Forget SHARDING, I'd rather a QUEUE to PLAY

Classic Discussion
Even if sharding is "only the first 2 weeks" I'd much rather have a Q, like the Demo. I understand that servers can crash and a single zone can't hold infinite ppl. Day one will be HELL on the servers; however if there is a Q of SOME kind, NO sharding is needed. Yes ppl WILL QQ all over the forums but thats not a new concept.

The BIGGEST reason why ppl dont want sharding is cuz it KILLS community. First impressions are important, and that goes for every player on YOUR server. Servers are more than just a group of players it's a FAMILY. Those first 2 weeks WILL be very important for learning/getting to know your new family.

Q'ing up to play (while annoying) is FAR better than sharding. For example: you'll know that the lvl 9 warrior that helped you tank that rare mob when servers went live is in one of three places: In game, Q'ing up to play, or neglecting his WoW character. He WONT be off with some priest doing who knows what, in some other server ;)

But srsly, a queue will significantly increase the chance of players getting to make those amazing (potentially life changing) connections by limiting only YOUR family to play with one another and avoiding "temporary characters" from interfering.

Each server has its OWN flavor. This aspect MUST be upheld to ensure a proper WoW Classic.
You severely underestimate modern gamers if you think they won't be negatively affected by this.

Nowadays when a product is released and it doesn't work, people demand their money back because they can't use what they paid for. You're demanding that the majority of Classic's potential fanbase be rooted out just so you and your small handful of elitists can have your "legal pservers."

You're not getting legal pservers. You're getting WoW: Classic.
I understand both views; sharding kills community, but at the same time would ensure a stable launch for everyone. If it extends past those launch weeks is when I'll bail. That's a red line for me, because it's a necessary (and ONLY) red line evil I'll tolerate temporarily.
I think in the long term, sharding will work out in our favor. Eventually, the hype train will move on and we will be left with a few hardcore players, sharding will not likely be an issue because there will not be as many of us playing at the same time.

Ultimately, this means there will be fewer servers and we will have the same sense of community that Vanilla had. The alternative, would be for there to be server merging, which would have been okay with me as well. They are just using the existing technology they have at hand, rather than reinventing the server architecture.

To be honest though, if they were to turn off sharding, I would not be upset either. I just don't think it is going to have a long lasting impact on us.
The problem is they want to keep the number of servers low, with very high caps. That way when the short term players leave, servers aren't empty. If you keep low number of servers with low caps (removing the need for sharding), you'd end up with some pretty insane queue times.
Literally would rather they stick to a principle such as they originally said.

Authenticity...

And as few changes as possible

That implies only the bare minimum changes, changes that are NECESSARY

Sharding, nor loot trading is necessary. The fact they are allowing both of those shows there is no logical consistency is what they define as necessary and authentic so nothing is really off the table.
If they funneled a Q of players in that slowly rose to w/e pop it would be okay.
I would rather play than sit in a queue.
11/03/2018 08:42 PMPosted by Victorlaw
You severely underestimate modern gamers if you think they won't be negatively affected by this.

Nowadays when a product is released and it doesn't work, people demand their money back because they can't use what they paid for. You're demanding that the majority of Classic's potential fanbase be rooted out just so you and your small handful of elitists can have your "legal pservers."

You're the one doing the underestimating here, assuming that modern gamers are incapable of handling minor inconveniences.

Sure, there will be those that can't, who will immediately cry and demand refunds upon finding out that not everything works and happens exactly as they desire at all times. Those players would have been a very poor fit for Classic anyway.
yall rather wait 2+ hours waiting in a que? ive tried it, didn't care for it.

You're not getting legal pservers. You're getting WoW: Classic.

I understand your point, but when ppl "demand their money" for something as temporary as 2 weeks chances r they either won't, or will buy the game again after 2 weeks anyway.

I'm actually flattered u called me an elitist cuz im far from it. Im NOT completely hard headed, if people cant play after 3 days of not even getting in, there IS some wiggle room there.
11/03/2018 08:51 PMPosted by Starmage
yall rather wait 2+ hours waiting in a que? ive tried it, didn't care for it.

Im all for what the majority wants if it's for the good of the game as a whole. If most ppl would rather sharding then who am i to tell them no. Just stating my opinion.

Good thing we are not modern gamers.

There's always bfa because why wait when you can play with all your convenience.

Either way an easy way to solve the problem is to kick people off of character creation screens that would just afk in it until they get back home or open on servers slowly per hour.
Why bother making ten servers if everybody relocates to two of them: one for Alliance and one for Horde?
Queues kill communities too. It was lovely not being able to play with my friends when I got home from school because I had to sit in an hour long queue while they were already online.
Preach talking about it feels good to see so many people ... and then he gets sharded lol

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstemiousRamshackleDogeBloodTrail
As some one who experienced queue times, congestion and server crashes/lag in vanilla, in overpopulated areas (and I specifically chose to play on a low pop server that turned high pop).

I would like 1 server to be shard free and everyone that thinks sharding at launch is a bad idea I want them locked on that server. While everyone else can play on the sharding enabled servers for a couple weeks until things settle in which case sharding can be throttled or completely removed.
11/03/2018 09:11 PMPosted by Trigreen

Good thing we are not modern gamers.

There's always bfa because why wait when you can play with all your convenience.

Either way an easy way to solve the problem is to kick people off of character creation screens that would just afk in it until they get back home or open on servers slowly per hour.

it does kick them off, this is the modern client, 1 hour of inactivity = disconnect
https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualComfortableStrawberryKappa

Watch as this guy goes from being happy in classic to sad because of sharding, this is a really good example
11/03/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Serise
https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualComfortableStrawberryKappa

Watch as this guy goes from being happy in classic to sad because of sharding, this is a really good example

still not comfirmed though, it's just an option they are considering. they only did it for the demo because they don't have enough servers for everyone, and as you may have saw, everyone flocked to the highest pop server