Horde PC narrative unsalvageable?

Story Forum
Currently the Horde PC has worked under Garrosh then stabbed him in the back. Then we worked for the Alliance and then burned their Homeland and people. Now we have worked under Sylvanas and are about to betray her.

Regardless of the circumstances, it doesn't paint a good light on the Horde PC. We are basically the most untrustworthy ally in wow at this point or the most hypocritical... Take your pick.

It might seem seem silly but alot of my enjoyment came from building a narrative around my characters in the game. At this point I just loathe what my character has become. I could play a hero, I could play a villian... but the the Horde PC is neither. They are nothing.
I've never sworn an oath to Sylvanas.
Was Legion really working for the Alliance rather than working with some of their characters?
11/06/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Treng

But you were there when the elves burned. You were there to grave rob corpses. You were there to reanimate the dead.

We are written to of either muttered "I know this is wrong but I'm a good boy" like Baine. Or you could say you never did the event... But if we are at the point where we write our character out of the story then why even engage in it at all.

Was Legion really working for the Alliance rather than working with some of their characters?

I literally rode on top of Malfurion as he excitedly introduced me to all his friends. I then rode with Tyrande to save her husband. I then tried to murder their whole race one expac later.

Neutral or not means nothing. This is a thread about character not party lines.
11/06/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Rhuna

Well, strictly speaking, it's working with everyone to save the world. But when you barely get any representation from your own faction and spend more time with alliance leaders and races than you do your own, it does feel like you're just working for them. Granted, I think that's still better than what happened in BfA, but it did feel a little lame at the time.

Going back to the topic,though, I haven't thought it salvageable ever since the prepatch. I feel like no matter which way it turns out, my character should probably be hanged by whoever runs the horde at the end.
The actual Horde PC doesn't exist in all those capacities though. Our characters, the actual little models running around murderhoboing, aren't lorewise the same person doing all of these things. Are you trying to say that one person was the Highlord, the Slayer, the Huntmaster, the Battlelord, the Princess Puff, the Supreme Nerdwizard and the Regional Manager? (I didn't finish all the class questlines).

Just fit your character, Reyvateil, in the story wherever you want, maybe fit some alts in other roles in the story. Maybe my Vozul wouldn't be at Teldrassil, but an alt of mine was. Unless Blizzard goes full Bioware there's little they can do to accomodate every player's canon.
11/06/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Sarm
Well, strictly speaking, it's working with everyone to save the world. But when you barely get any representation from your own faction and spend more time with alliance leaders and races than you do your own, it does feel like you're just working for them.

Fair enough.
meh if i were horde i wouldn't really care that much.

if blizzard literally gives me a quest to take's jainas head my character canonically would do it regardless of what i say or think.

The only thing that i would ask to blizzard is that don't lie to me, don't say that i am in the faction of the good bois, that my character is heroic when i betray the people who spend so much effort to help or save, if blizzard does that to the alliance, of course. because that isn't heroic, that is a maniac and there is nothing we could do about it.
Realistically, the Horde political structure should be demolished or reformed as it is designed to (badly) manage small tribes of Orcs, not a diverse world super power. More so, the Alliance should be looking to dismantle the entire Horde structure from top to bottom and either wipe us all out, occupy our cities or renew the internment camp project.

The game assumes everyone made a Blood Oath to Sylvanas. That's evidence by everyone mindlessly following her every command. Even if the Blood Oath was never made, that only further harms the character of every individual members of the Horde. Blood Oath or not, they have all chosen to continue following a Warchief that has led the Horde into a Total War scenario via the genocide of the Kaldorei people.

There are few things Blizzard could do to fix the Horde narrative for me.

every horde character is assumed to have an oath of loyalty to the horde and it's warchief.
11/06/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Vozul
The actual Horde PC doesn't exist in all those capacities though. Our characters, the actual little models running around murderhoboing, aren't lorewise the same person doing all of these things. Are you trying to say that one person was the Highlord, the Slayer, the Huntmaster, the Battlelord, the Princess Puff, the Supreme Nerdwizard and the Regional Manager? (I didn't finish all the class questlines).

Just fit your character, Reyvateil, in the story wherever you want, maybe fit some alts in other roles in the story. Maybe my Vozul wouldn't be at Teldrassil, but an alt of mine was. Unless Blizzard goes full Bioware there's little they can do to accomodate every player's canon.

Hey, I worked hard for that regional manager title, don’t demean it by saying it’s class quest was not important. Do you know how many differen stores I had to visit? I spent half a year traveling the EK! :P
11/06/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Rhuna

Six of one...

