Horde players: Who will you pick?

Story Forum
Prev 1 5 6 7 9 Next
Saurfang on most of my chars, but I'll see the Sylvanas side on my undead warlock.
On this character probably Sylvanas more or less just to see what the heck happens, and it seems weird to NOT choose her as a forsaken.

My paladin will choose Saurfang though. That way I can see the differences in the story, assuming there are any significant ones.
Honestly im going to choose Sylvanas. Since the first time she was announced warchief and bfa started I was curious how her character would be as leader so i'm sticking with it.
Sylvanas. I dont want a stupid civil war story retread.
The thing is, the options here aren’t very broad.

On one hand, we got maniacal, stupid-evil, Sylvanas using the Horde as a weapon to burn innocents and eat their children. I’ve already iterated my feelings on Sylvanas multiple times on the forums, so ill save everyone the trouble and simply state that i disprove.

On the other hand we have Saurfang, who i WANT to support but really can’t bring myself to do so. It would have fixed EVERYTHING if when Sylv told him to kill of malf, he could have been like “Kill him urself, I’m not your executioner” just something simple to show that he’s no ones bich. Instead we got mopey, depressed, sad man who’s mopey and sad all the time.

What happened to the man who threatened to kill Garrosh? I wanted to see THAT guy. I mean, Sylvanas literally insults his dead son right to his face, and he does nothing about it. He should have cleaved her in half were she stood for saying something like that. Instead he tries to get himself killed, gets captured, and then sits in prison for several months.

All in all, i vote for the secret 4th option, Vol’jin. I hope he returns quickly so he can boot Sylv off the throne already and restore stability within the Horde.
11/06/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Rothiron
11/06/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Vozul
I love Saurfang, and it breaks my heart that he and Sylvanas are at such odds. But ultimately he isn't innocent. It's hard to forgive him for how flippantly he disregards Horde soldiers' lives for the sake of his honor. Knowing he'd hoped Anduin would have killed Sylvanas fills me with absolute rage.
Whereas Sylvanas flippantly disregarding Horde soldiers' lives so she blight the Alliance and raise the Horde that didn't move out of the way fast enough as skeleton soldiers, is... dandy?
11/06/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Rothiron
11/06/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Vozul
I love Saurfang, and it breaks my heart that he and Sylvanas are at such odds. But ultimately he isn't innocent. It's hard to forgive him for how flippantly he disregards Horde soldiers' lives for the sake of his honor. Knowing he'd hoped Anduin would have killed Sylvanas fills me with absolute rage.
Whereas Sylvanas flippantly disregarding Horde soldiers' lives so she blight the Alliance and raise the Horde that didn't move out of the way fast enough as skeleton soldiers, is... dandy?

I never said that. Saurfang’s refusal to view himself as anything but a victim is what fills me with rage. Sylvanas at least understands the moral ramifications of her decisions and (un)lives with them. Saurfang is just so consumed by his regrets that he can’t focus on anything but his anguish.
11/06/2018 04:17 PMPosted by Vozul
I never said that. Saurfang’s refusal to view himself as anything but a victim is what fills me with rage. Sylvanas at least understands the moral ramifications of her decisions and (un)lives with them. Saurfang is just so consumed by his regrets that he can’t focus on anything but his anguish.

For real? The Forsaken are notorious for not taking accountability for their actions due to nursing a perpetual victim complex. Sylvie up through WotLK was consumed by a need for vengeance and treated the Forsaken like nothing more than tools for that goal (and she would have abandoned them if not for her crappy afterlife, which to this day is a MASSIVE core motivation for her).

Her entire character revolves around not taking responsibility for her actions; but instead actively avoiding the consequences. She doesn't "live with !@#$", she rationalizes everything away with her increasingly twisted ideology; or blames other things/people for her own behavior (like when she believed that Vareesa betrayed HER in War Crimes, when Sylvie intended to murder and raise her).
11/06/2018 02:44 PMPosted by Bronnix
Sylvanas. I dont want a stupid civil war story retread.

Reminds me of the Guns n Roses song

*waves a lighter slowly*
Doesn't matter. No matter what happens people will complain and !@#$% about it. People will quit the game. Really this is one of Blizzard's biggest mistakes which is quite funny when you think about all the mistakes they're making right now.
If statistics end up showing the Horde chose Sylvanas over all, the Horde will truly be dead to me.

Because then I'll know, once and for all, that the Horde CHOSE to be conquerors instead of heroes.
11/06/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Draile
If statistics end up showing the Horde chose Sylvanas over all, the Horde will truly be dead to me.

Because then I'll know, once and for all, that the Horde CHOSE to be conquerors instead of heroes.

