Pop Cap Absolutely Critical!

Classic Discussion
you can have a high cap server with no issues.
Sharding is what divides up those players into smaller virtual worlds.

They only had 20 servers for the demo.
The cap could have been set to 20K with a sharding threshold of 2K.

With sharding your server cap can be as high as the hardware will take.
I want you guys to be able to play by yourself on a low pop server. I just don't want to be there with you.
5k pop cap sounds perfect.
11/07/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Igotsoul
11/07/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Cuina
*: "Finished" is entirely subjective, especially in very long games with no clear cut ending.

"Finishing" the game will take a pretty long time if you are at all interested in max level content.

Some people just played the game to level alts. My Dad is an example. He had at least 3 lv60 toons by the time TBC came out.

Either way there is a lot to do before you could possibly consider the game finished. If you're willing to roll multiple characters the content is practically endless.

You seem to have a bizarre half-understanding of 'subjective'.

"Finished" to some can mean merely getting to level 60.
It can mean beating Naxxaramas.
It can mean exploring the entire map.
It can mean completing every dungeon.
It can mean, 'play until I feel I got my money's worth.'

Yes, to some it does mean, 'play until all classes and races are at endgame.' But that's a far more uncommon 'finished' condition than simply playing until they feel like they're done.

None of these are wrong or indicative. But the end result is the same, a player stops playing and they're no longer contributing to the game world. A player with a relatively easy opinion of 'my money's worth' will leave far sooner than someone trying to cap all classes at 60.
There will probably be some private servers available with unauthentic population caps for those interested in a very different experience from Vanilla.
11/07/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Holylr
Some people want high population cap. Ok, I will tell you what it's like:

Imagine you have quest for the head of Tharil'Zun. You see no mobs spawned, you enter that side and see like 4 groups trying to tap Tharil'Zun as soon as he spawns. :D

You shout - invite me to group guys! They invite you and you start using your aoe abilities quickly trying to tap the "scary elite" as soon as he spawns. :D In the end, one group wins, he dies quickly and you wait for another spawn for 10 more minutes. :D
How many realms are you expecting, I'm guessing at most 8.
11/07/2018 02:40 PMPosted by Tiamucuwitku
11/07/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Holylr
Some people want high population cap. Ok, I will tell you what it's like:

Imagine you have quest for the head of Tharil'Zun. You see no mobs spawned, you enter that side and see like 4 groups trying to tap Tharil'Zun as soon as he spawns. :D

You shout - invite me to group guys! They invite you and you start using your aoe abilities quickly trying to tap the "scary elite" as soon as he spawns. :D In the end, one group wins, he dies quickly and you wait for another spawn for 10 more minutes. :D
How many realms are you expecting, I'm guessing at most 8.
Even if -only- those who signed the Nostalrius petition are going to play Classic, you’d need somewhere between fifty and a hundred servers.
Having the population caps at the original vanilla levels would be fine. Increasing the caps a bit would also be fine. Having a 10,000+ player cap would be unacceptable due to overcrowding in the open world. Literally half the players would be unable to farm any nodes or mobs in the open world. The original game world supports 5k players max. Even at 5000 players things would be quite crowded.
No pop cap. You can choose a low pop realm. And then there will be the high pop realm. Good luck filling your raids!
11/07/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Khorteth
Some of you guys are worried more about "pure vanilla experience" than making the servers fun for people.

Making servers fun is making them authentic, because Bfa isn't fun despite having the stuff you think is fun in it.