Why I Hate LFR (as a new player)

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
LFR is the login bonus for the WoW gacha game.

Like others said, the best thing for you to do is to just not do it.

Pretend that LFR doesn't exist at all and it will have the same effect on your game as it being completely removed.

All I really need is for someone to make an addons to hide the LFR tab for me so I can't even see it and it would be perfect.
10/19/2018 01:36 AMPosted by Derpaartos
LFR is the login bonus for the WoW gacha game.

Like others said, the best thing for you to do is to just not do it.

Pretend that LFR doesn't exist at all and it will have the same effect on your game as it being completely removed.

All I really need is for someone to make an addons to hide the LFR tab for me so I can't even see it and it would be perfect.

Buzzwords, catchphrases, popular opinion.

Look at me guys I’m relevant.

I think a lifetime of Nike advertising has proven that you should in fact just do it.

Like others suggest, just pretend the forum game doesn’t exist and it will have the same affect on your game as it being completely removed.
Like others suggest, just pretend the forum game doesn’t exist and it will have the same affect on your game as it being completely removed.
Not to nitpick, but Derp had it right.

Effect is a noun using the word in a passive manner. "This new piece of gear I got has an EFFECT on my DPS."

Affect is a verb that describes an action. "This new piece of gear AFFECTS my ability to complete X content."
10/18/2018 09:42 PMPosted by Pict
10/18/2018 09:08 PMPosted by Tormento
If you hate it don't do it.
It's the fact that others can still do it that makes it a problem. Read and think a little bit before vomiting out your prepackaged, GD-approved response.

How is it a problem?

If you want to do harder content, me doing LFR doesn't effect you.
I find it interesting that this "new player" has beaten mythic Siege...as a new player I am curious as to how he beat the mechanics in a raid he has never even seen.

LFR is the worst aspect of game design i've personally encountered in WoW up to this point, i'm here to explain why i think this. I have 3 main reasons why i despise LFR.

I notice you have done LFR Uldir....but despite your claims to not liking LFR, I dont see any normal or other raid achieves.

1. It turns the raid and the epic enemies contained within into complete jokes.

Not at all. There are four difficulties, so go join a raid team.

2. It lessens the incentive to advance one's skills and gear for the sake of experiencing all the content.

For a new player you seem to have all the memes and talking points down pat..for the record, that little statement has been repeated ad nauseum since LFR incept. Its wrong then and its wrong now.

People like me who used to raid, dont anymore. Been there done that.

3. It removes the need to communicate and interact with others.

Thats news to me. Id ask you to define how this is..but I have a suspicion you are repeating someone elses talking points.

As for #1, i'm a complete nerd for high fantasy. Since reading the LOTR in elementary school and then later reading Forgotten Realms books and many others i've been completely engrossed by it.

Then you can tell me without looking it up what happened to Drizzts brother after his sister tried to kill him with an axe.

Being able to defeat them easily is a complete disservice to them and that's exactly what LFR does.

I think thats an exaggeration, to put it bluntly.

What's the point in defeating a legendary foe if a group of people randomly thrown together can do it easily? That doesn't feel good, it ruins both immersion and motivation for me.

Then dont do it.

Frankly speaking, with my current skill and time commitment into the game i don't deserve to defeat these foes.

Then go join a raid team.

2. Simply put, it should take effort and commitment to experience the highest tier of content in the game. Raids should not be made so that everyone can do them

Because of course its a great idea to throw away millions of dollars on content seen by 2% of the playerbase.

They should be for people with the skills, coordination and commitment to complete them. Otherwise there is nothing to work towards except for the higher difficulties. Working towards seeing and experiencing the raid would be incredibly satisfying and give me a clear and definite goal to work towards.

Then go join a raid team.

The rest of your post is basically a template based on whats been said over and over for years and I see nothing new or original here.
10/18/2018 09:18 PMPosted by Careyna
I tend to agree. I have always wondered if the introduction of multiple difficulty levels would slowly kill the experience. Secondly due to so many difficulties we have insane ilvl scaling each expansion.

It does have a dampening effect.

