How do you feel about people who play both factions?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6
11/13/2018 03:39 AMPosted by Gnomest
I love both goblins and gnomes and have both goblin and gnome mains of which I love to do a lot of RP-PvP on both. Sometimes I have encountered some people in the past on both sides who were exactly fond of the idea that I had a toon on the other side. There was friend I had who lead this horde pvp group who flipped out when he found out I had a gnome who also hates gnomes a lot apparently. Then on the alliance side I ran into problems with someone who was just simply a diehard gnome enthusiast.
How do I feel about people who play on both sides? I think playing on both sides is normal. I think any one that gets upset about that is weird and frankly has issues.
Tym may bat for the home team, if you know what I mean, but I do in fact play both factions. In fact, I do this in any MMO that divides its players this way. In SWTOR, I have a full roster of both Republic and Sith Empire characters. Aion has been so long ago for me that I can't even name the factions, but I played both of those, too. To me, this seems wholesome and natural. I didn't buy half a game. I want to explore the whole thing!

What does concern me is the influence of strong single-faction loyalty to the overall civility of the community. The entire rationale for closing off cross-faction communication in-game is to prevent hostile, abusive or harassing chat, even though this is already prohibited. To have die-hards so invested in faction loyalty that we aren't even allowed to talk cripples roleplay opportunities, as well as encouraging hostile attitudes in the Forums. I think it's a drawback.
I’ve been guilty of this for a long time. I even played all the available factions in Warcraft 1-3.
11/13/2018 09:34 AMPosted by Gnomest
11/13/2018 06:29 AMPosted by Zaria
I'd guess that roughly 70% of the playerbase either plays both factions, or have alts on the opposing faction.

I know a few people who just went ahead and used their boost that came with BfA pre-purchase on an opposing faction alt just so they have a max level char to unlock the allied races.

There are certain mog items I wanted that are only obtainable in Alliance starting zones and my Alliance alts came in very handy.

I am so envious of horns and scars btw. They look amazing on your mog!

Aw thank you. This is actually mostly DH starter armor but I do like the design so I kept it.. your illidari mog is quite nice as well :)

But yes come to the Fel side oh little one... we have horns and scars - and fel cookies.
11/13/2018 03:39 AMPosted by Gnomest
I love both goblins and gnomes and have both goblin and gnome mains of which I love to do a lot of RP-PvP on both. Sometimes I have encountered some people in the past on both sides who were exactly fond of the idea that I had a toon on the other side. There was friend I had who lead this horde pvp group who flipped out when he found out I had a gnome who also hates gnomes a lot apparently. Then on the alliance side I ran into problems with someone who was just simply a diehard gnome enthusiast.

Doesn't bother me one bit. Why would I care how someone plays the game that is enjoyable for them? They pay their money and can play how they like. Who cares if they play both factions? I play both but only go on my horde one to see the story from the horde side. If someone plays both sides passionately then more power to them.
I guess I really don't consider myself having a main. If I was forced to pick, it would be this toon on the horde side and Balokore on the Alliance side. These two toons have been with me since Vanilla so they are always the first two I level in any new expansion.

With that being said, I have always done this to experience the entire story. I have always enjoyed both versions.
I am more interested in playing a race I enjoy than a faction.

I hate everything about alliance lore, it is boring. Humans in any RPG setting are dull. I have to slog through real life every day as one, why on earth would I want to escape to play one in a game. Same thing for elves. Over played, boring story lines. but, I love werewolves. So I am forced to being on the alliance.

Right now, the horde's Sylvanas story line is lame, I hate the forsaken, I hate blood elves even more. I actually quit playing horde for YEARS (BC-Cata), because of how much I hated seeing nothing but blood elves all over the place. I still hate seeing that race as the dominate choice on horde side. I cringe every time I join a random group, and 3-4 of the people in the party are blood elves. but, I love tauren, orc, and trolls. So I ignore the stuff I don't like the best I can, and enjoy my character to the full extent.

Oddly enough, when classic servers come out, I think I will actually enjoy playing the horde the most. The true horde! :D
I WANT to play a goblin to experience the gnome story from the Horde perspective, but their voices are like nails on a chalkboard for me, so I had to stock up on hair products and go with a BE. :/

Cross-faction gnomes please!
11/14/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Alockxander
I WANT to play a goblin to experience the gnome story from the Horde perspective, but their voices are like nails on a chalkboard for me, so I had to stock up on hair products and go with a BE. :/

Cross-faction gnomes please!

I’m around people every day that sound like goblins IRL so it makes me feel at home. That’s why I enjoy playing one