Classic is wayyyyy more difficult than retail

Classic Discussion
Difficulty in this sense means that there are more mechanics to deal with and more variables to consider. In terms of raw stats and preparation, Classic is way "harder," but its encounters are much simpler in practice.
11/08/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Buzzkeel
It's more what you make it but you can chose the easy path. In vanilla there is no easy path.

Vanilla just doesn't let you get away with some of the unusual things retail does, that's it. I wouldn't call requiring more time and more visits to MC "more challenging". We brought groups of 40 nobodies into MC and found moderate success (of course, the strats were all over the internet by that point.)

If "you can't get away with being as cocky" and "everything takes many times longer" is challenge, well, the only thing that's really challenged then is patience, not skill.

And the scarcity of loot doesn't count towards difficulty. Not when you can just re-run places. Challenging, sure - on my patience, as above. But not so difficult.
11/08/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Gygen
There are a lot of things current players take for granted. There is no Jeeves, repair bots or vendors, in Classic dungeons or raids.

Just to be 100% authentic there actually were repair bots that were expensive to make
11/08/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Buzzkeel
I have been reading people claiming vanilla is easier than retail since the retail has more complicated boss fights like not standing in fire and avoiding bad stuff.

It's true. From a technical standpoint retail is much harder.
From a commitment standpoint vanilla was much harder.

But keep in mind that most of the people trashing classic only "raid" LFR.
They likely won't be clearing deadmines in classic.
11/08/2018 10:03 AMPosted by Tarythia
Correction:

Classic will be way more time consuming than Retail.

Not more difficult.

No, it will be harder...in general. There are parts of retail that are harder, but 99% of retail has been so gutted to appease the lazy masses that a strategically positioned drinking bird can get you in full epics within a week of starting.
This think 'difficulty' is all opinion based by what the player perceives to be difficult.

The boss mechanics in vanilla are simpler and easier, but certian things aren't viable like fire mage in MC. Resistance is a mechanic, but you can easily overcome with time farming res gear.
You have reduced DPS/HPS by equipping resist gear, but 10 years of theory crafting and an ageing player base has us doing more DPS/HPS than vanilla raiders.
Organising 40 people is the hard part of 40 man raiding. Does organisation count as difficulty?
11/08/2018 10:03 AMPosted by Tarythia
Correction:

Classic will be way more time consuming than Retail.

Not more difficult.

It's both actually.

It will be difficult for most people to dedicate the time needed to maximize their characters in classic.
11/08/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Gygen
There are a lot of things current players take for granted. There is no Jeeves, repair bots or vendors, in Classic dungeons or raids. Don’t get me started with bags. If BFA were cursed tomorrow with original game bag restrictions, the butthurt would be so obscene, even Emperor Palpatine would nominate them for a Nobel Peace Prize. Absolutely loving multiple trash target kills in Mythic completely solo btw (oh yeah I forgot you have better gear than when you first ran it...that is so much harder). Just a few tweaks to BFA would make it actually similar to the original game difficulty, but like Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone, I don’t they could bear it. Elune help them if a BFA boss was actually tuned to be as difficult as Cthune before he was nerfed.

Actually repair bots were 8n Vanilla
11/08/2018 04:34 PMPosted by Script
11/08/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Buzzkeel
I have been reading people claiming vanilla is easier than retail since the retail has more complicated boss fights like not standing in fire and avoiding bad stuff.

It's true. From a technical standpoint retail is much harder.
From a commitment standpoint vanilla was much harder.

But keep in mind that most of the people trashing classic only "raid" LFR.
They likely won't be clearing deadmines in classic.

From a twitch reaction standpoint retail is harder, no question. However that is not all that should be included in "technical standpoint". Things like threat and resource management that are basically non-existent in retail but heavily influenced vanilla raids, for example, are technical aspects...
Harder, easier, whatever. Retail uses addons that literally tell you what to do every step of an encounter. Most people use addons that even tell them what buttons to push. It's literally gaming by number.

Vanilla, is raw. I hope they prohibit the onslaught of addons that have made retail into a paint by number simulator.
11/08/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Bettyxboop
Retail uses addons that literally tell you what to do every step of an encounter

This will be in Classic as well.

Most people use addons that even tell them what buttons to push

This will be in Classic as well.

Legion addon API will be available with Classic information.
"Classic is SUPER hard!"

"Blizzard HAS to tune MC to be harder or people will ding 60 and walk in with greens and clear it with 0 effort."

o_o
Vanilla, is raw. I hope they prohibit the onslaught of addons that have made retail into a paint by number simulator.

Wait what? Decursive and there was a healing addon back then, as well as Boss Mods and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OP macros too.
Vanilla WoW has a much higher skill floor while leveling.

Retail WoW is pretty much mindlessly easy while leveling, but at end game heroic dungeons and mythic raiding the skill ceiling shoots into the stratosphere.

Vanilla WoW difficulty is often more about strategy and resource/threat management, whereas Retail WoW can be purely twitch based and otherwise streamlined.

That's pretty much it. They are drastically different games.
It is, at every level.

In other words, it's a reasonably balanced game, while retail is--as someone here put it--a giant bouncy house.

Lol at the giant bouncy house description. It really has gotten out of hand in retail, I've been saying so for years, glad others agree with me. I rolled a little bit on some vanilla servers and my wife came over and watched for a moment while I was killing some murloc. She goes "sooo... this is taking a lot longer than usual isn't it?" Guess she's watched me kill a lot of the buggers over the years lol.
Who.

Cares.

Play the game that you want. No one "side" is better than the other.
11/08/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Xanthak
Who.

Cares.

Play the game that you want. No one "side" is better than the other.

But my daddy is bigger than your daddy!
And the scarcity of loot doesn't count towards difficulty. Not when you can just re-run places.

Maybe I'm misreading this but 3-4 pieces of loot (per boss) divided by 40 players once a week?
11/08/2018 10:31 PMPosted by Purusha
And the scarcity of loot doesn't count towards difficulty. Not when you can just re-run places.

Maybe I'm misreading this but 3-4 pieces of loot (per boss) divided by 40 players once a week?
Some raids had unusual lockouts. I think Onyxia's Lair was 3 days if I am not mistaken.
11/08/2018 06:37 PMPosted by Fyedora
Vanilla WoW has a much higher skill floor while leveling.

Retail WoW is pretty much mindlessly easy while leveling, but at end game heroic dungeons and mythic raiding the skill ceiling shoots into the stratosphere.

Vanilla WoW difficulty is often more about strategy and resource/threat management, whereas Retail WoW can be purely twitch based and otherwise streamlined.

That's pretty much it. They are drastically different games.

It wasn't "just" with leveling and raiding though. Professions have been gutted, there are no keys or attunes you need. There are no more dungeons that take more than 20 walking down a hallway and you actually had to go to the dungeons instead of teleporting there. You had reagents/ammo/soulstones/poisons to remember. You can argue about how difficult those things were, but they added a layer to the game that has been removed.