Any changes coming for 8.1 Arcane mage?

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
The lack of communication from Blizzard's side about Arcane has been really frustrating. The spec has so many core/talent/tuning issues and various bugs.
It may be one of the top performers in PvE right now, but on the other side it's currently the 4th worst performing spec in 3v3.

Here's some of the multiple feedback threads about arcane since beta:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765148446#post-1
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17623902228#post-1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765416434#post-1
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17622613732#post-5
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17623983500#post-1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765006710#post-1
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17624152268#post-1

I can't be asked to spent hours to write down yet another Arcane thread, I just want to play the game, but it's been really difficult to do so lately.
I'll keep bumping this one up, until some good changes come or at least we get acknowledged of our existence by a blue post.
This is so many feedback threads.

All of it ignored. I can't write any more about the spec either. I'm actually exhausted from caring about it.

See you guys in 9.0 when they nerf Rune of Power to 35% and slap a GCD on Presence of Mind, nerf our damage by 20% then re-buff it by 18%, and then call it "good" for the next expansion.

o7
10/16/2018 05:25 AMPosted by Ilmx
This is so many feedback threads.

All of it ignored. I can't write any more about the spec either. I'm actually exhausted from caring about it.

See you guys in 9.0 when they nerf Rune of Power to 35% and slap a GCD on Presence of Mind, nerf our damage by 20% then re-buff it by 18%, and then call it "good" for the next expansion.

o7

We've all exhausted ourselves for what we can write about the problems of Arcane but nothing has been done so far or datamined, I don't even think we've had a single new trait revealed yet.
I think latest mythic logs also have Arcane as the worst dps spec in the game. So, horribly boring, simplified gameplay, horrible damage. At least it is consistent . . .

I think Blizz is too occupied with vainly trying to fix the azerite armor fiasco that they don't have time to look at individual specs right now.
Good luck getting anything from Blizzard regarding mages. Their motto is to turn a blind eye and give % buff or nerf.
Well, just a list of things I'd love to see for the spec, which I expect will differ from many:

Make Arcane Missiles our big hitter again. Also, more charges - that shouldn't be a PvP-only option.

Need at least one more spell - something to spice up the rotation.

Adjust numerous talents so we aren't stuck in the situation where we have to spec entirely ST or entirely AoE. This is exactly the scenario Blizz has said they don't want, yet it remains as a fundamental part of Arcane. In fact, our Azerite traits are also basically ST vs. AoE. Fix this!

Give us a way to AoE from range. Yes, I love Arcane Explosion, but most people play mages to be ranged. At the very least, if we can't get real range, buff the radius on Arcane Explosion back up to 15 yard minimum. I know plenty of people who don't want to take Arcane for higher keys entirely due to the fact that they are stuck in melee range.

Also, make our AoE interact with arcane charges. This lets us conserve mana in AoE situations. Drinking between pulls isn't all that much fun. Really.
I haven't seen any changes datamined on beta.

Arcane still has many of the issues that we discussed for the entirety of the beta.

1. Pure single-target and AoE talents within the same tier. Why is this still a thing? Blizzard said they didn't want us constantly changing talents for each fight, yet they add a tier that demands we do exactly that.

My suggestion: Replace touch of the magi with resonance to turn this into a pure aoe talent tier, OR rework reverberate to provide some benefit on single-target. Maybe copy the legendary shoulder effect. Reverberate: Your arcane barrage has a X% chance per charge to launch an arcane orb at your target.

2. Synergy between Rune and OP promote cooldown stacking and shift a majority of our damage into a 10-second window. Again, blizzard stated that they didn't want cooldown stacking. In fact, according to blizzard, cooldown stacking was the primary reasoning behind the GCD change, so why do we still have this talent combination?

My suggestion: Replace arcane orb with rune, and make rune replace arcane power when talented. It will now impact gameplay by giving us a choice to have more frequent burns at the cost of being much more mana intensive due to missing the mana cost reduction of arcane power. It may require some retuning to make the tradeoff worth it.