Have you read the thread? Most of us are choosing a giant middle finger to this entire plot point. We know what the Horde’s identity is, and we don’t want another stupid guilt trip over events we were written into performing. Nor do many of us want to have this whole mess ‘restore’ the Horde to a Noblebright blandfest when the damned game launched with 25% of the Horde as undeniably darker in tone.

I didn’t like the Burning, to be honest. But I would have pulled the lever on those catapults if they’d let me - I’m sick of being told that atrocities are meant to be my moments of satisfaction, but at the same time judged for consuming content I paid for and that is our only story. I refuse to be self-loathing, and I refuse to be mad at Sylvanas for all of this when all I see from her in BfA is a fellow victim of this !@#$ narrative.

We’re not choosing to be conquerors. The game chose that for us - we’re just choosing to determine our own fate. And sure as %^-* the alternative isn’t heroism.
Saurfang on all 12 of my horde toons. I've hated sylvanas and the forsaken since vanilla.
11/06/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Yersynia
11/06/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Draile

Have you read the thread? Most of us are choosing a giant middle finger to this entire plot point. We know what the Horde’s identity is, and we don’t want another stupid guilt trip over events we were written into performing. Nor do many of us want to have this whole mess ‘restore’ the Horde to a Noblebright blandfest when the damned game launched with 25% of the Horde as undeniably darker in tone.

I didn’t like the Burning, to be honest. But I would have pulled the lever on those catapults if they’d let me - I’m sick of being told that atrocities are meant to be my moments of satisfaction, but at the same time judged for consuming content I paid for and that is our only story. I refuse to be self-loathing, and I refuse to be mad at Sylvanas for all of this when all I see from her in BfA is a fellow victim of this !@#$ narrative.

We’re not choosing to be conquerors. The game chose that for us - we’re just choosing to determine our own fate. And sure as %^-* the alternative isn’t heroism.

You mean, like democracy?

Choose your leader. You'll never have one you agree with 100%. But that's what this is.

That's what life boils down to, too.

It's cowardice to do anything less than choose.
11/06/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Yersynia

I agree with this very much.

I'm sure there are people that see the option of killing Sylvanas as their reward for putting up with this terrible narrative. There are also people that always enjoyed Sylvanas the character for the Forsaken story. Most of us never asked nor wanted her to become Warchief nor asked to be her accomplice in the genocide of the Night Elves or in her "Campaign of Destruction!". So killing her or rebelling against her does not feel like a reward. It just feels like further punishment for daring to enjoy a narrative that Blizzard has been offering us since Classic.

This is only on the question of Sylvanas. Most of us also love the Horde faction, and hate that Blizzard keeps reducing us into this hypocritical, unreliable and dangerous threat to the world. The Horde is just as responsible as Sylvanas for everything that's happened. The Horde is also responsible for Garrosh. Saurfang's Horde, whatever that may be, has been supporting Sylvanas since the beginning of her tenure. Saurfang returning and "righting" the ship will never change what the Horde has done under Garrosh and under Sylvanas. The political structure that gives individuals so much power that it can't be contested without Mak'Gora's or Civil Wars is bad enough on its own. The fact that Blizzard has decided to write the Horde as propping up or allowing Warchiefs that do not have the temperament to be effective Warchiefs implies a very deep darkness within the Horde that permeates every level and every faction including the Taurens.

For those of us that do not see a dead Sylvanas or a civil war as a reward for this travesty, choosing Saurfang is to continue our punishment. Which leaves us with either choosing Sylvanas or choosing the Beach. Most that are choosing Sylvanas do so as a middle finger to Blizzard.
On my Forsaken characters and my Death Knight? Sylvanas.

On my other Horde characters (Orc,Mag'har,Tauren,Trolls,BE, and NB)? Saurfang.

My Goblin? The beach, duh.

You can see where I'm going with this.
Sylvanas.

I hate how she's turned out but I hate the thought of another civil war angle more and Saurfang's not waiting for the perfect opportunity, he's just trying to oust a leader in the middle of a war.
I've installed faulty voting machines in every Horde polling place that will register any vote for either Saurfang or Sylvie as a vote for Tehd Shoemaker.

And all the couriers carrying the absentee and early voting ballots will suffer a trip and fall into one of the cages of my lab.

You're welcome, Hordies.
11/06/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Kelrexia
I've installed faulty voting machines in every Horde polling place that will register any vote for either Saurfang or Sylvie as a vote for Tehd Shoemaker.

And all the couriers carrying the absentee and early voting ballots will suffer a trip and fall into one of the cages of my lab.

You're welcome, Hordies.

Dark Lady bless you, you angel.
11/06/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Kelrexia

You're welcome, Hordies.

Perfection.