On the one hand LFR explicitly informing you that your ability to succeed is directly tied to your willingness to slam your head against the content because wiping makes it easier.

And, now, it goes further, because nothing else in the game ever does this.

But it also sends the message that Mythic means for the super hardcore, and in the case of mythic dungeons that is just not the case.

Other games fundamentally handle the concept of tourism mode- because that's what LFR is- better.
10/18/2018 11:39 PMPosted by Memnöch
10/18/2018 09:06 PMPosted by Cmacle
LFR is the worst aspect of game design i've personally encountered in WoW up to this point, i'm here to explain why i think this. I have 3 main reasons why i despise LFR.

2. It lessens the incentive to advance one's skills and gear for the sake of experiencing all the content.

As for #1, i'm a complete nerd for high fantasy. Since reading the LOTR in elementary school and then later reading Forgotten Realms books and many others i've been completely engrossed by it. One of my favorite aspects of fantasy has always been the characters of legendary proportions. From Sauron and Elminster to Arthas and Yogg Saron, these are characters that help to define a fantasy setting due to their respective presences. Being able to defeat them easily is a complete disservice to them and that's exactly what LFR does. What's the point in defeating a legendary foe if a group of people randomly thrown together can do it easily? That doesn't feel good, it ruins both immersion and motivation for me. Frankly speaking, with my current skill and time commitment into the game i don't deserve to defeat these foes. I want to work towards that. As an aside, to everyone who says just work towards beating them on higher difficulties it simply isn't the same for me. After the first time it becomes more about beating higher numbers than defeating the foe themselves. I'd much rather feel like a bystander in the world than a hero who had their victories handed to them.

2. Simply put, it should take effort and commitment to experience the highest tier of content in the game. Raids should not be made so that everyone can do them. They should be for people with the skills, coordination and commitment to complete them. Otherwise there is nothing to work towards except for the higher difficulties. Working towards seeing and experiencing the raid would be incredibly satisfying and give me a clear and definite goal to work towards.

3. This is a major issue that needs to be addressed in my opinion. Online games have always been fun and interesting because of the friends, enemies and bonds created within them. LFR is the antithesis of this, taking an event designed around communication and teamwork and turning it into an antisocial experience. I honestly don't understand what is fun about LFR, it's not challenging or social. Why bother? What enjoyment is there in playing through something with no clear goal and randomly rolling on a loot table with so many outcomes it's impossible to get the perfect item?

I understand that i don't speak for everyone and i'm curious to hear other opinions on the subject.

1. You’ve said you’re new here. Your ideas have been tested over the course of 20+ years of online gaming. People...don’t. They don’t aspire, they don’t access they don’t attend. Very few find enjoyment in that and eventually that leads to a game that appeals to very few (of which I have always been).

2. The room for effort, the room for improvement, the room to excel has never been more well defined or apparent in the entire lifespan of the MMO genre as it is now.

You can at a glance dicern the difference between an LFR raider or a Mythic raider a <1600 and a >1800. You can go to any one of a dozen of websites to see the top players in the world and see how you measure up. You can actually earn a living from playing this video game.

If you truly want to work, this is the golden age for recognition.

3. How do you know what MMOs have always been about? You’re (self admittedly new here).

MMOs have always been about bling. You’ve got none kid...I shine with the brightness of 1K suns.

let us know when you try out bfa
If you despise LFR, don't run it.
10/18/2018 09:10 PMPosted by Kullimonk

If the drops were cosmetic I would not do it

No pain, no gain.

This.

OP....LFR is obviously not meant for you.
"1. It turns the raid and the epic enemies contained within into complete jokes."

O rly? I've wiped a fair bit in LFR this tier.
10/19/2018 02:28 AMPosted by Crowlay
Not to nitpick, but Derp had it right.

Effect is a noun using the word in a passive manner. "This new piece of gear I got has an EFFECT on my DPS."

Affect is a verb that describes an action. "This new piece of gear AFFECTS my ability to complete X content."
Actually, I think both the verb or the noun would work here.
You know we can see your mount collection etc. Methinks you are an Alliance alt pretending to be new.

How as a 'new' player would you even know this ?

