I just wanna say I do not care about E-sports

General Discussion
11/02/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Dotem
I like e-Sports so go !@#$ yourself

That makes... 3?
Watching people play a video game is about as fun as watching paint dry. The only reason I watch is for the discussion and maybe to learn something but I need to be able to understand what I am watching in order to learn that is where good announcers come in. E-sport is cool but I want to play and have a rewarding game that rewards me for effort above others that make less of an effort.
Was thinking about the same thing. I could really care less about Esports. There are other platforms for this. I miss when WOW was a great RPG and MMO, and not an Esport.
11/02/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Brax
do not deserve to have their hobby ostracized

It's a video game. Playing has nearly zero real world employment application, promotes bad lifestyle behaviors, has less chance at leading to a prosperous and healthy adulthood than winning the Powerball lottery.

Actual sports: football, soccer, baseball, basketball, golf, and hockey have neighborhood and scholastic support starting nearly at the preschool level. Hundreds of colleges and sports teams and television channels make billions of dollars from those sports.

Could you honestly ever see parents supporting pre-adolescents to focus entirely on video games? Or colleges to offer scholarships and sponsor Overwatch teams?

Blizzard is ostracizing players from this particular hobby by taking a big dump on the game for this one market. If players stop liking playing the game then they aren't going to watch someone else play it.
I care.

There is nothing more primal and manly than two marvels of athletic ability pushing the human body to new feats in fierce competition.
Wow used to be an rpg, and that shouldn't take a back seat to esports though it's starting to feel like it is. esports are for mobas and whatnot. trying to make m+ into an esport is affecting other parts of the game as others have said.
11/02/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Cognyack
It's a video game. Playing has nearly zero real world employment application, promotes bad lifestyle behaviors, has less chance at leading to a prosperous and healthy adulthood than winning the Powerball lottery.

Actual sports: football, soccer, baseball, basketball, golf, and hockey have neighborhood and scholastic support starting nearly at the preschool level. Hundreds of colleges and sports teams and television channels make billions of dollars from those sports.

Could you honestly ever see parents supporting pre-adolescents to focus entirely on video games? Or colleges to offer scholarships and sponsor Overwatch teams?

Blizzard is ostracizing players from this particular hobby by taking a big dump on the game for this one market. If players stop liking playing the game then they aren't going to watch someone else play it.

This post reflects a lot of the existing and mostly unfair bias against video games, perhaps just because they are newer.

The chance of a child making a living from either traditional sports or e-sports remains effectively 0%, although I'm glad to see it moving to the same "0%" for both. However if we add in the incomes being made by streamers, fan site creators, and game company employees, video games are the better career bet by far.

While non-contact exercise has benefits for all, particularly in the first few hours per week, the reality is that serious competitive sports of the contact kind come with serious injury risks, some of which manifest only over time and are not visible until later in life. For this reason I would much rather my child play WoW or Fortnite than college or even high school football.

I think video games have exactly as much relevance to serious academics as traditional sports do, which is to say zero. I'd be fine if we as a society forced those colleges to admit they were running a for-profit entertainment business somehow bolted on tax free to their actual educational mission, but as long as they get to do it for one they might as well get to do it for the other.

If I had to name one benefit I believe in for traditional team sports, it is the team aspect of them -- something which again could apply equally to team e-sports.
11/02/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Xukon
11/02/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Dotem
I like e-Sports so go !@#$ yourself

I enjoy watching DOTA tournaments and stuff every now and then. But that isn't a game that gets ruined due to esports. WoW is.

lol go pick some herbs bro
blizz and esports are a joke lol.
11/02/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Aurigha
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I enjoy watching DOTA tournaments and stuff every now and then. But that isn't a game that gets ruined due to esports. WoW is.

o.0

I'm not a herbalist.

o.0

I'm not a herbalist.

then do w/e you want, but dont say stupid things on the forums.
11/02/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Kurtloder
I care.

There is nothing more primal and manly than two marvels of athletic ability pushing the human body to new feats in fierce competition.

You mean two nerds mashing a mouse button as fast as possible. I can think of other words then primal.
11/02/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Balefor
11/02/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Kurtloder
I care.

You mean two nerds mashing a mouse button as fast as possible. I can think of other words then primal.

Pinnacles of the human body. Feats of strength and agility that are unmatched. So athletic.
11/02/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Actasanc
eSports is where the money is

For who exactly? A few hundred players globally? Large and already profitable tech companies?

Do you honestly think current WoW players having their characters crapped on because of MDI are going to watch Blizzard eSports or patronize them? Do you believe non-WoW eSports fans are going to watch the MDI/Arena championships then pay $65 to see a game with 120 levels, broken specs, and across the board boring content before they can even hope to get into those specific niches?

MMORPGs and esports do not mix.

Look at the PTR Frost Mage massive nerfs. Solely due to Mythic+ and yet will extend to all areas of content in the game. As well as pruned to the bones classes, a longer GCD, and nearly every ability now being on the GCD.

So they are pushing for eSports money while hemorrhaging subscriptions?

$180M a month at peak subscription numbers. $82.5M a month per the last stated sub numbers ~9 months into Warlords of Draenor 2 1/2 years ago.

Do you honestly think WoW eSports will bring in that kind of money monthly?

No, but a new dev team that cares about WoW as an MMORPG and the people who play will grow subs, maybe back to near where they were before WoD. ActiBlizz does not have the vision to see that though. Makes me seriously wish that everyone would just quit at once.

Semper Fi!
I can't stand esports myself.
11/02/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Aurigha

o.0

I'm not a herbalist.

then do w/e you want, but dont say stupid things on the forums.

I didn't.
11/02/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Xukon
I DON'T CARE!

Stop ruining the game for esports. Seeing your little bit on the blizzcon stream made me need to post this.

Im getting sick of it too. After seeing the opening of blizzcon I know why.
11/02/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Cognyack

to be fair, this applies to all sports.
if the inverse were to be true, K-12 overwatch teams, collage scholarships, and pro tracers getting 100mil contracts, it wouldnt seem silly.
and, its getting there. once a kid can turn 18 and make enough money to live the rest of his life in luxery, its all going to blow up.

the biggest problems are pay, how long players can actually be at the top do to age, the question of what game will have a pro scene in 5 years time, and relevancy to people over 35.
11/02/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Brax
However if we add in the incomes being made by streamers, fan site creators, and game company employees, video games are the better career bet by far.

Prove this.

College football money supports television stations thus sports anchors and reports and analysts and the voice over guys and camermen not to mention the coaches and support staff and doctors and physical therapists and by extension the professors and maintenance people and groundskeepers or the newspaper and magazine guys and photographers and videographers, etc etc.

Programming and computer science in general? Strong industry with lots of opportunity. eSports, not so much. Playing WoW does not equate to having a knack for programming in general nor does it preclude having the looks/personality to be an "internet" sensation.

11/02/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Brax
I think video games have exactly as much relevance to serious academics as traditional sports do, which is to say zero.

True, but how many people know the top eSports players versus Lebron or Tiger or Peyton? People pay hundreds to sit in the cold and rain to watch professional outdoor sporting events. Can you ever see ~Sprint building a multi-million dollar 70,000 seat auditorium for eSports competitions with fans paying the equivalent to watch live?