Item Level Scaling Needs to Go

General Discussion
11/02/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Altargirl
11/02/2018 04:30 AMPosted by Caelin
And with it's removal we will also lose the flexibility to level in the zones we want, instead of having zones designed for certain levels. That and we would lose the ability to scale up the drops from named mobs and quests based upon your iLvL. The ilvl scaling really isn't that big a deal, you will quickly out grow it and mobs go back to be a mild annoyance at most.

Mobs scaling to your level is a different beast than scaling to your ILvL. Gaining 50 ILvLs after reaching max level and still feeling much the same as when you first ding is a terrible feeling.

Good thing that’s not how it is.
11/02/2018 04:22 AMPosted by Righteouscow
This feature has been removed from Classic servers.
Dont you mean ALL features have been removed from classic servers?? And if you are complaining about slow leveling in 7.3.5 don't even think about classic.
I hate this attitude of "Everything is fine at 360".

Leveling is a thing, okay? Ever since they killed leveling speed it has made this game unfun. That's your answer then? Enjoy how much this game sucks until you get to 360? This is my main, and it isn't even 360 yet. I haven't unlocked fun yet?

Screw this.
11/02/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Corilan
At my item level mobs might as well be tissue paper again. Your power increase per ilevel outscales the mobs scaling per ilevel. It was this way in Legion also. It makes for a slower power creep.

they won't listen. maybe after 8.1 hits and they're decked out in 400+ ilvl, but even then I doubt it.
11/02/2018 07:36 AMPosted by Fluffergyrl
11/02/2018 04:22 AMPosted by Righteouscow
This feature has been removed from Classic servers.
Dont you mean ALL features have been removed from classic servers?? And if you are complaining about slow leveling in 7.3.5 don't even think about classic.

I may dabble in Classic to see if it lives up to the hype, but only if it's free/low premium rate. If it cost's like $60 + $15/month, they can keep it. I'm not paying twice for WoW.
11/02/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Altargirl
I'm surprised at the amount of people that are ok with this.

For me, a long time RPG fan, I always liked the power gain from new shinies.

Must be something I'm not getting here
Mobs scalin with ilvl is not the same as not getting more powerful. Because, and this is very important yet never seems to get a mention, the rate that character power increases with character ilvl is faster than the rate the mob survivability increases with character ilvl. You will always be stronger compared to world mobs if you have a higher ilvl, but the difference won’t be as large as it would be in a dungeon.

In addition, world mob damage doesn’t scale at all. So your survivability keeps going up and up. Now that I really feel on my Mage alt.

So it’s not an issue to me because it’s not an issue period. Your complaint that you don’t get stronger with a higher ilvl simply isn’t true.
11/02/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Phumbles
11/02/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Altargirl

Mobs scaling to your level is a different beast than scaling to your ILvL. Gaining 50 ILvLs after reaching max level and still feeling much the same as when you first ding is a terrible feeling.

Good thing that’s not how it is.

It kinda is tho.

I was about 280 when I hit max level. Now I am a little over 340 and stuff dies about the exact same speed now as when I hit max level. My progression feels pointless. All I did was change the COLOR of my gear.
11/02/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Altargirl
For me, a long time RPG fan, I always liked the power gain from new shinies.

Must be something I'm not getting here

I'm 344 on this guy and elemental. I definitely feel more powerful now than I did as a fresh 120 and mobs definitely die faster and in larger groups.
I just haven't had this experience at all.

For me, the horrible, horrendous, game-breaking ilvl scaling amounted to... a couple extra tiger palms and a blackout kick per mob? And even that has already started to come down, and I'm not even 350.

What am I missing?
You outstrip the mobs eventually so you CAN become the one button bulldozer you want to be at some point.
Scaling should be removed from the game, period.

If not removed, it should be completely 100% optional.