Secondly, why are you spending your time doing it if you despise it.

Thirdly, blizzard makes content for various types of people, just because something is in the game doesn't mean you should do it.

10/19/2018 10:24 AMPosted by Dirge
You know we can see your mount collection etc. Methinks you are an Alliance alt pretending to be new.

They probably are but the earliest achievement I could see was 2017 and you could get 35 mounts in a year.
10/19/2018 12:12 AMPosted by Solarwynds
10/18/2018 09:42 PMPosted by Pict
...It's the fact that others can still do it that makes it a problem. Read and think a little bit before vomiting out your prepackaged, GD-approved response.
Why is that a problem?

Yeah. I really want to hear the answer to this particular question.
I have certainly lost more interest in the game since Blizz decided to move from progression raiding (classic, BC) to difficulty tiered raiding (started Trial of the Crusader onward). I loved BC because there was real progression from T4-T6. You actually had a reason to be excited about every new boss down (not yay, he died again with more health and damage).

Please do a BC server Blizz. Pretty please?!
10/18/2018 09:12 PMPosted by Cmacle
I'm honestly not aware of the memes, i just genuinely feel this way.

Calling BS on that. As I may have mentioned, I'm a very suspicious minded individual. I think you're using an alt/alt account to post complaints about LFR because you've used your main so much that nobody even takes you seriously anymore and you are so against LFR for some illogical reason, that you feel you must post on and "alias" toon just so someone might take you seriously and actually think about getting LFR removed.

Little tip there chuckles, ActiBlizz will never remove LFR because more people do LFR than any other type of "raiding". Also, anyone who thinks anything they post here is going to influence anyone on the current dev team is delusional and should be medicated.

They won't even listen to constructive feedback in the beta, they won't listen to anything here.

Semper Fi!
It sounds like somebody had a bad LFR experience, don't worry we all have them and I frequently hate my LFR experiences with a passion at times but I'm still marginally in favor of LFR.

As for #1, i'm a complete nerd for high fantasy. Since reading the LOTR in elementary school and then later reading Forgotten Realms books and many others i've been completely engrossed by it. One of my favorite aspects of fantasy has always been the characters of legendary proportions. From Sauron and Elminster to Arthas and Yogg Saron, these are characters that help to define a fantasy setting due to their respective presences. Being able to defeat them easily is a complete disservice to them and that's exactly what LFR does. What's the point in defeating a legendary foe if a group of people randomly thrown together can do it easily? That doesn't feel good, it ruins both immersion and motivation for me. Frankly speaking, with my current skill and time commitment into the game i don't deserve to defeat these foes. I want to work towards that. As an aside, to everyone who says just work towards beating them on higher difficulties it simply isn't the same for me. After the first time it becomes more about beating higher numbers than defeating the foe themselves. I'd much rather feel like a bystander in the world than a hero who had their victories handed to them.

2. Simply put, it should take effort and commitment to experience the highest tier of content in the game. Raids should not be made so that everyone can do them. They should be for people with the skills, coordination and commitment to complete them. Otherwise there is nothing to work towards except for the higher difficulties. Working towards seeing and experiencing the raid would be incredibly satisfying and give me a clear and definite goal to work towards.

3. This is a major issue that needs to be addressed in my opinion. Online games have always been fun and interesting because of the friends, enemies and bonds created within them. LFR is the antithesis of this, taking an event designed around communication and teamwork and turning it into an antisocial experience. I honestly don't understand what is fun about LFR, it's not challenging or social. Why bother? What enjoyment is there in playing through something with no clear goal and randomly rolling on a loot table with so many outcomes it's impossible to get the perfect item?

I understand that i don't speak for everyone and i'm curious to hear other opinions on the subject.

Perhaps WoW isn't the game for you? I'm not saying that to be mean, but if you truly feel that is what you want out of a game, then you might need to look elsewhere for one that fits what you want the game to be.

I do hope you look past the what you perceive as flaws of the game, and get into the part that is made for you (mythic raiding). I am always happy to see new people playing the game. Or maybe wait until classic comes out, as that might fit the niche you are looking for.