Floating Damage Numbers

Classic Discussion
Hopefully I'm not the only one that noticed this.

The numbers look smaller and less significant like they do in retail WoW, whereas in Vanilla they were larger and more flashy, especially when you got a crit.

Yes, this might sound nitpicky. I'm fine with that. Wondering if we'll see the old-style floating damage numbers back. If not, hopefully there will be an addon for that.
This is one of those things I think they are definitely going to fix and get right. If not, hopefully they are lurking on these threads and see it.
11/04/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Lagspike
they are definitely going to fix and get right

Why would they?
This is one of those things I think they are definitely going to fix and get right. If not, hopefully they are lurking on these threads and see it.

Hopefully. From what they showed in Blizzcon they really are trying to make the gameplay and art immersive.

Would be really disappointed if they didn't at least address this.
11/04/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Xjum
they are definitely going to fix and get right

Why would they?

Have you seen the Restoring History panel from Blizzcon? The art team is extremely dedicated to making everything look as it did in the past. And if there is one group at Blizzard that has NEVER disappointed me in any game franchise, its their art team.
11/04/2018 01:26 PMPosted by Lagspike
11/04/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Xjum
Why would they?

Have you seen the Restoring History panel from Blizzcon? The art team is extremely dedicated to making everything look as it did in the past. And if there is one group at Blizzard that has NEVER disappointed me in any game franchise, its their art team.

Yep. I really enjoyed that part of the panel. A lot of people here think Blizz isn't really trying with Classic but watching that really showed me that at least part of the team is.
11/04/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Winkypants
11/04/2018 01:26 PMPosted by Lagspike

Yep. I really enjoyed that part of the panel. A lot of people here think Blizz isn't really trying with Classic but watching that really showed me that at least part of the team is.

Don't forget the music team. They and the art team have been carrying the systems team for years................
11/04/2018 02:05 PMPosted by Thundathys
11/04/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Winkypants

Don't forget the music team. They and the art team have been carrying the systems team for years................

I lump art and music into one category, but you are absolutely right. Sometimes I just alt tab in the Boralus inn just to listen to the inn music while doing other things.
After MANY years of playing retail, I will always remember the difference between the big damage numbers in Vanilla and the small ones we have now in retail.
I think they got smaller and smaller because they are meaningless, especially the autoattack ones that are almost invisible.
Also you spam abilities so damn fast that it's almost impossible to read all your damage hits, that's probably why there were shrinked.
This is something I dont really care THAT much about, even if old addons don't work there will probably be an explosion of classic addon creation and you'll be able to install a SCT addon to make it look however you want. But I definitely know what you mean, the small text works for modern wow because there's so many numbers coming out, but when you're only doing an attack or heal every 2 or 3 seconds you want those crits to look beefy
11/04/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Retlan
I think they got smaller and smaller because they are meaningless, especially the autoattack ones that are almost invisible.

11/04/2018 02:32 PMPosted by Sosassy
But I definitely know what you mean, the small text works for modern wow because there's so many numbers coming out, but when you're only doing an attack or heal every 2 or 3 seconds you want those crits to look beefy

Indeed. It does work for modern WoW because of all the passive damage mechanics they have added and emphasis taken off of auto attacks (though they tried to bring that back with BfA it seemed...)

With Vanilla gameplay having the old numbers back is essential for immersion.
Hoping they acknowledge this.
It may seem small, but this is rather important to me. I really enjoyed the old combat text we had before.
It's possible, but they may also leave it up to the addon community to do.
11/05/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Azerothinian
It's possible, but they may also leave it up to the addon community to do.

If there is an addon that accomplishes it I will be content.

Just hoping for some way. I want the numbers to look good and feel good like they did in Vanilla.
They need to make it authentic.

We shouldn't have to "fix" the game with addons in the first place for things that were already in the game.

I specifically used cvar commands in Legion to revert the damage numbers change to the old style. Then they removed the option entirely in BfA.
Yes please address this.

I will not feel right playing my Warrior if I don't see big, fat pixelated crit numbers fighting for room on my screen from MS and Whirlwind.

No, that is not sarcasm.
11/10/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Winkypants
If there is an addon that accomplishes it I will be content.

MSBT or Miks scrolling battle text.