Characters mains on fourms

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
10/22/2018 09:43 AMPosted by Grabmytotem
10/22/2018 06:52 AMPosted by Chèvrée
Sometimes an alt is simply more appropriate to whatever topic is under discussion.

If what you would say you wouldn't want to be known for then its probably one of a few things

A. Toxic

B. Troll
or

C. You are afraid it'll make you look bad because you hold an unpopular opinion and wouldn't want your "image" tarnished. How vain.

D. You prefer anonymity online, even when it comes to games, unless otherwise is specifically necessary. It's never been uncommon to do so.

E. The substance and veracity of my point are rarely predicated on the character with which I post them. When it would be so, I post on one of my mains.
10/22/2018 06:50 AMPosted by Rhó
Why don't people post with there mains as there profile picture? I see people post on the fourms and alot of them seem to post as a alt or a level one random character? If you don't post with your main profile pic, and I can't check your item level, experience etc, I have a hard time believing in what others are talking about. Anyone else feel this way?

Why do you feel that anyone owes you an explanation of why they post with who they post with? Why do you, and people that share your mindset think any of us care what you think about our ilevel? Why should I care if some random on the internet believes a thing I say?

I post with this toon period, that means you will never see me logging on as someone else so I can troll or behave any differently. You don't have to like it, frankly I don't give a rats patooty but you will have to just deal with it.
10/22/2018 06:51 AMPosted by Cindariel
What does checking characters have to do with the majority of posts here?
because some people complain about content that they haven't even experienced yet.
10/22/2018 09:52 AMPosted by Hrumn
10/22/2018 09:43 AMPosted by Grabmytotem

If what you would say you wouldn't want to be known for then its probably one of a few things

A. Toxic

B. Troll
or

C. You are afraid it'll make you look bad because you hold an unpopular opinion and wouldn't want your "image" tarnished. How vain.

D. You prefer anonymity online, even when it comes to games, unless otherwise is specifically necessary. It's never been uncommon to do so.

E. The substance and veracity of my point are rarely predicated on the character with which I post them. When it would be so, I post on one of my mains.

Why would you need anonymity? Your characters byd efault are anonymous.
I actually try to post on whatever character I am currently playing most at the time. I've been spending 95% of my time leveling this lately, hence the avatar choice.

If I were posting in a class specific or realm specific thread then I switch to an appropriate character for that.

I don't mind people posting on various characters, although I don't understand the lvl 1 poster, that really does come across as hiding.

I mean, if your posting something you don't feel comfortable standing behind or owning up to. It's probably best left unsaid in my opinion.
I've never really understood the purpose of hiding behind an alt to say what you want to say about something. The way I see it, if you're unwilling to have your opinion associated with your main or your guild etc, then you may be expressing it poorly. Being worried about being harassed in-game because of your unpopular opinion seems a bit ridiculous to me when we have ways in-game to deal with that sort of behavior and stop it.

I have changed my forum character when I changed mains because it coincided with when the forums got their makeover, and since I switched back to my druid as my main, I've "lost" a lot of my post history, but I figure it's whatever. Don't ever plan on switching mains again, and even if I do, I'll likely keep this character as my forum poster for continuity.

Also I don't even bother switching characters based on subject. Recently I experienced and made a forum post about a hunter-specific bug with the Mend Pet ability. I made that post with this character. If someone doubts my "hunter cred" because I'm on a druid... well, I have to say I think that makes them sort of stupid.

As another poster said, if you need to attack the poster based on your perception of their experience or whatever instead of their argument in a debate, you're doing it wrong and falling into a logical fallacy. And if they're on a level 1 (or otherwise under experienced) character that shouldn't matter either, unless they've fallen into the appeal to authority logical fallacy which is equally invalid, and that is what makes their opinion moot/useless, not the toon they post from.
Sometimes I switch if its specific to that race and or class
The level 1 silhouette posts, are just cowards and trolls imho
I post, generally, on whatever toon I'm spending the most time on at that point in time. Unlocked DI Dwarves last week so here I am on this toon.

As far as checking my armory? Lol, I don't really care what people think. I don't raid.. oh no!! I and others like me still have relevant feedback on a number of issues here that have zero to do with endgame progression. Somebody claiming otherwise is much more ignorant than us "filthy casuals".

Everyone here pays for or earns their right to play/enjoy the game in any way they see fit and therefor also has the right to an opinion about any number of game topics. You thinking somebody's cartoon character isn't as cool as yours and thus claiming their opinion is invalid, again, says more about you than the "scrub" who doesn't have the big numbers.
10/22/2018 06:56 AMPosted by Rhó
10/22/2018 06:52 AMPosted by Deville
who cares if they make a good point.

It matters because If it's just someone running lfr for raids, and complaining about mythic raiding being this or that. That person who doesn't run mythic raids, shoundt talk about mythic raiding, or like pvp, I don't pvp at all, so I shouldn't complain about pvp or something like that.

On the flip side, people who don't have a good counter point will dog the armory to death at times when it actually doesn't matter.

I have posted things that I don't want linked to past issues and I certainly don't want people coming to me in the game about forum stuff. It's really has nothing to do with my gear or achievements.

