druids Wow Classic

Druid
Hey guys,

Strictly a pvp question, how were druids compared to shamans in vanilla? Was boomkin and elemental almost the same? I only played resto in vanilla and never really experimented too much with the dps specs. How was feral?
Only had BG's back then. Ferals where useful in BG's, running flags in WS, stealth guard and attack in arathi. Not the biggest killers but in that first battle in arathi at the center flag you could get a stun in, do some quick damage and go bear form and suck up a lot of damage. If you had a healer paying attention the other side could quickly wipe while trying to kill the annoying bear.

EDIT:
Ohhhhh... And Faerie Fire.... Nothing more satisfying than landing that on a rogue and watching them try to vanish and immediately pop out of stealth. IIRC that kept than out of stealth for a good couple of minutes.
Vanilla moonfire destroys everything
Druids were any entirely different animal (hurhurhur) in Vanilla. You didn't even have access to all your form until level 30, the last being travel form. The progression was Caster, Bear, Swim, Cat, Travel. And you had to do quests for each form after the baseline Caster form. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them. Just understand that they are coming.

In addition, if you don't have a solid group of friends to play with, you'll have a difficult time finding groups unless you play as a healer. Druid carried a massive negative dps and tank stigma in Vanilla. And you'll be playing with folks who remember that and new players who will have heard/read the tales of Vanilla.

With all of that... You'll be able to experience Druid in it's rawest form (hurhurhur). Powershifting alone is such an amazing thing to play with that it makes the class worth it. And, you'll be in 1.12, which is where a lot of the issues with the classes had been fixed or at least addressed so that there were more options. And, you'll have the advantage of having a super knowledgeable player base to get answers and tips and tricks from, compared to what was around back in the day. Although, I miss Allakhazam and Thottbot. Much less bloated and easier to navigate than WoWHead has become.

So, play Druid. Experience the class as it was originally designed and envisioned. 3 specs, not 4. Feral (Bear/Cat combined), dps Caster, healing Caster. Real Talent Trees. Powershifting (Oh so glorious). Being a true hybrid and seeing why the constant accusations of certain classes being such a thing today is just idiotic. Most of all, have fun with game design that doesn't just hand everything to you on a silver platter. Everything you will get you will have truly earned.
My buddy had boomkin before the chiken form, rocking all clothy gear from MC and strait killing people with moonfire lol
Loved feral in vanilla AV you could moonfire the npcs and cheetah form back to the grave yard to stop the NPCs from summoning the big frost elemental. Like said above feral couldn't really kill anyone but you couldn't die because you could out run anyone. Feral was the best base guard or flag runner. If your going for damage go shaman wind furry two hander.
11/08/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Yi
If your going for damage go shaman wind furry two hander.

Will shaman be horde only again? What about paladins? Can Tauren still be paladins? None of that was possible until BC.
11/08/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Tical
11/08/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Yi
If your going for damage go shaman wind furry two hander.

Will shaman be horde only again? What about paladins? Can Tauren still be paladins? None of that was possible until BC.
r

As I understand this is straight vanilla. Paladins will only be alliance. Shamans only be horde.

Also fun fact for feral druids you basically use rogue gear as much as you can because the druid gear was garbage for feral in vanilla.
Druids could run flags thanks to powershifitng, and they could heal.

The balance kit was really, really bad, as you had Moonfire, Wrath, Starfire, and Hurricane as a 21 point talent tree cap. No starsure, no moonkin form, no astral power or any of its other variations. No mana management either, and that absolutely mattered in Classic.

Feral ... might have worked? But you would be far, far better off playing a rogue, as rogues could 1v1 people while naked. Feral weapons didn't actually exist until the AQ patch, and I'm not sure there was a single one added below that raid when they finally invented it.
11/08/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Yi
11/08/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Tical

r

As I understand this is straight vanilla. Paladins will only be alliance. Shamans only be horde.

Also fun fact for feral druids you basically use rogue gear as much as you can because the druid gear was garbage for feral in vanilla.

Oddly not exactly. It depended on what you were doing. PvE Str was miles better and PvP was Agi>=Str depending on your role with a focus on Agi for flag carrying. This was because Str was ~2.5 AP per point while Agi was 1 AP per point (with a bonus to crit and armor).
11/08/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Ghrell

Oddly not exactly. It depended on what you were doing. PvE Str was miles better and PvP was Agi>=Str depending on your role with a focus on Agi for flag carrying. This was because Str was ~2.5 AP per point while Agi was 1 AP per point (with a bonus to crit and armor).

It's been a long time, but if I remember right rogues specifically got 2 AP per Agi. Maybe hunters too? That's why cats/bears were better off with Str, but Str leather was rare. There was something about straight AP being better than primary stat, but I don't remember why.
Yes and no. A lot of classic was all over the place. There was a lot of Str/Stam leather early on (BWL and earlier) and multi-stat around BWL and later.

See:
BWL
Draconic Maul (str)
Herald of Woe (multi)
Malfurion's Blessed Bulwark(str) (BiS...until BC if I recall correctly)

AQ multistat stuff
Pendant of the Qiraji Guardian
Bile-Covered Gauntlets
Guise of the Devourer
Vest of Swift Execution
I tried balance and feral both at various points in Classic.

Balance I gave up as nonfunctional in raid in early BWL due to lack of mana management tools.

Feral damage was bad, too, but at least you didn't have the mana limit. Tanking was almost functional for 5 man content and the troll raid if you had all the right gear. Back to back crushing blows were still an issue, and I'm pretty sure I took significantly more damage than a warrior, but I could tank better than I could dps in either spec. It took me forever to get that damn Heavy Dark Iron Ring, though.

Strength leather existed, but there wasn't all that much of it. A fair bit was semi-!@#$ty 4 or 5 stat items, but maybe they served some purpose in PvP. Luckly, nobody else wanted it either.
Oh the vanilla days when rogues would try and kill me and I pop bear and just watch the rogue die. It was slow and painful, which is the best way to watch a rogue die.

I miss vanilla. So much better than the crap Blizz has put into the game now.
In Vanilla you had to think outside the box. If you went strictly Balance or Feral you were pretty terrible.

To be an unstoppable juggernaut in PvP as a druid you had to become an attrition !@#$%! You go resto with a lot of caster DPS gear, take insect swarm and the basic low tier balance traits, and the feral interrupts.

Then you just laugh at everyone as you fiery fire, moonfire, insect swarm people while kiting with all your rooting abilities and heal when needed. As a druid, similar to Rogues, you ALWAYS have the option to run away if losing a battle and restealth, and nobody ever gets away from you!
11/08/2018 09:34 PMPosted by Hemoglobin

As a druid, similar to Rogues, you ALWAYS have the option to run away if losing a battle and restealth, and nobody ever gets away from you!

Man, how things have changed.