Craziest theory you've actually entertained.

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
Traps actually are gay.
11/08/2018 06:26 PMPosted by Krelanis
11/08/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Snowfox
I often entertain the theory that I'm actually an advanced bot written by Blizzard and being tested here as an AI for future games.

I entertain the theory that you're a bot too.

i entertain the notion that she's a vulpera, hidden amongst us, pretending to be a nelf.
double slit theory, which states that in the presence of a recording device capable of storing collected data, material reality solidifies from a soup of multiple possibilities.
I have the crazy theory that most forum posters are actually AI bots!

Take that Snowfox poster for example, she must be a DARPA project :P

Also all the Blue and Green posters are just soulless fake forum bots who imitate real people.
11/08/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Zimos
Rather interesting thought, tell me more.

It's been awhile so I don't have any links. But there's that one species of ant that spans multiple continent. Supposedly the theory is that the ants crossed the ocean by hitchhiking on boats.

But ants don't reproduce that way. They would need a queen on the boat right? Then keep that queen alive for the entire trip. (Unless there's something special about this particular ant species I don't know about).

Then there was apparently a Native American tribe with some hieroglyphics or something very similar to Egyptians who lived at the same time. There's also some other theories about ancient civilizations having influences on each other.
That WW2, or more specifically, WW1, never actually ended. It just changed forms. WW2 was little more than a continuation of WW1, whereas the interwar period was kind of like an eye of a hurricane. WW2 "ended" in terms of shots being fired and bombs being dropped, but the cold war simply took its place, and this cold war hasn't really ended to this day. Instead of an arms war, however, it's a culture war where former soviet states actively seek to destabilize their former enemies within. How? Poisoning the minds of its populace; no great nation falls through conquest, but through the decay of its traditional, spiritual, and cultural foundations. All of this beginning as a natural result of globalization between very different nations, sparking aflame in WW1. The last hope to end this was in WW2 with a rise of nationalism/isolationism, but the wrong side won WW2, forever damning such ideologies; I won't go further than this, because that's a massive can of worms and I can already hear the sharpening pitchforks.

War and disease the natural way humanity's population is kept in check. Speaking on this, suicide may often just be an internal kill-switch when the organism is wholly convinced it is a deadweight on the rest of the species.

To go even further, somewhat tieing into the first point, there is a natural bottleneck forbidding lifeforms from one planet inhabiting another. The idea of sentient aliens coexisting with each other is pure utopian fantasy; humans have empathy with each other because it is naturally built within them. Two different species do not. Two apex beings of the same type, such as sentients, cannot inhabit the same territory. They will be different in every way aside from the capability of logic, learning, and self-awareness. Even if we set foot on a world not inhabited by sentient beings, we will be introducing all sorts of foreign microbes into their environment while they introduce the same into ours, destabilizing the entire planet's ecosystem. What this means is that we're stuck on Earth, and terraforming other planets to be Earth-like.

True or false as these may be, I'd be unphased by either. In the end, all will be made right as it was intended to be.
11/08/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Blackseven
What is the craziest theory you've actually entertained, and did you get swayed? This could be anything from conspiracy theories, otherworldly origins, flat earth, etc. For me, I entertained the Hollow Moon theory, which is the thought that the moon is an artificial satellite placed there by .... someone or something? Can't say I'm swayed but our moon is definitely odd.

The craziest conspiracy theory I've entertained recently is that nothing but our five senses are real, anything outside of this can't be proven and is therefore an illusion and can't possibly be 'real', that science is God and all the mainstream scientists are 100% correct as they are all smarter than the rest of us (apparently), that climate change is a real threat, and that our politicians and leaders do in fact have our best interests at heart and are fighting for a better future for us all. Also vaccines are completely harmless and must be mandatory to protect people from themselves.

I actually cannot disprove what I just said you see. It might be true. How the bleep would I know?
11/08/2018 08:48 PMPosted by Elae
The craziest conspiracy theory I've entertained recently is that nothing but our five senses are real,
The problem with that is we have no way of obtaining uncorrupted data from our five senses.

We are only aware of the information our brain arrives at from its processing of sensory input. If you believe strongly enough you are seeing something, for example, and visual input is unclear, you may clearly "see" what you are expecting to see until circumstances prove you were mistaken.