It's death to progression, particularly since Blizzard did not scale competently. Imbalance all over the place. Blizzard wants level restricted zones, but also wants to scale. (Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too) Obviously this doesn't work, hasn't worked, can't work. Ilevel scaling is adding insult to injury and is used as a barrier to trade and to equipping a raid now.

What a hairbrained idea. Game is not only unplayable, but it's not fun.

I want to feel stronger as I level, not weaker. And when I get gear upgrades I should be the only thing in the area that gets an upgrade. Not the mobs too, dammit.
11/02/2018 03:33 AMPosted by Altargirl
Why is this still a thing?

Because exponential curves get wonky at high levels and Blizz needed to impact both sides of the equation to even out the curve.

If you aren't pointlessly transfixed on the numbers, it simply doesn't matter. If you can't articulate why exponential growth curves are problematic at high numbers, then you're doing yourself a disservice paying attention to the numbers.
11/02/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Velara

Of course it shouldn't be optional.

Should the amount of throughput intellect gives you be at the whim of players? Of course not.

Scaling is purely relational math that people are blowing out of proportion because they don't understand the concept.
11/02/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Mvura

Should the amount of throughput intellect gives you be at the whim of players? Of course not.

Scaling is purely relational math that people are blowing out of proportion because they don't understand the concept.

You don't need to understand concepts to understand when something feels bad or doesn't. It's like Blizz saying "you think you know what you want, but you don't"

ILvL scaling wasn't a thing before Legion (as far as I know) so why all of a sudden is it something that needs to be done to correct a problem that wasn't there before? Nevermind trying to explain, my brain is obviously too little to understand your vast intellect.

I understand the concept of scaling just fine. I play other games that scale. It's Blizzard's "method" to which I object.

Scaling can be optional: FF14 provides purely optional scaling.

Scaling can accommodate level disparity in groups without robbing players of the sense of power and progression: SWTOR scales players up or down to the content, as does GW2.

World scaling can be done so that you retain power and progression and yet, can go anywhere and do any content at any level
: ESO has scaled the entire world. But it's all one level. Not one zone being x-xx and scaled.

All of the above games manage to scale the world or YOU in one way or another without depriving you of the sense of or of actual progression.

Blizzard has not. Blizzard scaling changes the content to your level not the other way around. This is significant because everyone in your group not the same level is combating different level mobs. Maintaining zone levels that are scaled just restricts content based on level (the opposite objective of scaling), Scaling the player up or down to the content ensures that everyone in group is fighting the same level mobs and facing the same challenges (OK higher level players may have more advanced abilities and better gear) but up/down scaling does not make content a faceroll and does furnish more diversity without penalizing lower level players for grouping with higher level players -- everyone gets the same experience, albeit different level rewards (to match player's actual level).

Blizzard's scaling is flat and they have zone-levels (insane really). As a result, every area is disproportionate and balance is non-existent. The mobs are flat HP scaled (just HP sponges) I mean Draenor trash mobs are like raid bosses, for god's sake. And worse, Blizzard mobs aren't encumbered by CGD as players are. In fact, Blizzard's scaling only makes things take longer. It provides no challenge or character progression, it isn't fun and, it just wastes your time, entirely.
11/02/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Altargirl

You don't need to understand concepts to understand when something feels bad or doesn't. It's like Blizz saying "you think you know what you want, but you don't"

ILvL scaling wasn't a thing before Legion (as far as I know) so why all of a sudden is it something that needs to be done to correct a problem that wasn't there before? Nevermind trying to explain, my brain is obviously too little to understand your vast intellect.

I'm with you. You don't need a weatherman to tell you it's raining.

Ilevel scaling is out of control here, especially given trading restrictions based on ilevel. Absurd!
Seriously? I didn't even know this was a thing. !@#$ I two shot non elite world mobs most of the time. And hell my DK that's sitting at 370 can pull 30+ mobs and nuke em down in seconds with breath. (Awesome for rare mount farming).

If it's a thing I'd suggest it caps at around 350.