I don't go poking around the armory because even if it's a 120 it could still be an alt so I essentially just assume every toon is an alt unless stated otherwise. That's just me.
Why don't people post with there mains as there profile picture? I see people post on the fourms and alot of them seem to post as a alt or a level one random character? If you don't post with your main profile pic, and I can't check your item level, experience etc, I have a hard time believing in what others are talking about. Anyone else feel this way?

Because after 14 years of playing this game I have come to realise there are large cult of players of low IQ who are more than willing to spend hours of their lives creating low level characters just for the purpose of "Enlightening" folks who have a differing viewpoint.
If you don't post with your main profile pic, and I can't check your item level, experience etc, I have a hard time believing in what others are talking about. Anyone else feel this way?

Nope. If you can't tell by what someone is saying if they know what they are talking about or not, then looking at their armory really isn't going to make much difference to you.
It matters because If it's just someone running lfr for raids, and complaining about mythic raiding being this or that. That person who doesn't run mythic raids, shoundt talk about mythic raiding, or like pvp, I don't pvp at all, so I shouldn't complain about pvp or something like that.

You cannot silence ppl for having an opinion. What part of that you guys don't get??

Ppl can say anything they want and comment about any topic. There is nothing you can do about it .

All that matters in this forums is if you are within the CoC . That's about it

A bunch of posters with very high egos cannot have any discussion they just resort to insults against others and among themselves
10/22/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Momimfotm
Because their profile and armory are private.

That's kinda sad.
I post on 'rate this mog' threads and I like to do it on characters other than my main. Sometimes I get lazy and forget to switch it back.
It depends on how much I want to troll and harass other players, or post inappropriate topics. I would not use my main for such things.
I *usually* post on this character who is my main. But... I do sometimes post on other characters.

My alts all have different personalities, motivations, allegiances, etc.

Sometimes an issue comes up and I want to post on the character who it might pertain to most.

For instance, if I want to talk about my experience raiding up through Naxx40 in classic, or through BT in BC, then I will usually post from that original main character of mine so that anyone who looks him up will see the indicators that he had been there and done that.

Sometimes I post from my Alliance characters on Alliance issues. Not to pretend I am an Alliance main, but I have multiple max level Alliance alts I maintain, and I play both sides and am not really beholden to one faction or another. I'm not a Horde fanboi. Not an Alliance fanboi. Just a Warcraft fan generally, and sometimes when you post a thought that isn't echoing the fanboi's of a particular side, they will engage in an ad hominem attack on your idea assuming your a fanboi on the opposite side. Posting on a toon on their side tends to negate that kind of silly logical fallacy response.

Then there is just the fun of posting about things on characters where it's relevant. Any time I post about the Old gods or Void for instance, I like to post from my Shadow Priest. Her RP is very much as a Priestess of N'zoth (and outside my Void Elf I don't think a single one of my alts would consider an alliance with the Void), and so it's kind of fun to post in character from that perspective just because it's different.

Same thing when I'm posting about the Forsaken, I like to post about that from my Forsaken Mage. Because those Undead really would have a very different perspective on things from the living due to the nature of their existence.

So, it all just depends.

I don't have anything I post on from Shadow alts, I don't care to try and hide. I'm not perfect by any means, or the highest kind of elite player, but I'm proud of the logs and raider.io score I do have in terms of performance and experience, even if they are not the top of the top.

I think it is ridiculous to look at item level. LESS than HALF the playerbase raids, less than half PVPs, less than half does max-level dungeons. Blizzard has told us that.

The only time it matter to me is this:
(1) the poster talks as if they know better than the whole Blizzard dev team
(2) they are posting on a level 1 character

Other than that, I don't care. A level 60 player's opinion about leveling means as much to me as a raider's opinion about raiding.

And anyone who ONLY raids or ONLY does PvP, and tells us that "all of BFA is garbage" is dumb. I don't care if their iLevel is 1400. If they don't play MOST of the game, they can't criticize ALL of the game.
10/22/2018 07:46 AMPosted by Lemres

No, it doesn't. What you are causing is a fallacy; a very poor reasoning.

It doesn't matter whether the person is qualified in terms of raiding. It matters whether what they are saying is true. Nothing else.

The guy that has never set foot on a Mythic raid might be right and the guy that does Mythic raids every week might be wrong.

If the guy that has never set foot on a Mythic raid is wrong about something related to that topic, you don't say "You play LFR so you can't talk about this". You say "That's wrong because [and here you explain the truth about the topic]".

Well how could he give proper feedback compared to the person who does raid every week. Because If someone ques lfr is trying to change something about mythic raid, but the person who does raid every week who probably can give the right feedback.
Anybody who actually cared to try could probably figure out who my main is. I don't exactly make an effort to hide it. I just post on this toon because I like the xmog.

Achievements are account wide so if you look up my Feats, you'd see I have AOTC for G'huun(and all the others). I usually do post on my main, but I use alts when
- A thread is about a specific class, since I have all classes I use the proper one
- Whatever toon I feel in the mood for, I love my alts/how they look and sometimes I get sick of my main xD
- I don't however have any level 1 shadow alts, all toons I have I do level/play at some point