GCD Creep

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
So we're starting to slowly see abilities creep back off the GCD, and it makes me wonder - why can't the developers just admit that the GCD change was a bad one? Just flatout admit it, and have a conversation about what will be put back off the GCD in order to return some of the fluidness and speed to the gameplay. The arguments like, "it felt silly to have dps classes popping all their CDs at once" were quite foolish imo, as this was just a product of lazy and/or antequated design. If you want DPS cooldowns that aren't just stacked with each other, design them in such a way that they are incentivized by very different situations.

Just generally, I do not like the GCD changes and nor do any of the people I play with, who are mostly cutting edge raiders and people that run high keys. I think a big part of the general malaise about BFA stems from the pruning that came from losing artifacts and the GCD change; the game just *feels* worse than Legion, and I think that boils down to basic gameplay changes, since the art design and raid design of BFA is pretty good. So admit it - the GCD change was a failure. There's no shame in walking it back.
Blizzard admit their pet idea was bad? LOL, yeah right. Best we can hope for is a slow reversion until next expansion where it's all gone again.
I think it's pretty funny how the majority of players so vehemently against the GCD change don't even understand/acknowledge why it was changed in the first place; instead coming up with garbage reasons for Blizzard's "laziness" because it feels worse in the only area of the game they play.

11/13/2018 09:43 AMPosted by Mortis
I do not like the GCD changes and nor do any of the people I play with, who are mostly cutting edge raiders and people that run high keys.
Hint: It wasn't changed for cutting edge raiders or m+ players.

This expansion was intended to breathe new life into pvp (which failed, obviously), and the GCD change was intended to make it more reasonable for players to react to cooldowns (and also make it impossible to instantly stack multiple cooldowns and do damage simultaneously; again, before a player can react).

It was a successful change in its intent, and I personally still think offensive cooldowns on the GCD is fine. The biggest mistake, imo, is having defensive CDs and utility/mobility abilities on the GCD.
11/13/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Dumb
I think it's pretty funny how the majority of players so vehemently against the GCD change don't even understand/acknowledge why it was changed in the first place; instead coming up with garbage reasons for Blizzard's "laziness" because it feels worse in the only area of the game they play.

I do not like the GCD changes and nor do any of the people I play with, who are mostly cutting edge raiders and people that run high keys.
Hint: It wasn't changed for cutting edge raiders or m+ players.

This expansion was intended to breathe new life into pvp (which failed, obviously), and the GCD change was intended to make it more reasonable for players to react to cooldowns (and also make it impossible to instantly stack multiple cooldowns and do damage simultaneously; again, before a player can react).

It was a successful change in its intent, and I personally still think offensive cooldowns on the GCD is fine. The biggest mistake, imo, is having defensive CDs and utility/mobility abilities on the GCD.

Successful in making people quit maybe.

This line of thought makes zero sense. It would make sense if they only put offensive CDs on the GCD. That wasn't the case. Most defensive and Mobility CDs were also added to the GCD negating any real change as it was all a zero sum gain. If anything more people were dying than not due to these changes as they had to wait to use their life saving tools and died before they could come off the GCD. Waiting 1.5 seconds for your life-saving CD to come up while you're being trained is an eternity and greatly hurt players ability to quickly react to a target swap.

Imo, the GCD changes were made to attempt to bridge the "dead space" many specs suffered due to crippling of their secondary stats going from Legion to BfA.
I think it's just them realizing they took the changes too far. Their biggest goal with the GCD change was to eliminate macroing multiple cooldowns together, but they forgot they were removing fun.
11/13/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Xoja
I think it's just them realizing they took the changes too far. Their biggest goal with the GCD change was to eliminate macroing multiple cooldowns together, but they forgot they were removing fun.

I think the excuse they gave (the one you listed) was an obvious smoke-screen for an alternate objective. If this were the case they would not have added so many abilities to the GCD such as defensive and mobility.

It was fairly obvious that their reasoning for the GCD we're dishonest as they kept bringing up the single outlier (Fury) while putting darned near everything on the GCD. So what, everyone paid the price for Fury having "10 abilities off the GCD"? That's obtuse and I don't believe it for a minute.