We all know about hallucinations, but assume either we are hallucinating or we are perceiving accurately. However our deep-seated expectations, beliefs and prejudices mean we are incapable of reliably accurate perception, and everything we see is reality tainted by our individually nuanced brains, causing it all to be partially a hallucination.
I've actually got quite a good one here:
  • Susan: "All right. I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."
  • Death: Really? As if it was some kind of pink pill? No. Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
  • Susan: "Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little-"
  • Death: Yes. As practice. You have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
  • Susan: "So we can believe the big ones?"
  • Death: Yes. Justice. Mercy. Duty. That sort of thing.
  • Susan: "They're not the same at all!"
  • Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet- And yet you act as if there is some ideal order in the world, as if there is some rightness in the universe by which it may be judged.
  • Susan: "Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point-"
  • Death: My point exactly. There is a place where two galaxies have been colliding for a million years. Don't try to tell me that's right.
  • Susan: "Yes, but people don't think about that. Somewhere there was a bed..."
  • Death: Correct. Stars explode, worlds collide, there's hardly anywhere in the universe where humans can live without being frozen or fried, and yet you believe that a bed is a... a normal thing. It is the most amazing talent.
  • Susan: "Talent?"
  • Death: Oh, yes. A very special kind of stupidity. You think the whole universe is inside your heads.
  • Susan: "You make us sound mad."
  • Death: No. You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?

-- Excerpt from Hogfather by Terry Prattchet

And for those who want the "watchable" version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQXJmpwM4

---

In some ways, you could say I still believe it.

Is the world really a better place? Hell if I know.
But how could it be if I don't try to make it better myself?

You won't know unless you keep believe and keep trying to make it a reality.
Human beings are actually a hybrid great ape and Anonychai, created to be slave labor by ancient aliens. The actual history of human origins is written in ancient Sumarian texts depicting how we came to be, as well as how the ruling class was bestowed greater knowledge than the average human, thus thrusting a primitive race into modern civilizations. The knowledge is out there, sheeple, wake up!
The strangest is that there are two very different Azeroths, one being set in a more-or-less hi fantasy and the other in a sci-fantasy setting. Is it co-incidence or is there something odd going on?
Blizzard cares.

Human beings are actually a hybrid great ape and Anonychai, created to be slave labor by ancient aliens.

Then how come the aliens are letting me have fun playing wow?
That there are unknown "hidden" radio frequencies secretly used by governments and/or marketing firms that cannot be audibly heard, or register with any type of frequency listening device, but your brain can "hear" them. I got the idea from waaaaaay back when I was a child and I caught the briefest of images of a subliminal ad that was like 1-2 frames in a movie at a drive-in theater. I thought...hmm...if your eyes can be deceived rather easily, why can't your ears be deceived just as easily?
Lost city of Atlantis was located in the Eye of the Sahara. Too many similarities between Plato's description and that area.

Ghosts are real. I have a disorder (nocturnal lagophthalmos) that causes me to occasionally sleep with my eyes open. I swear I wake up sometimes with vivid dreams of people walking around me in my bedroom.
The Indoctrination Theory from Mass Effect 3. I believe that to this day.
alternative facts. My wife had to harp on me for 15 years before I gave up on it. still George Orwell wrote the novel 1984, which portrays a totalitarian state that limited freedom of thought by creating its own language called "Newspeak." The political purpose of of Newspeak was to reduce the English language to simple concepts that reinforced the totalitarian dominance of the State. Moreover, words with negative meanings were removed, such that "bad" became "ungood". was still a good book to read for me.
That blizzard has me on some sort of shadow loot ban double secret probation thing ... I haven't won a /roll or gotten a real RNG upgrade since BC lolz. Gearing up via warfronts & WQs, crafted gear and buying stuff off of the auctionhouse FTW!
we are some sort of gold mine-ing alien or something wanted gold.
why does everyone like gold? 5,000 years ago, 50,000 years ago, all they cared about was gold.
it doesn't actually do anything for humans
whats the point of it ?
11/09/2018 02:07 AMPosted by Longos
we are some sort of gold mine-ing alien or something wanted gold.
why does everyone like gold? 5,000 years ago, 50,000 years ago, all they cared about was gold.
it doesn't actually do anything for humans
whats the point of it ?

Its shiny. We all love shineys. That and gold never rusts, corrodes or becomes diminished over time. A million years from now a bar of iron or steel or aluminum will be dust.. but a bar of gold will still be the same shiny bar of gold. I imagine humans in antiquity appreciated the permanence of gold.