3. Level 60 talents are boring and/or weak. Our choices are a passive boost to aoe, a free barrage every 45-seconds, and an ability so weak that it has no place in our rotation. This only changes this row has received since legion were a nerf to resonance and a GCD added to charged up. This talent row is just as horrible as it was in legion. Please rework this entire row.

My suggestion: Make this a "new ability" row. Give us a choice to choose a new rotational ability. Replace resonance with Arcane Orb, charged up with Nether Tempest, and either buff Supernova to be competitive or replace it with Mark of Aluneth from legion. We now have a choice between a new rotational ability to generate charges, a new rotational ability to consume charges, and a new rotational ability that simply deals damage.

4. Mirror images are WEAK. It is impossible to balance a 2-min single-target cooldown against 2 other talents that boost ALL single-target AND aoe damage. A buff to mirror images won't work because then you will encourage talent switching if it is made into the superior single-target talent.

My suggestion: Make mirror images baseline and make this row instead affect mirror images.

Examples:
  • Explosive Image: Reduces the cooldown of your mirror image spell by 30 seconds. Your mirror images now each trigger an explosion on your target when they expire or are killed.
  • Enduring Image: Your mirror images last an additional 20 seconds and have increased health. Consuming Brain Freeze, Hot Streak, or Clearcasting will heal your images and extend their duration by 2 seconds.
  • Familiars: You can no longer cast mirror images. You now summon a familiar of a random school of magic to assist you every 10 seconds. Each familiar will engage your targets with melee attacks for 30 seconds and will periodically cast a spell aimed at their target dependent on their element. Arcane: Arcane Explosion. Fire: Dragon's Breath. Frost: Cone of Cold.

5. Simplified rotation/lack of abilities. This spec has been pruned to oblivion. The base single-target "rotation" consists of only THREE spells, and AoE only uses up to Three if you want to conserve mana with rule of threes. So much of arcane's power is tied to arcane blast. It is our builder, our spender, and our filler spell. Look at the logs for arcane in mythic fights and you'll see that up to 80% of our damage comes from ONE spell. Arcane missiles also feels painfully weak and sometimes doesn't even feel worth the cast.

My suggestion: Add something to make the rotation a bit more involved and to break the monotony. Maybe even add in a new proc to watch out for. Maybe a new proc which makes Arcane Missiles fire twice as many missiles but doesn't remove its mana cost. That would give us a reason to consume rule of threes with arcane missiles and to conserve mana for a truly powerful spell. Also, add in a BASELINE new spell to our rotation. People have suggested Arcane Orb, but Supernova, Nether Tempest, or Mark of Aluneth would be nice too.
what, you guys dont like pressing that one button?

I wouldn't mind playing arcane but its just not engaging at all, hope you get some love too.
If they want us to use nothing else but Arcane Blast - hey, why don't just go ahead and let Slipstream allow Arcane Blast to be castable while moving during Clearcasting.

Simple is Beauty, right? What's more simple than using nothing else but Arcane Blast even if you need to move?
10/16/2018 09:19 PMPosted by Suhuy
what, you guys dont like pressing that one button?

I wouldn't mind playing arcane but its just not engaging at all

There are some pluses to this garbage design. Few days ago my cousin came over to my house and he sat behind me while I was doing a M+ dungeon, I just turned around and started chatting with him without looking at the monitor while spamming Arcane Blast, and I was still top damage.
Ikr, that's pro as heck.

10/16/2018 09:36 PMPosted by Kayabao
If they want us to use nothing else but Arcane Blast - hey, why don't just go ahead and let Slipstream allow Arcane Blast to be castable while moving during Clearcasting.

It's almost like Ice Floes from Legion when It was for all 3 specs, but I guess that was too much fun, so they pruned it for fire and arcane.
Does anyone else remember some of these fun spells that mages used to have?
Alter Time, Blazing Speed, Evanesce, Deep Freeze, Shatter(for all specs), Frostjaw, etc.

