So Blizzard did lie to us afterall...

General Discussion
The original code is there, but it's not reusable.

WoW Classic is essentially a port of vanilla WoW to modern Windows systems.
11/06/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Zaranthosdk
Yet the EMU community runs original WoW versions on their recreated server software. I guess some scattered part time coders are more proficient than paid developers. It's not that it can't be done, it's that they chose not to do it that way.

The sketchy janky illegal realms don't have to meet anywhere near the same standard of quality. They can just prop up a monster that stands there as a loot pinata and say 'look, it's a classic realm'

Let's not pretend, even for one moment just to bash Blizzard, that the amateur level sketchy servers are even in the same league as what an actual commercial Blizzard product needs to be.
11/06/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Leafhoof
Not that it should be any surprise, as even at the times they said it, it was far from believable...

However, Blizzard staff said on a number of occasions that they did not have any of the previous versions of WoW so legacy servers could not exist.

well... https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/11/06/wow-classic-interview-dives-sharding-transmog-wall-jumping-concerns/

For me, it's not the fact that they had the original code and versions all along... it's the fact that blues flat out lied to us all this time.

It boils down to a trust factor... what else have they/are they lying about?

you do realize they have been deconstructing the code that they have to get back to the original dont you. they are removing layers from the current game to get back to classic
11/06/2018 09:29 AMPosted by Necai
11/06/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Leafhoof

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20042885101#post-1

That link doesn't support your claim of them claiming the code is missing or lost. Did you just grab a random thread and figure nobody would check it?

I too remember hearing that statement from Blizzard saying that they couldn't bring back Vanilla because code was lost or something like that, blah blah blah.

I don't feel like spending time hunting down the source link to prove statements were made about a video game. You'll just have to take our word for it. Or! You can do your own research.
11/06/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Melaroi
There is also the problem of the hardware it was designed to run on is obsolete and was auctioned off several years ago.

This is a non-issue. I highly doubt it was targeted to some custom architecture, but rather used off-the-shelf servers at the time. If that statement is true, then any server sold today would be more than capable of running their server code.
You have no clue how computers and programs work, so you turn into a "blizz lied to us" crybaby. I'm not usually one to defend blizz on the forums, but this one is on you, pal.
11/06/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Leafhoof
Not that it should be any surprise

Its not a surprise that some internet shmuck cries moral foul about something he doesn't understand. Nothing to see here folks.
11/06/2018 10:06 AMPosted by Damuzî
<span class="truncated">...</span>

That link doesn't support your claim of them claiming the code is missing or lost. Did you just grab a random thread and figure nobody would check it?

I too remember hearing that statement from Blizzard saying that they couldn't bring back Vanilla because code was lost or something like that, blah blah blah.

I don't feel like spending time hunting down the source link to prove statements were made about a video game. You'll just have to take our word for it. Or! You can do your own research.

I feel pretty sure that there was an interview or a Q&A or something that does back the claim that they did say they didn't have the code anymore... then came the wall of no and everyone parroted the idea that they didn't have it. It was so long ago it's hard to track down though especially since it probably wasnt posted here in text.

It always sounded silly to me that they didn't have it since you always save multiple copies of things as you work on them in case something gets messed up along the way and you need to wipe or restart so to speak, but maybe that's cause I'm paranoid when I back up stuff.

I concur. OP do you expect an original physical Atari game to work on a PC?

Yet the EMU community runs original WoW versions on their recreated server software. I guess some scattered part time coders are more proficient than paid developers. It's not that it can't be done, it's that they chose not to do it that way.

There are pros and cons either way, but most of the classic community really wants the pure as a chaste virgin original game experience. They'll never get it even on pure servers and clients because that time has come and gone, but they'll get it even less on a hacked Legion core that tries to mimic classic.

Yes, you can actually run your original Atari games on your PC.
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/a2600/

No you can't. You can run an emulation of the old Atari game, and that's it. The original Atari game is not compatible with a PC. The word "emulator" in the web address should tell you that.

That is what Blizzard is doing. Making a legal, official emulation of obsolete code so that it can be played on modern systems.
11/06/2018 10:06 AMPosted by Damuzî

You make the claim, you do the research. That's how it works if you want to be believed.
11/06/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Latrans
That is what Blizzard is doing. Making a legal, official emulation of obsolete code so that it can be played on modern systems.

They wouldn't need an emulator. As long as the processor architecture they targeted in the "classic" version is what's running on the servers they'll be using, they can run the exact same code "on the metal".
They thought the source had been overwritten many times because in the early days they just did that. It's kinda like how a lot of classic sports shows no longer exist as tv stations recorded over them. Blizz at the time of wow was still composed of a lot of former college students without experience outside of their own company so their procedures of archiving were not up to snuff.

As they stated at Blizzcon this year, they found the graphic assets on an old tape drive, in a folder on another backup of a later version. It was like treasure hunting and getting a lucky find.

You're not lying if you truly think you don't have it.
It's so painful reading these threads because none of the people arguing back and forth understand the technical aspects of what they're talking about. Doubly so when they made a blog post describing the technical approach they're taking to making Classic. There's no reason to guess.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21881587/dev-watercooler-world-of-warcraft-classic

Tl;Dr it's the modern client using adapted 1.12 data and assets. The biggest hurdle is rearranging the old databases into the modern format so the modern client can read it properly, then ironing out any issues that arise.
They said once that it would be nontrivial to add Eyes of Beast to the game after it was removed because it relied on a lot of other things that had been deleted or changed.

Since then, people have taken this to mean that Blizzard literally doesn't use version control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBy8JDi-OqY&t=42m12s
OP I'll give you a heads up without violating any rules of the forum.

"You may or may not have your account banned for making a thread like this. It's possible someone upstairs doesn't like threads like this. I may or may not know someone who had a permaban from creating almost the exact same thread on Sunday, appealed the ban and won fortunately. But it might be more headache than you're willing to endure".

Possibly

Maybe

Anonymous sources obviously.

Mostly heresay.

Cover your butt.
They make up a lot of stories:

We can't have added backpack slots because of the "spaghetti" code and it would break the game.

There will never be pandas, Stormstout was only an April Fool's joke.

There will never be (allied) sub races.

WoW Classic cannot be made. There is no source code, they didn't keep it. There aren't enough people to play it. Etc.

WoW can't be made to run on multi-thread CPUs.

Never have player housing (garrisons are pretty close enough, though)

Diablo Mobile is just an April Fool's joke (2014 [don't quote me on that, I don't remember the specific year])

I've come to expect one thing of Blizz, every time they say they can't do something, just wait a couple years.
11/06/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Stompypotato
It is a game. Get over it.

Btw, your parents lied to you too, Santa isn’t real.

Wait wait.....

....are you also telling me I didn't get dropped off on my parents doorstep by a giant stork swaddled in a nice white silk cloth?!

WHAT IS THIS?!
11/06/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Jeolene
They make up a lot of stories:

We can't have added backpack slots because of the "spaghetti" code and it would break the game.

There will never be pandas, Stormstout was only an April Fool's joke.

There will never be (allied) sub races.

WoW Classic cannot be made. There is no source code, they didn't keep it. There aren't enough people to play it. Etc.

WoW can't be made to run on multi-thread CPUs.

Never have player housing (garrisons are pretty close enough, though)

Diablo Mobile is just an April Fool's joke (2014 [don't quote me on that, I don't remember the specific year])

I've come to expect one thing of Blizz, every time they say they can't do something, just wait a couple years.
And not a single source listed.