Dungeon layout in WoW is boring

General Discussion
Let me start by saying that I dont hate dungeons(mostly because I enjoy doing m+), but 1 of my biggest problems is how lazy and boring the vast majority of their layouts is. Is not just in BFA it has been this way for a while now, but it has gotten worst in the last 3 expansions.

I understand they are made this way so they are easier to navigate, but I think is silly how 90% of them are nothing more than a big hallway, they have gone to far for convenience sake.

The best dungeon in BFA for me is Atal'dazar, is not even a huge maze or anything, but you are able to choice which way to go and it make it less tedious to do multiple times, as you can go a different routes to keep things a bit interesting.

Im not saying they all should be like that, but 9 out of 10 dungeons in BFA you just run in a straight line. Waycrest manor is the one closest to getting it right, you can go multiple paths but it depends on what door is open at the start, but at least is something.
I agree let's go back to old vanilla 5 man style dungeon's
11/08/2018 02:41 AMPosted by Sacarver

UBRS was 10 man though.

I do miss old Scholomance though, my old nub self getting teleported for the first time on the last boss :S. I was a Holy Priest and I didn't realise the mobs in those rooms were so easy XD.
11/08/2018 02:52 AMPosted by Cirramaru

UBRS was 10 man though.

I do miss old Scholomance though, my old nub self getting teleported for the first time on the last boss :S. I was a Holy Priest and I didn't realise the mobs in those rooms were so easy XD.

Tbh I was more so thinking LBRS and ST. I personally loved ST back in the day, so much that I remember in TBC making different draenei alts just so I could get into ST again with a group.
Ok how we have a Dungeon in the dark, FULL OF TRAP and you can't see, they give you light helm but leave it on and Auto kill mob kill you group like that whale shark

also there need be more CC like you can't handle a CCer,healer, Range meele and Tank mob that like counter gourp every 5 feet

Oh we even throll in india jones rock to the end as you leave so that feel more epic also ther be spike falls, and you won't get bonus loot if you fail on the exit run.

oh and all bosses are super elite hard and CC, Stuns like carzy have fun!
11/08/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Dartakan
Let me start by saying that I dont hate dungeons(mostly because I enjoy doing m+), but 1 of my biggest problems is how lazy and boring the vast majority of their layouts is. Is not just in BFA it has been this way for a while now, but it has gotten worst in the last 3 expansions.

I understand they are made this way so they are easier to navigate, but I think is silly how 90% of them are nothing more than a big hallway, they have gone to far for convenience sake.

The best dungeon in BFA for me is Atal'dazar, is not even a huge maze or anything, but you are able to choice which way to go and it make it less tedious to do multiple times, as you can go a different routes to keep things a bit interesting.

Im not saying they all should be like that, but 9 out of 10 dungeons in BFA you just run in a straight line. Waycrest manor is the one closest to getting it right, you can go multiple paths but it depends on what door is open at the start, but at least is something.

Dungeons are boring I agree. However, making them into a maze isn't all that fun. I did Waycrest manor on beta when there was no map and no one knowing which way to go is just a waste of time.
11/08/2018 03:03 AMPosted by Amine
11/08/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Dartakan

Dungeons are boring I agree. However, making them into a maze isn't all that fun. I did Waycrest manor on beta when there was no map and no one knowing which way to go is just a waste of time.
Ture I hate getting lost in there Like "Umm where I go now? GD I AM LOST AGAIN!!!

Before some one show me the way and we move on.
I really do think it is a shame that they are the way the are, half of what makes a dungeon memorable is their layout(the ohter half the mobs or traps), Im saying this from playing D&D or other RPG. Imagine how boring it would be, if the dungeons on those were just a hallway.

I dont understand how this isnt a bigger issue for more people, I still remember a lot of the dungeons from Vanilla, but cant really say the same for a MoP or WoD they all just a big blur.

I understand that, I dont want them to go all the way back to Vanilla design, but there should be a compromise. Atal'dazar is a good example, have multiple paths but they all lead to the end no need to backtrack, dont make them a maze.

They dont need to make them all 1 way or another, just having 3 out of 10 not being a big hallway would be an improvement.
I'd just like to say... becareful what you wish for.

As a dps or healer... you're just hanging back most of the time... tagging along. Mobs tanked, just pew pew or heal the tank.

As the tank, especially when he's new, little questions often pepper his mind. Should I pull this? Can I pull that too? Where's the pat? and other nagging questions.

