New forum? Frequent flagger mileage

General Discussion
11/12/2018 05:25 AMPosted by Brewenor
Any chance with the new forums that frequent flaggers will be called out for overly flagging? I ask because I saw they are limiting the number of flags a person can give in a certain time period.

How about some transparency and making flagging public knowledge? Why let cowardly people hide in the shadows? If they think something is wrong, make them stand behind it. I have flagged maybe 5-6 times in 14 years. I have no issue with my name being attached to what I flag. I also can defend my opinions.

Being easily and overly offended is not something that should be encouraged.

If the flagging stays hidden, and people are allowed to do the max everyday, they are attempting to weaponize the tools of the community. All that will do is encourage others to simply make sure they hit the max flag count every day as well.

We must all work hard and flag vigorously as our leader has demanded we weed out unacceptable thought in order to allow freer speech.
11/12/2018 06:01 AMPosted by Kirela
11/12/2018 05:31 AMPosted by Rastlin

Flagging will be a bully tool and the changes they are springing on us suddenly are a real slap in the face.

You do realize that right now anyone can report any post on the forums right? Flagging just replaces reporting...

Of all the bloody things to cry about as bullying. I've said this to you before and I'll say it again: if you knew what real bullying was you wouldn't throw that word around. You actually are insulting every person who has actually been bullied.

Wanna have a bully off? let compare notes and see who can win. My bully was in my family and started the physical violence when I was 2.

Ill take attempted murder with a hammer to the head for the win Alex.

Now that I understand what bullying really is, I fight against it, even in it infant stages, like trying to quiet opposition.
11/12/2018 05:52 AMPosted by Brewenor
A simple law change could very easily change these into being part of the public square and fall under the first amendment.

They're not public though, you need an active account to post here. These forums are private property belonging to Blizzard. Laws aren't going to get changed to change a private venue into a public venue.
11/12/2018 06:01 AMPosted by Hellasha
Follow the CoC/rules as you've agreed to do and you won't have any thing to worry about. Breaking that agreement by breaking the rules will have appropriate consequences.

I used to agree to that until I started getting suspensions for making posts that I woukd have never in a million years thought would get me suspended and accused of trolling or spamming when none of those were ever my intent.

So no you really can't follow the TOU because all it takes is some vindictive trolls and a CM with their own imagining as to what is considered something to make your forum experience miserable.
11/12/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Hellasha
11/12/2018 05:52 AMPosted by Brewenor
A simple law change could very easily change these into being part of the public square and fall under the first amendment.

They're not public though, you need an active account to post here. These forums are private property belonging to Blizzard. Laws aren't going to get changed to change a private venue into a public venue.

So in your mind, people can still discriminate and not say allow women into a club because it requires membership? or folks of color? Or sexual orientation?

The ToS has no teeth once the gov steps in. Blizzard would be owned in a second.
11/12/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Brewenor
11/12/2018 06:01 AMPosted by Kirela

You do realize that right now anyone can report any post on the forums right? Flagging just replaces reporting...

Of all the bloody things to cry about as bullying. I've said this to you before and I'll say it again: if you knew what real bullying was you wouldn't throw that word around. You actually are insulting every person who has actually been bullied.

Wanna have a bully off? let compare notes and see who can win. My bully was in my family and started the physical violence when I was 2.

Now that I understand what bullying really is, I fight against it, even in it infant stages, like trying to quiet opposition.

Abuse and bullying aren't the same things.
11/12/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Leshe
Follow the CoC/rules as you've agreed to do and you won't have any thing to worry about. Breaking that agreement by breaking the rules will have appropriate consequences.

I used to agree to that until I started getting suspensions for making posts that I woukd have never in a million years thought would get me suspended and accused of trolling or spamming when none of those were ever my intent.

So no you really can't follow the TOU because all it takes is some vindictive trolls and a CM with their own imagining as to what is considered something to make your forum experience miserable.

I tend to agree with this because you can follow the CoC and blizzard still can and will take action if they don't agree with what you said, the way you said it even though it doesn't break any rules.

Says right in there.

Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to suspend your access to these forums at any time for reasons that include, but are not necessarily limited to, your failure to abide by these guidelines.
11/12/2018 06:09 AMPosted by Kirela
11/12/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Brewenor

They both come from the same source. Desire to control. The difference is how far they go to force their control.
It's all good, except for the human equation. I have yet to see anybody who is biased about something also be fair about it.
i am on the same page kind of with OP
but what we truly need is the ability to DOX anyone flagging so that we can take the appropriate measures offline and the deal the systemic problem at it roots, with the person who said something terrible that i/you/we/us may have disagreed with.

if their views aren't aligned in cohesion with that of the church and state we need to have the ability to ruin their lives, permanently if need be.

just a thought.
11/12/2018 05:30 AMPosted by Crepe

Talking about the game should be.

This isn't that.

I wouldn't worry too much about how people are going to receive what you have to say. Talk about how you feel. Enter into debates honestly and debate the points of the argument. Have a discussion. Respect the people around you.

If you have to worry about stuff like this? Perhaps you should revisit how you communicate.

Flagging will be a bully tool and the changes they are springing on us suddenly are a real slap in the face.

Now that's funny. The forum changes have been in the works since long before BfA was even released so it's not sudden at all.
11/12/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Leshe

THIS 100% and it's happened too me 2 times............ and the new forums are going to be better? I see more abuse coming.
11/12/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Brewenor
11/12/2018 06:09 AMPosted by Kirela

They both come from the same source. Desire to control. The difference is how far they go to force their control.

What does this have to do with the changes to the forum?
11/12/2018 06:17 AMPosted by Luqid
i am on the same page kind of with OP
but what we truly need is the ability to DOX anyone flagging so that we can take the appropriate measures offline and the deal the systemic problem at it roots, with the person who said something terrible that i/you/we/us may have disagreed with.

if their views aren't aligned in cohesion with that of the church and state we need to have the ability to ruin their lives, permanently if need be.

just a thought.

I am glad you see that flagging someone whose views aren't aligned in cohesion with that of the church and state of Blizzard and/ popular thought, we need to have the ability to remove them from the area.

Funny, I never said DOX and I seriously hope you do not believe I meant DOXing. I just believe in debate and the concept that the marketplace of ideas simply works. If you disagree with me, argue your point and have the conversation in the open. If your points have more merit, you win, I lose. The reason to remove the debate is because your ideas are inferior and cannot stand up to scrutiny. Listing those who flag, opens the debate. Flagging anonymously shuts down debate and allows only one viewpoint to be seen, because the idea cant stand on its own merits.
11/12/2018 06:06 AMPosted by Brewenor
11/12/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Hellasha

So in your mind, people can still discriminate and not say allow women into a club because it requires membership? or folks of color? Or sexual orientation?

The ToS has no teeth once the gov steps in. Blizzard would be owned in a second.

You need to revisit law school.
11/12/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Kirela

Flagging is a form of control. It stops people you disagree with from being able to speak. No reason required, just because the FLAGGER wants control over what someone else is doing.
I can't speak to how the other "new forums" work but my cynical nature and the nature of the forum currently makes me feel that the most homophobiac rants will leave hundreds of positive flags while anything remotely helpful from MVPs will receive the most negative flags.

Of course some of the attitude that will be ego-driven as all the special people of the forums will wonder why they aren't getting insta-praise for everything they post, no matter how innately wrong.

All in all, Blizzard can't make the forums any worse at this point except for completely abandoning moderation.
11/12/2018 05:31 AMPosted by Rastlin
Flagging will be a bully tool
This is going to be a moment where people will drop something to see if it falls up but... You are 100% correct on this.

It seems like people have forgotten that while the Diablo forums run the exact same software as these forums are running right now, they still have their vote down option on posts. The Mods disabled that feature in the WoW forums a while ago. Because of the very reason you cited... it was not being used properly.

11/12/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Macällän
Now that's funny. The forum changes have been in the works since long before BfA was even released so it's not sudden at all.
We've known they were coming, yes. But I should not have to catch a post made by a Green to inform us that it is happening within 48 hours.
11/12/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Brewenor
Flagging is a form of control. It stops people you disagree with from being able to speak. No reason required, just because the FLAGGER wants control over what someone else is doing.

Flagging is just a different name for reporting.

This is what it looks like when you flag someone on the Overwatch forums.

http://puu.sh/C0y3v/1b5c3a26e8.png

This is what it looks like when you report someone on the WoW forums.

http://puu.sh/C0y49/384b9e81f4.jpg

Literally just different names for the exact same feature.
11/12/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Kirela

he addressed that in his first post did he not ?