Classic is wayyyyy more difficult than retail

Classic Discussion
I have been reading people claiming vanilla is easier than retail since the retail has more complicated boss fights like not standing in fire and avoiding bad stuff. I can't wait until these people walk into naxx the first time and wipe on trash or get to a boss and realize they needed to farm resistance gear. Not to mention getting attuned before they can even set foot inside. I think once they release naxx all the retail players will slowly shrink back to retail and we will finally have the game to ourselves to wipe in naxx over and over. I plan on playing casual this time around but to beat vanilla you cannot be a casual. You have to make it your life. I am ok with not getting by naxx though as I didn't the first time either. I came close I guess but not close enough. So glad vanilla is back no more easy street!
Correction:

Classic will be way more time consuming than Retail.

Not more difficult.
I think most people just mean that bosses are mechanically simple compared to live.

The power differential between players and mobs is far greater than in retail. Players are generally much more vulnerable to mobs in vanilla and tend to have a much more limited pool of resources.
11/08/2018 10:03 AMPosted by Tarythia

Not more difficult.

A distinction without a difference.
High end raiding in Vanilla isn’t harder than Mythic raiding in Retail. Mythic+ dungeons can also be more difficult as you can keep scaling them upwards.

Everything else is harder in Vanilla, though.
They do not experienced that you grinded 1 month for 1 single piece of gear.

It was so much about gear and getting 40 people with gear at the same time, regularly. That was the challenge for raiding, especially ones who wanted to progress had to listen (not half afk).
11/08/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Faceroll
High end raiding in Vanilla isn’t harder than Mythic raiding in Retail. Mythic+ dungeons can also be more difficult as you can keep scaling them upwards.

Everything else is harder in Vanilla, though.
Tell me how you gonna get that sweet t2-t3 god like looking gear with the not that harder than retail 10 random pugs of yours in classic then (even if it will be 1.12 so like half difficulty compared old vanilla)?
It's way more time consuming and it's more difficult in the sense that healer resources need to be managed more carefully. DPS needed to be managed more carefully because of how threat works, but unlike current WoW, placement wasn't generally that much of a big deal. Tank threat was the heart of the raid. More threat = more damage and simultaneously less demand on heals.

Since DPS and healer resource management is not an issue and tank threat is not even an afterthought, 100% of raids are about placement and targeting.

Also, classic is now retail, so I'm not sure why people continue to use that term.
There are a lot of things current players take for granted. There is no Jeeves, repair bots or vendors, in Classic dungeons or raids. Don’t get me started with bags. If BFA were cursed tomorrow with original game bag restrictions, the butthurt would be so obscene, even Emperor Palpatine would nominate them for a Nobel Peace Prize. Absolutely loving multiple trash target kills in Mythic completely solo btw (oh yeah I forgot you have better gear than when you first ran it...that is so much harder). Just a few tweaks to BFA would make it actually similar to the original game difficulty, but like Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone, I don’t they could bear it. Elune help them if a BFA boss was actually tuned to be as difficult as Cthune before he was nerfed.
How many threads are we going to have of people saying Classic WoW is super hard?
If mythic raiding was tuned like Vanilla Naxx.... good luck to even Method (though I am sure they would pull it off). Retail is mechanically difficult, but can still be forgiving when mistakes are made. Mythic+ is an exception the forgiving part though once you reach those levels, but you are not getting appropriately rewarded for that effort at that point. Naxx is overtuned difficult which makes it completely unforgiving when mistakes occur. If the tank dies, you can't just Bres him and things will be recoverable. There is no recovery.
11/08/2018 10:31 AMPosted by Menard
How many threads are we going to have of people saying Classic WoW is super hard?

When completing four quests rewards raid quality gear in BFA, its pretty easy to see how they'd make that comparison.
It is, at every level.

At the same time, it's not really very hard until (and unless, in most cases) you get to the most advanced raids. For most of the game, "way more difficult than retail" is a difference between, "So my level 13 priest just killed a level 19 worgen in Silverpine Forest effortlessly" and, "So my level 13 priest was strolling through Silverpine Forest when a bus hit her. At the graveyard, I looked at my combat log and saw 'Son of Arugal hits you for fifteen kajillion damage.' When I went back to retrieve my body, I had to wait for a minute because this level NINETEEN! elite was too close to the body until it wandered away."

In other words, it's a reasonably balanced game, while retail is--as someone here put it--a giant bouncy house.

(May not apply to Mythic+; I'd like to propose the radical idea that if you need to play through most of the game before it stops being really easy, that means the game's really easy.)
11/08/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Melima

It was so much gear and getting 40 people with gear at the same time regularly as the challenge for raiding, who actually listens (not half afk)

Loot sharing will end this
Correction:

Not more difficult.

This is spot on, although it is a bit harder to level.

Mythic content is no joke, and encounters are far from the simple encounters that many of Vanillas raids were. The primary difficulty of Classic raiding is going to be finding 39 other people to show up regularly and stay focused for at least 2 hours.
11/08/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Anathraxus
11/08/2018 10:31 AMPosted by Menard

When completing four quests rewards raid quality gear in BFA, its pretty easy to see how they'd make that comparison.

Or getting a legendary from kicking squirrels.
11/08/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Clappncheaks

It was so much gear and getting 40 people with gear at the same time regularly as the challenge for raiding, who actually listens (not half afk)

Loot sharing will end this

Loto sharing will kill anything even remotely challenging in Classic (if 1.12 not alreayd did on a MC/BWL lvl), Naxx might be alright unless they nerf it. (though 1.11 NAxx > 1.12 is already indirectly nerfed by buffing classes...)
Correction:

Not more difficult.
Correction:

Classic will be way more difficult and time consuming until end-game, where Retail finally pulls ahead with mythic difficulties.
Let me rephrase this a bit. Ok gearing a 40 man raid with a few offsets for extra tanks when only 3 pieces of gear drop per boss is indeed time consuming but that challenge is what makes vanilla and builds friendships. That said even once guilds get geared even the trash in nax is deadly. It takes raid focus the entire time. I predict less guilds finish nax then finish mythic endgames. Assuming blizzard manages to reproduce vanilla in it's authentic form. If you want a challenge play vanilla if you want to afk during raids do retail. Yes mythic is challenging but you only need to gear 25 people and it rains gear. You might go a month in between getting gear in vanilla I went 2 months sometimes but I considered myself unlucky. I don't mean to put retail in the spot it can be challenging as well in different areas. It's more what you make it but you can chose the easy path. In vanilla there is no easy path.
You really only need resistance gear for a couple fights in Naxx.

Much of the challenge of classic WoW comes from coordinating 40 people, and the actual work you have to put into preparing for raids.

You can't instantly que from your capital and magically teleport the raid of 20 strangers there. You have to actually farm resources.

It's why being part of a solid guild matters in classic.