Even with very generic or linear dungeons, tanking is still very daunting for most people.

A 'different' dungeon could be fun, at the same time it raises the anxiety for new tanks. And the situation couldn't be worse atm with the ratio of tank/heal vs dps looking for groups.

Not saying it's a bad idea, but just pointing out, slight variations have disproportionate consequences.
I really do think is a shame that they are the way the are, half of what makes a dungeon memorable is their layout(the ohter half the mobs or traps), Im saying this from playing D&D or other RPG. Imagine how boring it would be, if the dungeon in those were just a hallway.

I dont understand how this isnt a bigger issue for more people, I still remember a lot of the dungeons from Vanilla, but cant really say the same for a MoP or WoD they all just a big blur.

I understand that, I dont want them to go all the way back to Vanilla design, but there should be a compromise. Atal'dazar is a good example, have multiple paths but you end up at the end of the dungeon, dont make them a maze.

They dont need to make them all 1 way or another, just having 3-4 not being a big hallway would be an improvement.
well mostly use to have 4 wings and it was confuseing what wing go in order for story, Then I remember Scholomance made a Doojin of it and lot of thing.... Happen >n>;;;;

other then that WC? Zzzzz oh snake oh right snakes zzzz Dire what oh Borning Maul or mostly was call Dire Maul nothing change and confuseing mess

Blackrock Depths was another long and confuseing messs

was there any thing good in Blackrock Spire? not really no

Temple of Atal'Hakkar Yeah I do miss more boss, agian Confuseing mess to sort out and deal with Then agian it just Troll and dragons: https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.net/wowpedia/e/ee/STbosses.jpg

So no..... Villinna stuff was snore ville
What is boring is retarded tanks running around every mob to avoid them.
sigh...how is pirate one or waycrest manor etc..a giant hall? in anything, wow needs more open dungeons which reflect real locations. who wants endless twisting turning caves or tunnels.

There was nothing "interesting" about many vanilla dungeons. we are just so used to dungeons now, we have lost interest.
I agree. But we both have to realize that half the player base would REALLY unsub if they had to run the original Sunken Temple. lol
11/08/2018 04:06 AMPosted by Sisterspite
sigh...how is pirate one or waycrest manor etc..a giant hall? in anything, wow needs more open dungeons which reflect real locations. who wants endless twisting turning caves or tunnels.

There was nothing "interesting" about many vanilla dungeons. we are just so used to dungeons now, we have lost interest.
Dungeon = a strong, dark prison or cell, usually underground, as in a medieval castle.

It has never been defined as a giant hall or any kind of open area. And the pathway to and from the dungeon usually consisted of twists and turns, false passageways, fake doorways, (a maze, if you will) to impede access and/or egress except in the company of guards.

Remember ..... getting there is half the fun.
11/08/2018 04:06 AMPosted by Sisterspite

From a gameplay perspective, there is only 1 way to go. More than half of the stuff in Freehold might as well be background.

Waycrest has multiple paths, but you are forced to go 1 way depending on which door is open, so it kinda defeats the purpose of having multiple ways.
Ahhh Old School Wailing Caverns, how I miss you. Even when running a lowbe through it could take over and hour and get lost.

Also old school Scarlet Monestary ones were fun too.
My favorite dungeons are from Wrath and Cata, love Halls of Stone....Grim Batol and Throne of Tides.
Layouts were at their best in Wrath, IMO. Still easy to find your way around (most of them ... Oculus was a nightmare but that was in more than one dimension), but it still felt like you were exploring someplace not meant for you. Great design.
11/08/2018 03:13 AMPosted by Landusk
well mostly use to have 4 wings and it was confuseing what wing go in order for story, Then I remember Scholomance made a Doojin of it and lot of thing.... Happen >n>;;;;

other then that WC? Zzzzz oh snake oh right snakes zzzz Dire what oh Borning Maul or mostly was call Dire Maul nothing change and confuseing mess

Blackrock Depths was another long and confuseing messs

was there any thing good in Blackrock Spire? not really no

Temple of Atal'Hakkar Yeah I do miss more boss, agian Confuseing mess to sort out and deal with Then agian it just Troll and dragons: https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.net/wowpedia/e/ee/STbosses.jpg

So no..... Villinna stuff was snore ville

You're remembering these things a bit differently than I am. BRD was long and confusing, sure, but isn't it supposed to be Shadowforge City? It SHOULD be huge!

Sunken Temple was really cool, imo. Puzzles and holes in the floor and traps and all kinds of stuff.