I mean, when you're saving an Alliance capital city as a Horde character, does it really matter whether it was in an official or unofficial capacity?
11/06/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Reyvateil
But you were there when the elves burned.
I was. But anyone who makes a character now wasn't.
Honestly? Yes, I think it is. If you actually try to RP the Horde storyline, you're forced to be either a coward, a traitor, or an evil sociopath, depending on how you feel about what you're being forced to do at any given time. I am beyond sick of the writing team using the Horde to tell Rule of Cool edgelord stories while forgetting that they're *forcing the player* to destroy their own sense of autonomy and roleplay with their whiplash, back-and-forth "story beats." Alliance characters are never asked to make that kind of narrative sacrifice in the portrayal of their own PCs, even though the story might suck for them in other ways. That's what I hate the most about all of this.

Sure, I deliberately boycotted the WoT, so my character "wasn't there," but then I *had* to be there at Lordaeron. I have chosen not to do any war campaign missions after unlocking the beachheads to give myself access to the World Quests, but that means I'm content gated out of future things that probably aren't related to the war campaign. Will I be able to do the Saurfang/Sylvanas choice quest if I haven't finished the war campaign? It wouldn't surprise me if that's a requirement, even though it requires me *serving Sylvanas by doing things I find reprehensible* in order to turn around and support Saurfang instead.

Like I said: you're forced to be a coward, a traitor, or evil, no matter what. It's pretty much destroyed any enthusiasm I have for playing.
It’s frustrating to play Horde because you’re railroaded into doing some absolutely horrible !@#$ all because “lmao more horde corruption” that honestly we could all do without. Their writing teams have a serious problem. The Horde PC, while his/her faction does cool stuff has to do some dastardly things that are unenjoyable and in conflict with what they had you doing days before hands (BFF’s with Malf and the LFD one day and then genocidinf the Nelfs the next). The Alliance PC never takes initiative and is always acting in a reactionary measure to things being done to them. The Alliance story doesn’t make you a bad guy, it just makes you an impotent punching bag to show how cool and strong the Horde are while they’re doing bad %^-* that is completely out of character for them.
11/06/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Verlius

every horde character is assumed to have an oath of loyalty to the horde and it's warchief.
Nope. We had to swear one to Garrosh. We never swear one to Sylvanas.
It is unfortunate that the narrative has people in such positions.

I am still content enough with my characters. Though I might be forced to make a new one to choose Saurfang's side. I couldn't curse any of my current ones with that, if given a choice.
11/06/2018 01:11 PMPosted by Eldrethana
It’s frustrating to play Horde because you’re railroaded into doing some absolutely horrible !@#$ all because “lmao more horde corruption” that honestly we could all do without. Their writing teams have a serious problem. The Horde PC, while his/her faction does cool stuff has to do some dastardly things that are unenjoyable and in conflict with what they had you doing days before hands (BFF’s with Malf and the LFD one day and then genocidinf the Nelfs the next). The Alliance PC never takes initiative and is always acting in a reactionary measure to things being done to them. The Alliance story doesn’t make you a bad guy, it just makes you an impotent punching bag to show how cool and strong the Horde are while they’re doing bad %^-* that is completely out of character for them.

Yeah, the Alliance narrative has its own share of problems and sucks in its own special ways: "lawful stupid," constant reactive vs. proactive footing, and total sh!tting on of various non-Stormwind races being key among those. But at least you never have to sacrifice *your own character's personal consistency and morality* while the narrative is crapping on you. Not saying that makes your bad story beats okay, but it feels a little better than being railroaded into being the bad guy against your wishes, *again.*

I hate the Horde narrative a lot, but I could *live* with experiencing Warchief Musical Chairs 2: Electric Boogaloo if *my own character, who I roleplay, was not forced to actively betray his values no matter which 'side' he takes.* Going from saving Malfurion and Tyrande in Valsharah to... this... is such a revolting turn of events that it makes me actively headcanon that my PC retired immediately after the events of Legion and is just enjoying his life BBQing spare clefthoof ribs in Nagrand. And as someone else upthread said, if you have to write your character out of the *entire narrative*, then what's even the point of playing anymore?
11/06/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Treng
11/06/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Verlius

Nope. We had to swear one to Garrosh. We never swear one to Sylvanas.

Looks like you indeed do.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Fate_of_the_Horde
11/06/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Sarm
11/06/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Treng
...Nope. We had to swear one to Garrosh. We never swear one to Sylvanas.

Looks like you indeed do.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Fate_of_the_Horde

Indeed you don't.

What say you? Will you help avenge Vol'jin? Will you drive the Legion from our lands?

Gossip For blood and honor, Warchief!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: I accept your pledge of loyalty, <name>. The Horde endures!
Lor'themar Theron says: Indeed it shall.
Baine Bloodhoof says: Well, said!