In the end, like all the other class design choices made by the developers made the game far worse. They keep going farther and farther away from an already well established plan for success and it's costing them millions of $.

At what point does Blizzard step up and attempt to stop the bleeding? At this point they can no longer overlook the amount of harm this new class design direction is causing to WoW and it's subscriber numbers.
11/13/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Victor
I think the excuse they gave (the one you listed) was an obvious smoke-screen for an alternate objective.

It's not some Alex Jones tin foil hat level conspiracy like you seem to think it is.

This is how they do every single thing. Nerf hard, buff little. For reasons they've told us over and over again. If they nerf too hard it's a positive and well received change when they reduce the nerfs. When they buff too much it's a negative thing when they reign them in. Exactly the same as here. It's all about how the community will perceive the change.
I think who ever is responsible for letting these class changes go through really needs to be REMOVED from the class design team. I've been playing this game through every expansion since Vanilla and this is easily the worst class design has ever been.

Are they pruning all of our abilities and making us slower so we can transition better into a phone game?
11/13/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Victor
This line of thought makes zero sense. It would make sense if they only put offensive CDs on the GCD. That wasn't the case. Most defensive and Mobility CDs were also added to the GCD negating any real change as it was all a zero sum gain.
I mean, no.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=283908/comprehensive-list-of-abilities-added-to-the-gcd-in-battle-for-azeroth

Almost all changes were offensive and mobility. There isn't a single external DR cooldown from healers that was changed, with the only changes being buff cooldowns (tree/rapture/ascendance/wings). Comparing that to the amount of offensive cooldowns changed, it is simply wrong to say it is zero sum. It is much better reacting to cooldowns as a healer now than it was before the GCD changes. Not to mention, reacting to offensive cooldowns is more than just defensive cooldowns.

Now, whether you think that's ultimately worth it or not is obviously subjective, and most often based on whether you pvp competitively or not (and even more specifically if you heal). Since most people don't pvp competitively in this game, I tend to agree with the community that the change was a poor decision overall; however, the change for what it was intended for was a good one.
11/13/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Victor
I think the excuse they gave (the one you listed) was an obvious smoke-screen for an alternate objective. If this were the case they would not have added so many abilities to the GCD such as defensive and mobility

I don't think you're wrong.

I mean, just look at who feeds us info like this during Q&As.
11/13/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Dumb
11/13/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Victor
This line of thought makes zero sense. It would make sense if they only put offensive CDs on the GCD. That wasn't the case. Most defensive and Mobility CDs were also added to the GCD negating any real change as it was all a zero sum gain.
I mean, no.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=283908/comprehensive-list-of-abilities-added-to-the-gcd-in-battle-for-azeroth

Almost all changes were offensive and mobility. There isn't a single external DR cooldown from healers that was changed, with the only changes being buff cooldowns (tree/rapture/ascendance/wings). Comparing that to the amount of offensive cooldowns changed, it is simply wrong to say it is zero sum.

Did you post that link to prove my point beyond any doubt? I'll list all the defensive CDs on that list...

Netherwalk
Dancing rune weapon
Darkness
Soul Barrier
Frenzied Regeneration
Survival instincts
Exhiliration
Aura mastery
Light of the Protector
Bristling fur
Ignore Pain
Shield of Vengeance
Crimson vial
Rallying cry

That's an awful lot of defensive CDs added to the GCD. I didn't even mention all of the mobility added to the GCD. If the goal was for people to live longer, they didn't give that idea much thought.
11/14/2018 11:00 PMPosted by Victor
Did you post that link to prove my point beyond any doubt? I'll list all the defensive CDs on that list...
Buddy, those are mostly tank defensives. Do you not understand how ridiculous it is to bring those up as an argument in the discussion about pvp cooldowns, especially when I specifically was talking about healing DR cooldowns? Are you being purposely dense, or just trolling? I can't decide.

Regardless, I'd try actually reading my post before furiously typing your thoughts next time.