10/16/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Fatcow
My suggestion: Make mirror images baseline and make this row instead affect mirror images.

Examples:
Explosive Image: Reduces the cooldown of your mirror image spell by 30 seconds. Your mirror images now each trigger an explosion on your target when they expire or are killed.
Enduring Image: Your mirror images last an additional 20 seconds and have increased health. Consuming Brain Freeze, Hot Streak, or Clearcasting will heal your images and extend their duration by 2 seconds.
Familiars: You can no longer cast mirror images. You now summon a familiar of a random school of magic to assist you every 10 seconds. Each familiar will engage your targets with melee attacks for 30 seconds and will periodically cast a spell aimed at their target dependent on their element. Arcane: Arcane Explosion. Fire: Dragon's Breath. Frost: Cone of Cold.

That's too much work man, why would they bother doing something cool?
Fun detected? Fun pruned!
Looks like Arcane is getting 1 change in 8.1... to an Azerite trait....

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287975/patch-8-1-ptr-build-28151-achievements-and-class-changes-new-azerite-blood-dk-ne
Brain Storm: Evocation grants 2 Arcane Charge, and while channeling Evocation, your Intellect is increased by 37 every 1 sec. Lasts 30 sec.

Surely THIS is what Arcane has been missing! Thank you Blizzard for reading and listening to all our feedback...........................
10/17/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Fatcow
Looks like Arcane is getting 1 change in 8.1... to an Azerite trait....

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287975/patch-8-1-ptr-build-28151-achievements-and-class-changes-new-azerite-blood-dk-ne
Brain Storm: Evocation grants 2 Arcane Charge, and while channeling Evocation, your Intellect is increased by 37 every 1 sec. Lasts 30 sec.

Surely THIS is what Arcane has been missing! Thank you Blizzard for reading and listening to all our feedback...........................

This one takes the cake as the most useless 'buff' of all time to Arcane.
10/17/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Fatcow

I nearly spat my drink from laughter when I saw this change, so ridiculous.
Wohoo 2 free charges every 1.5mins if you decide to gut your damage by picking this super clunky and useless trait!
10/17/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Failedwizard
This one takes the cake as the most useless 'buff' of all time to Arcane.

Inb4 5% pvp damage increase to Nether Tempest and Supernova, that would be hilarious.
10/16/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Vindecaytor
I'll keep bumping this one up, until some good changes come or at least we get acknowledged of our existence by a blue post.

Bump.
It would be nice if arcane got some acknowledgement from a blue post somewhere so we know it isn't being ignored. The only blue post I've seen regarding arcane was in the feedback thread back in beta where they admitted that the Mana Adept talent was a failure...

It just feels like Blizzard was in the middle of an Arcane redesign back in beta, but then they just abandoned it halfway. Arcane has that "unfinished" feel.
10/19/2018 03:53 AMPosted by Fatcow
It just feels like Blizzard was in the middle of an Arcane redesign back in beta, but then they just abandoned it halfway. Arcane has that "unfinished" feel.

I wish they took some time to tune it properly at least.
In legion, arcane didn't have many buttons either, but at least your damaging abilities felt impactful and worthwhile casting.
And now in BFA, aside from Arcane Blast, everything else feels like a DPS loss.
If you want to design a spec with simple rotation and very few buttons, at least make the buttons feel good when used.

Missiles are poo poo compared to legion.
Barrage is poo poo compared to legion.
Explosion is poo poo compared to legion.
Orb is poo poo compared to legion.
Nether Tempest is as horrible as it was in legion.
Only Arcane Blast got an improvent overall...
still waiting...
BFA arcane in a nutshell:
https://imgur.com/a/uF8r3M9
https://ptr.wowdb.com/spells/270669-arcane-pummeling#27791-27826