Will Classic will be fine without LFR?

Classic Discussion
There's good reasons for LFD and LFR. They just don't belong in Classic.
11/06/2018 03:49 PMPosted by Sidearm
LFD and LFR are for retail.

I actually hope its removed
11/06/2018 03:44 PMPosted by Jayawen
Do you think Classic success will finally settle this hot button topic? That the game doesn't need LFD or LFR to be successful?

I'm so tired that every time this debate it is brought up in the GD forums it is swarmed by like the same 20 posters just shooting down any and all discussion around the negative aspects this system brought to the game.

I hope the success of Classic finally proves once and for all that the game was just fine without those anti-social tools. That all they did is create a lot of apathy towards casual guild raiding, which was a huge contributor to creating stickiness for the game.

Honestly?

When I read the thread name I assumed trolling. But if you're coming from a GD perspective HAH I SEE WHY NOW.

Trust us, LFR/LFD made the game worse overall and Vanilla will thrive even more due to lacking them.
For 5+ years the game grew in popularity without LFD. LFD was introduced and ever since the game's popularity has been declining...

Coincidence or causation? I know which I believe is the case...
The game was fine without it.
pservers play fine without it today.

It was Blizzard that felt slighted that not enough players did dungeons/raids and put that in.
Do you think Classic success will finally settle this hot button topic? That the game doesn't need LFD or LFR to be successful?

I'm so tired that every time this debate it is brought up in the GD forums it is swarmed by like the same 20 posters just shooting down any and all discussion around the negative aspects this system brought to the game.

I hope the success of Classic finally proves once and for all that the game was just fine without those anti-social tools. That all they did is create a lot of apathy towards casual guild raiding, which was a huge contributor to creating stickiness for the game.

Until servers become dead and not enough to group with. Already going to repeat the same problems as classic.

Some clueless people think it impacts communities and they have no clue as to why the communities existed In the first place and had nothing to do with game mechanics.

No. Because, "Does Classic need LFD and LFR" is an entirely different question from "does retail need LFD and LFR."

LFD and LFR are like (apparently the name of a certain drug that begins with H is filtered here). They're horrible and destructive and ever starting them was a bad idea, and if the entity that's been addicted to them for years cuts them off it will die.
11/06/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Mightylink
It will be less for sure, but that was part of the fun about the game, seeing those top elite players roll into Ironforge with their raid gear inspired you to try hard to do that yourself.

This. I never raided in vanilla (plan to in Classic), but I always saw the raid gear and thought how awesome it was when I was a kid.

Now that I'm a grown man... I still think it's cool :(

I wanna be cool, too :'(
Fine? Well, depends on what you mean by fine.

Will the community be better behaved without LFR/LFD? Probably, though there will still be unpleasant people.

But, as time wears on and the population declines, fielding a full raid will become increasingly difficult, especially for the forty-mans. It was a problem even when Vanilla was in its heyday.

I do not believe LFR is the answer, however. Flex technology is a much better solution to this issue. Though you'd still need eight tanks for Horsemen, and good luck with that, Flex or no.
11/06/2018 04:43 PMPosted by Fallanaa
It will do fine without LFR, but not for the reason many think.

It isn't because LFR is inherently bad. It isn't. It is one of the greatest inventions in any MMO, ever.

It simply doesn't belong in Classic as it wasn't added until Cataclysm.

People will raid in Vanilla because they want to, not because it is expected.

Seeing people standing around in raid gear hoping to get attention are not good people, they might be good players, but they aren't good people. They aren't inspiring, they're just trying to show off. Making us for some deficiency elsewhere in their lives with their sense of epeen.

People that like Vanilla WoW didn't care about gear as with many Mythic raiders today. We liked raiding because of the team work and the people we got to do it with. I can't stress this enough to people that like LFR, it isn't about the gear, it was about who you were raiding with that made it fun.

LFR was a plague on WoW and the creators of it didn't have a clue what they were doing back when it was created. They lacked the foresight on that the impact this crappy system would have on the game long term.

This idea too, that the bulk of the player base didn't raid either was just another stupid lie that was put forth by Blizzard in order to appease casual players that weren't interested in raiding. It basically was a lazy way for Blizzard to give them content without having to actually create content casuals were actually interested in. Namely more world content, interesting professions, more quest content at max level.

You notice a trend with the modern game? It is more raid or die than it has ever been since the masses pretty much excepted LFR as the primary form of endgame.

LFR sucks period!
There are a lot of ways to form groups now with better social media outlets. Discord for every server and then sub groups with instances, leveling ranges, etc.

While it won't have LFD built in, finding a group will be incredibly easy once people are on board with using this stuff. I expect to be able to put groups together in a few minutes.
A dungeon at the press of the button is probably one of the worst things about retail I think, honestly. It just means you don't interact with people and form friendships like you would have to before, I've played retail they don't talk in dungeons they just facepull and go through the motions like NPCs (I know it's an over used meme but it's accurate) there's no social interaction of any kind the majority of the time. They treat the game like a job and the world as a chore so they can experience game.. it's not an MMORPG to me, community is essentially dead outside of roleplaying realms. Just look at the normal populated realms' forums compared to the large RP servers, they're graveyards. No characters, no drama, no real discussions, just guild recruitment.

LFR was probably the worst though it felt like I was playing with automated bots, there was no communication, just wiping and people constantly joining then leaving once they realized the raid was already half way through. The live playerbase are like zombies the majority of the time. No exaggeration there, that was my experience, it was depressing. They've been taught to think of each other as tools, or more often than not inconveniences.
If LFG and LFR are added to Classic, I'm out.
LFR was an answer to a problem that only Blizzard cared about. Most people who did not get to experience raiding where not upset they could not. They knew they could not put in the time to get that gear and they were okay with it. LFR and LFD just made it easier for pricks to jump from group to group to get the gear they wanted and piss on the group all along the way.

We are going to far in these MMOs for easy mode that it is killing or at the very least hurting the MMO genre. If I can get into a group to do whatever without much effort or even the need to communicate to this group to beat a dungeon then what is the whole point of even logging on? I have plenty of games where I can load up and not need to talk to anyone, they are called single player offline games. Just because not everyone will get to raid is not a good reason to hurt the main aspect of what and MMO is which is the PEOPLE. If there is no need to communicate to beat a boss then there is no need to treat people with any kind of respect. Everyone just becomes and NPC to you.
I don't see LFR in classic. I remember the 10th anniversary of LFR MC, it was a cluster<blank>.
It will be both
It will show that those who actively try to make a guild to run a raid tends to get ahead of those who try to pug every day.
This will show that puging wont actually help you get 'better' but rather show you are more or less getting carried by overgeared players.
11/06/2018 04:40 PMPosted by Jayawen
11/06/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Mayvas
It also gives you a reason to help the struggling player out. It's a lot easier to teach someone how to play better than it is to rage kick them and then wait a few minutes to get a replacement.

I miss this a lot about the game. Retail is a toxic cesspool filled with impatient people that will drop you for even the smallest mistakes.

I feel like there's almost a pressure to constantly be on your game, to know everything. I think it fulls the game with anxiety. It takes the fun out of things. Learning through practice is best and hell lets have a laugh while we are doing it.
Blizzard has already said no LFR or LFD. That should end the discussion of either.
Classic has LFR. It's called MC and BWL.
No lfd and lfr means this is dead on arrival. Way to go :(

I kid. I am glad it will not be here. I think its when I really stopped caring and was my decline in fun.