Was I lied to by a certain PS crowd?

Classic Discussion
Firstly I can't wait for Classic but for a while now I've been watching the top private server streams before they moved to retail after that wave of bans ,and they would always go on about how bad retail players are at the game in PVP/PVE etc.

Just really gathered from watching that they always pushed an agenda against retail players trying to paint them all in a negative light (of course there's below average, average players etc in all versions of the game).

So this was all before the demo came out, so I expected the PS crowd who has been playing the Vanilla version for years to absolutely dumpster on me & the retail crowd playing but geez it was the opposite, these 'top' players from PS were actually just the equivalent of a current WoW keyboard turner, no PVP sense whatsoever it shocked me that they were like the LFR players.

Has the PS community been in their own sheltered bubble?

I want to append I love watching the Classic Cast guys and that 'clique' but I expected them to be the pros and us the noobs once the worlds finally collided. Guess my mindset on it has been shook.

Can't wait for Classic anyways (Y)
Was I lied to by a certain PS crowd?

Undoubtedly. They like to put on that they are the best and only keepers of the "Vanilla spirit" as it were. In reality, they are no better or worse than anyone else.

11/11/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Hannahbakerr
Has the PS community been in their own sheltered bubble?

For the most part, yes. An inaccurate, free to play bubble.

11/11/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Hannahbakerr
Can't wait for Classic anyways

Nor can I... It is going to be epic. Despite private server players joining the player pool.
/popcorn
Esfand and crew were not in top end end guilds on private servers. In fact he ran what was considered at best a midteir guild, struggling through bwl.

Stay safe was in grizzly I believe which was #1/2 but as I rolled zethkur can’t really comment as we didn’t merge until a few months down the road.
11/11/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Azerothinian
Nor can I... It is going to be epic. Despite private server players joining the player pool.

Well there's plenty of good folks from PS so i'm not against it. The agenda pushers are just a different bunch.
The only real advantage they will have is very good knowledge of where to quest , gear and so forth. They will know the dungeons etc. Once everyone catches up ( trust me, it won't take long ) The cream will rise to the top. From both private and retail. I have played with and against them and there is no difference. Good players are good players and bad's , well.
Never buy into any gamer notion which states players can't quickly learn something different or new. Players do it all the time.
It's level 19... it's not going to be exactly deep... the real vanilla challenge is knowing all the ends and outs of the various items and consumables that are used at 60. Along with the various tricks of the trade for each class. You will be in for a rude awakening when you hit max and get slapped around.
Yes. Private server players love to !@#$ on retail players. I play both and it's funny even in top guilds the majority of players are worse than what I would consider an average retail player.
Imagine a world where if you were a good player, you would be good on whichever you played, private server or retail.

A Black Mirror type world.
There are newbs on both sides. But, obviously as a whole you're average pserver player is gonna have a heads and shoulders advantage - starting out.

That being said, pserver players don't have a whole lot to chest beat about with regards to knowing what authentic Vanilla felt like.
Yes.
Doesn't really matter which version of the game... the majority of the people that play aren't really great and I think most of them would admit to that. There are some who are terrible and arrogant though.
I've found it to be the same. Retail players are more skilled mechanically, and the theory crafting is a lot better in retail than it is on private servers for classic content, but the games are very different. Being mechanically skilled isn't really the most important factor to success in vanilla.

I think there's gonna be quite a bit of new innovation, even if it's minor optimizations. Classic WoW will not have the same metagame as 2005 WoW.
I think overall their statements do have some truth, yes their statements are grossly exaggerated.. but there is some truth.

Many retail players never had to go through the learning experience of managing two mobs that can easily kill you on their own(and having to manage this through almost the entire leveling grind), or many other difficulties that don't exist in modern wow.

These difficulties help you learn your class on your own and create your own playstyle- thus making you a better player in the process. Where modern wow is a lot more of 'use this spec hit this button'.
11/11/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Frisker
Many retail players never had to go through the learning experience of managing two mobs that can easily kill you on their own(and having to manage this through almost the entire leveling grind), or many other difficulties that don't exist in modern wow.

Many Private Server players don't know how to manage an APM higher than 15. Many private server players don't even know the mechanics of their game. On Northdale, I havent ran into a single caster who's managed to successfully manage their mana, on my level 35 paladin, doing all dungeons at least once.

Classic players have a different skillset. Retail players are going to be able to play their characters better, but are going to have worse game sense.
Vanilla PVP =/= Retail PVP.

I am not sure who you watched but the epitome of skill probably wasn't it.

perplexity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM1bSJm6GTE

stormx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwH0atQZ0Q

A lot of the high skill vanilla pvp was based on management over many different players and engineering perfection in 1v1.

Retail pvp was last good in wotlk.
I don’t see the big deal. I didn’t buy BFA, but up through Legion I was technically a retail player, even though since mists all I do is random BGs to burn time.

Many of us played Vanilla. We did all the good stuff before there even were private servers. In other words, some of us did it first, with 100% accuracy (blizzard official).

I think for those of us who may be a bit rusty (I sure am), we will have things come flooding back in our memories once we get rolling. For anyone who didn’t play Vanilla, you’ll figure it out. We all figured it out and so will you. Just stick to it!

We need to move past who is from which crowd. Pservers and Retail has a good number of players who played 04-06. The whole “holier than thou” mentality is getting old.
11/11/2018 07:03 AMPosted by Volitar
Yes. Private server players love to !@#$ on retail players. I play both and it's funny even in top guilds the majority of players are worse than what I would consider an average retail player.

Good and bad mean different things in classic and retail though. Every single retail raid boss, and at this point a good number of dungeon ones, are like heigan: you have to learn their dance, and then you're probably fine. Skill expression is really just maintaining your rotation at optimum levels during the dance.

In classic, most of your characters are far more complex, and the challenge is often in figuring out how best to optimize and apply them to a difficult, if ultimately simpler, scenario. The greatest skill expressions in classic were usually the result of succeeding when Plan A went pear shaped.
Everyone knows that I am the Greatest.

/thread