lot of people happy.
11/04/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Melchazzar

Or keep the lore in mind that Zandalari HATED Blood Magic / Sacrificial Magic.

Zandalari are like Draenei basically.
11/05/2018 03:53 AMPosted by Targosh

Yeah, wow. They don't even have a class that wears leather. That's pretty disappointing actually.

I was actually surprised they couldn't be monks, it was the only class that I thought they'd have that I didn't already have leveled on the Alliance.

Giving more class options to a single race, regardless of thematic fits determines entirely if there's a form for the Alliance.

Not too sure about that. I really don't think anybody is going to switch over because one of the factions has one extra class on the other.

Though it is new for allied races, we do already have two races in the game that can be ten classes, those being Trolls and Dwarves. I don't think one of those classes being Death Knight really makes much of a difference at all.

As for keeping the classes even, all they really need to do is allow Kul'Tirans to be mages. It makes sense and it would make a lot of people happy.

Kul'tiran can be mages i'm pretty sure.
11/02/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Xyona
you already got paladins and you want more?
also the dinomancer druid forums arent enough?

if that's the case where's void elf paladins at?

since they can be holy priests..

Well they're only one of the oldest empires still running functionally with very diverse people, i say give them every class. Troll are like the most diverse race in game when it comes to classes. From cannibal savages to free thinkers and everything inbetween. If their people can fall for a blood "gods" power im sure theyre attracted to fel.
11/05/2018 04:08 AMPosted by Leiquidator
Kul'tiran can be mages i'm pretty sure.

The current plan is for them to not be able to. However The Lost Codex interviewed a couple of devs and one said that he was pushing for it, so it's still a possibility.
As far as I'm concerned, they could have given Zandalari only Paladin and Druid class and I would have been happy.
11/05/2018 04:08 AMPosted by Alicia
11/04/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Melchazzar

Warlocks don't use blood magic. There are always people who seek shortcuts to power. Zandalari are riddled with them. A big chunk of the King's court turned to old gods to gain power. Shows the motivation is there in that culture. That is what Warlocks are, a way to gain power easier than the mage disciplines.

If you want to go the lore route then your same line of reasoning should hit delete on Zandalari monks.
With today being Monday, and Blizzard folks back to work after the BlizzCon weekend, hopefully there will be a clarification post/response on this topic of Kul’Trian mage and Zandalari warlock.

Personally I am all for adding in both classes to the new allied races. Or even as someone else suggested remove monk and add in the other class.

I’ll be watching the forums and Twitter to see if we get a response.

Here’s to hoping blizzard just adds in the extra classes rather than taking away.
Well there goes my expansion hype
11/05/2018 06:44 AMPosted by Melchazzar
11/05/2018 04:08 AMPosted by Alicia

Warlocks don't use blood magic. There are always people who seek shortcuts to power. Zandalari are riddled with them. A big chunk of the King's court turned to old gods to gain power. Shows the motivation is there in that culture. That is what Warlocks are, a way to gain power easier than the mage disciplines.

If you want to go the lore route then your same line of reasoning should hit delete on Zandalari monks.

Never understood the argument that a race can't be Warlocks because their societal norms wouldn't allow it. That's literally the theme of the Warlock. The outcast who goes too far and pushes boundaries beyond what is acceptable.
11/05/2018 10:54 PMPosted by Raegon
11/05/2018 06:44 AMPosted by Melchazzar

Never understood the argument that a race can't be Warlocks because their societal norms wouldn't allow it. That's literally the theme of the Warlock. The outcast who goes too far and pushes boundaries beyond what is acceptable.

Exactly, I could see it with Lightforged Draenei where the race is literally imbued with the light, but I can't think of another race that shouldn't be able to be Warlocks, especially if they have mages. Even the bulk of the Draenei parent race turned to demonic energy.

Warlocks offer a quick way to power through often-self destructive magics. Every race is going to have your odd man out who was spurned because they weren't good enough to stand out through traditional means and turn to the seductive power of fel and shadow.
11/03/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Farajah
The race/class combos are both balanced at 28 right now, just looking at the race lists on the WoW site. To give Zandalari Warlocks, they would need to give Kul'Tirans something, and I doubt they are willing to put in any more work at this junction.

Give Kul Tirans the ability to role mages (there's support for that in Blizzard, but they aren't the one calling the shots, unfortunately) so Zandalari can role Warlocks.
11/02/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Zimos
It's less that it's not enough and more "We are confused, can they be Warlocks or not?".

The class list is out and warlocks are clearly not on it, I don't know what you can possibility be confused about.

You got the paladins you've all be crying endlessly for, move on.
I'd say yes, why not? It doesn't seem 100% out of the question, I generally always support more player choice